Spy Classic Addon needs to go

I don’t think popularity matters. The fact that it’s popular now levels the playing field and detracts from how much of an advantage it gives any given user.

If you play a hunter/druid you get that radar. Otherwise you don’t. The function of it is the same as the combat log, all the info is available in the base game its just more cumbersome. Objectively it’s not adding anything into the game, its just making the information more accessible, which is what addons are for. I don’t really get why it’s daylighting that this exists thats causing an issue for people, ignorance is bliss i guess?

The stealth thing is completely manageable and makes me scratch my head a bit. The solution is pretty straight forward imo: Don’t do something that shows up in the combat log :man_shrugging:

i use it because it is stupid not to, but it shouldn’t be in the game imo

1 Like

The defense of “it’s in the combat log so it’s fine” doesn’t hold true. The intent of the combat log was to review the information well after an event occurs, not in real time. Sure, the extreme meta might have been able to somewhat read the log while actually fighting, most could or would not.

Intent is very important, the LFG tool Blizzard broke just 2 days ago was through restricting the /who function by addons. Blizzard saw something that DID exist in Classic but decided it went too far in harming the health of the game from a PvE perspective, this arguably does the same in a PvP perspective.

Also, popularity does matter. Prior, you had an insignificant portion of the community using this addon (<1%) which didn’t even merit it being reviewed due to little impact. However, although there are still less people who use Spy than people who do, it is a huge portion of the population (15-20% by downloads) and it has gotten to the point where it impacts the entire population.

How does the stealth thing make you scratch your head? You realize that it’s impossible to stealth with Spy right? I can’t stealth towards someone if I can’t see them and know they exist, if I can see them, Spy has already alerted them to my presence. Please explain your solution on how this is “manageable”.

Addons like Paranoia Enemy Alert have been around for quite some time. This isn’t new by any stretch.

Addons like this have been around for well over a decade without being broken.

The last decade, classic wasn’t around and world pvp was dead so no one cared. Classics lasting end game has a greater dependence on community and WPvP than retail where is it non existent.

SPY is basically LFR for PvP. It’s for people that want easy mode and everything handed to them but then complain why the game is in a terrible state and no one wants to play

Convenience, easy mode mentality, QoL improvements all attributed to making Vanilla turn into what retail is today. If you can’t see the harm in what too much automation through addons can do to a game, you’re blind.

#nochangesexceptchangesiwant

We had it in vanilla (or damn near to it). You just didn’t know about it.

4 Likes

I don’t think either of us can make a certain assumption about the combat logs intended function. Generally speaking there is value to having a live read out, as much as there is the post data. To say that its intended for 1 and not the other is to assume the designers original intent of it which doesn’t have anything to back it up. So using what you consider the intended function of the combat log to try and devalue its use in this circumstance doesn’t mean much.

I’ll follow your train of logic -> What do you see as the impact on the population (good and bad)?

You will only show up in stealth if you register something on the combat log (ie use a consumable, have a tick of healing on you, etc…) So then how is stealth “impossible”? You can do the following:
A - Stealth within range, have some patience and wait a bit for you to fall off the radar then open when their guard is down.
B - Stealth outside of range so they dont pick up on you entering stealth.
C - Stealth within range and be impatient, understanding that theres a high probability they will be ready for you to try and open.

[Citation Needed]

If it was only intended to be reviewed after the fact, the Combat Log wouldn’t actively parse in a visible manner using the default UI options. Furthermore, buffs/debuffs and floating combat text are prettied up, reskinned applications of real-time Combat Log parsing, specific to what is happening to you and around you. This is an asinine assumption and undermines the entirety of your complaint.

Mine works just fine as of today. LOL?

1 Like

LFR has no mechanics. Spy evens the playing field preventing people from getting off guard in PvP. How is this an equivilence?

Addon’s arn’t what made the game “easier”. It’s the changes to content tuning, grouping/traveling and gearing. Here’s a list of a few things that legitimately made the content easier:

• Lower mob scaling allowing players to face tank 5-10 mobs at a time solo.
  • Free raid level gear for saving some turtles in a mini game.
  • Skip the already non-dangerous world by taking portals/flying everywhere
  • Instantly and annonymusly paired with randos you’ll never see again.

Addons did none of this.

This right here is the problem. The playing field is not meant to be even. Stealth is a mechanic used by rogues and druids. This add on takes that away. Sorry if you cannot see this.

I mean, the playing field is even for non-stealth.

Stealth still have all the same perks stealth gives you. This addon doesnt suddenly give the opponent faerie fire or hunters mark.

• We get the first hit
  • We get to chose when the fight happens
  • We get to sit and wait for our opening so the odds favor us.
  • We get to walk away if we want to.

Like honestly, what are you on about? This conversation always seems to devolve into being intellecutally dishonest with how the machanics work.

1 Like

Its even without the add on. With the add on it takes advantage away from player talents. You cant be that daft. If you need this add on you prob should not be playing pvp in the first place.

classic lfg was technically possible but they broke that. i think the only reason spy is still here is how do you actually break it without breaking other stuff

Spy Classic is the Classic version of Spy, first released in 2009. If you are just now complaining about Spy, you are 10 years and 1.5M downloads too late. Like others pointed out, Spy’s predecessor was Paranoia, first released in 2006. This thread is a pointless outlet for addon haters to rage.

Also, Classic is not Vanilla and Vanilla is not Classic. There are three editions of the game: Vanilla, Retail, and Classic. Classic is a semi-rollback to the Vanilla period of Retail with many, many Retail changes, including ability reworks and itemization. Have you been wondering why PvE and raids are so easy now? Well, that’s why! Hell, the devs behind Auctioneer and Enchantrix haven’t been able to get disenchant values right because Classic presents all-new data that matches up with neither Vanilla nor Retail, and that data has to be collected anew.

Furthermore, Classic was never going to be a True Vanilla Experience. You’d have to go back in time to when nobody knew anything, didn’t know how to build the perfect specs, didn’t know which gear to take into raids, didn’t know which items would be valuable to then-never-before-seen events and endgame content, couldn’t level to 60 in a few days, couldn’t “beat the game” in a week, etc.

Finally, telling people to roll PvE because they don’t play PvP your way is simple snobbery. It’s toxic, unproductive, and childish.

5 Likes

/yawn. Got anything new to add

• The addon doesn’t track enemy locations like humanoid tracking.
  • The addon doesn’t prevent you from stealthing, nor does it allow people to break you out.

You’re putting out statements as if they mean something without backing them up. Its gotten asinine.

1 Like

If you are bored there is retail that way >>>>>>>

Is this supposed to mean something?
You’re complaining about an addon in classic. I dont see an issue with the addon. But the addon working fine in classic, so why would i leave? :thinking: I dont think you understand how to form a coherent argument or are just throwing things out and hoping they stick.

you keep on talking with the poisoned tongue, passive aggressive much? I do not like the add on. I think its game breaking for pvp. Its my opinion which might vary from yours. Its ok. Now quit being so condescending, agree to disagree.

I use it because I feel disadvantaged if I don’t. That being said, it’s a little TOO good, and should be removed IMO.

hmmm

Pot calling the kettle black bud. Throwing out a statement like its fact rather than discussing the points that would determine whether the statement is a fact. Then throwing shade when counter points are presented. Then telling someone to leave because they don’t agree with you.

Sure bud. You’re just a victim here :roll_eyes: