Spy Classic Addon needs to go

you first replied to me, then I replied. Anyway IDC. Break the add on, its bad. I will break the cycle and not respond to your trolling anymore.

How are you still on this? You yourself said the combat log range is large. Spy doesn’t give you coordinates of stealth players, or show you the direction from which they’re approaching. It doesn’t even indicate why those players went into stealth; they could be preparing to attack a mob and often are. All you know is that someone has gone into stealth somewhere, which is what you assume is happening all the time anyway in contested zones.

By the way, I just got ganked by a level ?? rogue. I saw them on a mount, they rode by, I saw the stealth notification, and I didn’t think much of it and continued fishing. If you think rogues and druids can’t gank Spy users, you’re wrong.

2 Likes

so what is the purpose you have it then? What does it do for you?

Yesterday? Yea probably. That’s not what you responded to that started this discussion tho. You responded to one of my replys to someone with someone else.

Sorry I didn’t realize trying to keep things straight was trolling.

1 Like

u SEEM new to world pvp.

Spy ADDON rocks

Should stay FOREVER AND EVER.

/tencharacters

3 Likes

I like seeing that the zone I’m in is active. In fact, I wish Spy would show me friendlies, too — a sort of real-time /who constrained to nearby players.

I don’t know what that means.

Here is what it does.

About Spy

This addon scans the combat log for actions performed by enemy players. If an enemy player is detected the addon will attempt to determine their class, race and level based on the ability that was used. The addon will then sound an alert and add the enemy player to its list. Spy can be configured to announce enemy player encounters and share data with other Spy users in your party, raid or guild.

The Spy window

The Spy window will initially appear under your character portrait, but can be moved by dragging the title bar. The title bar contains the following buttons:

Stats: Opens the Statistics window which shows a list of all enemies encountered, the win/loss records (if a killing blow was recorded) and the last location and time the enemy was detected.
Clear: Manually clears all enemy players that have currently been detected. Holding the Control key down while clicking this button will enable/disable Spy while leaving it displayed.
Left/Right: Navigates between the Nearby, Last Hour, Ignore and Kill On Sight lists. Spy is configured by default to switch back to the Nearby list when the next enemy player is detected.
Close: Hides the Spy window. Spy is configured by default to show itself again when the next enemy player is detected. Alternatively you can type /spy show to manually show the addon.

The Nearby list

As enemy players are detected they will be added to the Nearby list. Hovering over entries in the list will display a tooltip with the enemy player’s details, including the last seen time and location. Right-clicking on them will displays a drop down menu which will allow you to manually:

- Remove the enemy player from the Nearby list.
 - Add/remove the enemy player to/from your Ignore or Kill On Sight list.
 - Announce the enemy player's details to a chat channel of your choice.
 - Set multiple Kill On Sight reasons, if the player is on your Kill On Sight list.

If enemy players remain undetected they will be removed from the Nearby list after a configurable amount of time. The Nearby list will always sort by the time each enemy player was initially detected, with enemy players who are on the Kill On Sight list or actively performing actions being placed at the top of the list.
The Last Hour list

The Last Hour list displays enemy players that have been detected in the last hour. It will always be sorted by the time each enemy player was initially detected, with those most recently detected appearing at the top of the list.
The Ignore list

The Ignore list is where you can place enemy players you have deemed harmless. Spy will not generate any alerts for enemy players on your Ignore list. You can use the drop down menu to add/remove enemy players to/from the Ignore list, or alternatively hold the Control key down while clicking on an entry in the list to add/remove enemy players.
The Kill On Sight list

The Kill On Sight list is for enemy players you especially want to know about. When enemy players on your Kill On Sight list are detected a warning will be displayed and an alarm will sound. You can use the drop down menu to add/remove enemy players to/from the Kill On Sight list, or alternatively hold the Shift key down while clicking an entry in the list to add/remove enemy players.
Minimap detection

If you can track humanoids then you will be able to detect known enemies by hovering over their position on the minimap. This does not work in battlegrounds and arenas. The level and class of known enemy players is displayed in the minimap’s tooltip.
How can Spy help you?
Not wanting to be ganked

Spy will alert you whenever an enemy player is detected, it will be harder for them to attack you by surprise but you should quickly decide whether to fight or run.
Want to be the one to do the ganking

Spy will alert you whenever an enemy player is detected, however depend on range you will still need to find them to initiate combat.
Know when your enemies are nearby

Spy will sound an alarm when a Kill On Sight enemy player is detected. Usually you would add an enemy player to your Kill On Sight list when you are certain they will attack you. Spy will remember who your enemies are and will make sure you know when they are around.
Know when enemy players use stealth capabilities

Spy will warn and sound a specific alert when it detects that an enemy player is using stealth. You should no longer be surprised by rogues or druids in the area but attacks from stealth could still be deadly.
Looking for enemy players

Enemy players will automatically be added to the Nearby list whenever they attempt any combat action. You can use the addon to locate them as you move around a zone and they come within range.
Getting help when you encounter enemy players

Spy can be used to announce encounters to your party, raid and guild. Other Spy users in your party, raid or guild who are also in the same zone will have your encounters added to their Nearby lists. This is a great way for a guild to track down their enemies.
Getting revenge on an enemy player’s guild

Spy is also capable of displaying a warning when a player in the same guild as someone on your Kill On Sight list is detected. This option can be enabled or disabled via the Interface Addons window.
Knowing how many times you’ve won/lost against an enemy player

Spy will record when you get a killing blow against an enemy player. Likewise, it will also record when an enemy player gets a killing blow against you. These statistics can be seen in the tooltip that appears when you hover over the enemy player’s entry in the lists and is shown in the statistics window…

I was quoting your post to agree with it, but circumventing the character limit to post.

2 Likes

How is it an even playing field when you are made aware someone near you has gone into stealth.

These are things that happen when you are automatically made aware:

A Human of any class will pop perception and find you
Everyone will make sure to stay at max hp and have all CD’s available and prebuff

A hunter will put on track hidden/pop flares, mark you and instantly gimp you
A warrior will change stances and rage
A priest will bubble and renew
A shaman will drop totems
A rogue/druid will go into stealth
A paladin will consecrate or do nothing because well, Paladins murder Rogues
A warlock, same as Paladin
A mage will nova, AE, blizzard, blink away

OR everyone can just mount and run away since they detected you at max range and if you are stealthed, even sprinting, they have time to mount and run.

So now stealth classes have to play AROUND an addon that changes the way the classes were meant to be played, that is the definition of game breaking.

1 Like

Stealth classes have been having to play around people being able to hear their very distinctive stealth sound for 15+ years. The addons that parsed combat logs for that information never mattered.

3 Likes

You contradicted your own point by first saying this addon and Paranoia existed in Vanilla so Spy is fine. Then you go on to say Classic is not Vanilla, and I agree this is not vanilla, let’s not repeat the mistakes through the years that brought us to where retail is now. Literally the development of additions whether 3rd party or in game that make the game less dynamic/multifaceted and more about ease of use and efficiency is what destroys the game. Rather than thinking about what makes the game easier for YOU, think about what is actually healthy for EVERYONE and the game.

This line of thinking that “if the vanilla client allowed it, it should always be allowed” validates LFG/LFR being acceptable as well, SPY/LFG/LFR all use data that is readily available within the client and automates it. By automating these functions you remove actual player actions which removes essential parts of the experience of playing the game. Such as ACTUALLY HAVING TO LOOK AROUND YOUR CHARACTER IN THE WORLD TO SPOT ENEMIES, or having to talk to people to form a group.

Regardless, you cherry pick a sentence here or there anytime I write and you just disregard anything you can’t argue against. So I’m done responding to you.

Firstly, that requires a player to actual listen and pay attention to every sound. Again, a player action, part of being immersed in a world. Something this addon, removes from the equation.

Second, the range on hearing the stealth sound is very short, MUCH shorter than max combat log range, in addition, it is muddled by whatever you are doing at the time. Outside of arena(which isn’t even in classic), the stealth audio cue is rarely heard.

Third, bad argument is bad.

I would agree, the add on seemed okay untill this part.

“This allows a group of players to share information and determine the location of enemy players over a vast area.”

This last part makes it game breaking. Using logs and knowing an enemy is in the area is one thing, knowing their location over a long distance is another.

That’s very different than an add-on, that’s an in-game mechanic and has a limited range at which it can be heard. If i see you as t distance and stealth, you have no idea i’ve stealthed or where i am.

I could be wrong, but from what i quoted above, the add-on provides that and more.

You still have to do that…

I quote only statements or main ideas to which I’m responding, not entire posts, because a) there’s only so much time in the day to comment on, add to, or refute every single point, b) I may not object to your other points, and c) other people may be able to more strongly articulate objections I may share. This is the proper and considerate way to communicate with other people online.

Given that you called me Sarah Sanders in your first reply to me, I was being civil by not taking your bait and focusing on the topic.

2 Likes

It becomes a game a patience. Give them time to let their guard down. Here are simple/easy solutions to each of the reactions you described:

• Most are doing something else in the world and don’t want to spend 5 minutes waiting to see if that rando that stealthed is going to attack them. Wait until they go about their business.
  • wait for it to drop, dont get in range of it.
  • Literally just be patient for them to drop their guard.
  • Wait for the rage to drop off. If you’re not confident in 1v1 be patient.
  • Wait for it to expire. Let them push themslves oom.
  • They’re gunna have them down anyways.
  • Consecrate will push them oom. But generally just dont try and fight them.
  • Yup only earier to burst.
  • A mage is going to do this anyway.

I dont get this one.

“He ran away from me!!”

Oh well, get over it. Welcome to the life of classes like warlock/priests that can’t chase people. If people are grinding they arn’t just gunna get up and run as far away as possible. You’ll only spook the ones that can’t be bothered to deal with you.

So I supposed duels are gamebreaking and should be removed from the game as well then? Or I suppose you shouldnt be able to see rogues/druids period since if they do they might do the things you described. /sarcasm.

2 Likes

hey GENIUS by coming here WHINIGN about an addon MORE people will have it NOW.

People BARELY knew it. xD

Honestly, if I’m going to attack someone from stealth, I’ll end up being close enough for them to hear. You move slower than the RP walk in stealth. They’d be long gone by the time you would be where they were.

Regardless, the addon requires just as much paying attention as anything else. Just because something is nearby doesn’t mean you know where it’s at. But you know, #nochangesexceptwhatiwant and all that.

Post on your classic Rogue. You obviously do not have one and have never played one.

Literally everything you said supports what I said, stealth classes have to play AROUND AN ADDON. It changes the gameplay of those classes significantly and makes them less effective as such. So now a stealth class has to be time gated and play mind games for several minutes before being able to engage and that’s IF they don’t just choose to use the free run away card?

No class should have to play around an addon specifically made to make them less effective.