[SPOILERS] Thoughts on Nathanos in Shadowlands

Honestly the only solution I can think of is to just cut things where they are now, stop with the revenge because it just leads to a pointless back and forth idc who the last person to get hit was.

Things need to stop, everyone take a step back and just focus on rebuilding and developing more, blizzard has essentially gotten to a point where races/ factions are barebone wise with characters or places of importance, and until we address this glaring problem, all we’ll end up having is what we have now where One side has everything to lose, and the other side has nothing really.

This is the best solution imo and yah it’ll suck because in the end I doubt horde or alliance players will be immediately happy about the outcome, but it’s better that blizzard be the parent they are and forcibly separate the two kids (Horde and Alliance) from attacking each other anymore, while at the same time having each side just focus on licking their wounds and building back up.

TLDR: cut things where they are, no more revenge/ justice, it’ll just keep the stupid cycle of wanting something for x, y, or z among the playerbase, blizzard needs to have each side focus on themselves and just rebuild what ever they can, and in some cases look real hard about what you really want a certain faction or race to be after years of them being what they were.

Thats not a Solution and thats not even Fair, thats a “We ignore anything what happened”

2 Likes

Because you guys want to hang this around the Horde players’ necks forever, and never let them out from under what was frankly a very disappointing story for almost everybody.

Horde players frequently acknowledge that the NE got shafted. Alliance players seem to not understand how the Horde story was equally disappointing, just in different forms.

7 Likes

I can see that the horde has also been left behind in various ways. But this plot around Teldrassil is too big, an elephant in the porcelain shop
, even Theramore was simply left out, is this supposed to happen every time that the main responsible people don’t have to answer for it?

3 Likes

Alternate take; this is a set up for Natty’s redemption.

Consider that when we see Nathanos and Sylvanas together at Icecrown in Shadows Rising she’s… displeased with him. To say the least. He’s failed his mission to kill Bwonsamdi, failed to inflict any meaningful causalities otherwise, and is basically hoping she won’t hit him too hard for that. And the internal dialog we have with Sylvanas presents her as just doing so very done with Nathanos worshipful love if he can’t be counted on to provide results. She sends him away to find another means of completing his mission- not to die so that he can join her, but to make up for his mistakes. And as far as we know he’s failed to do that before we kill him.

So that’s twice now that he’s failed to live up to his queens expectations and she seems pretty fed up with him as a result. So when he dies and his soul is flung, like all the others, into the Maw… what if Sylvanas doesn’t fish him out? What if she leaves him there, abandons him to be tortured like all the rest because to her he’s just another broken tool. Not worth saving, not worth expending further energy on.

A key part in any redemption arc is the moment of deep self reflection. Where a person looks at the presumably unsatisfactory situation they’re in (their rock bottom moment, which is their fault) and then looks inward and wonders; “How’d I get here? What did I do wrong?” Contrary to a lot of popular theories right now Sylvanas hasn’t had that moment yet. But giving us a Punished Nathanos? That could be something.

2 Likes

I wish you guys were right but Blizzard has gone out of their way not to say we’re fighting Sylvanas. They implied she’s the leader of the Maw Covenant. And they told us “We’d understand her motivations.”

She’s Kerrigan. Going to be Goddess of All Death, replacing the Arbiter.

Count on it.

::He would look at Siege of Orgrimmar.::
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

who kill the one responsible for theramore? Was it…Horde? Yeah, it was horde.

Nathanos taunts the players with that same fact.

Also, in Shadows Rising, I got the impression that whatever affection Sylvanas may have had for Nathanos is now gone so even giving him a true death would have no emotional impact on her - it’s like Tyrande punching herself in the face and expecting it to hurt Sylvanas.

Tyrande is being given nothing, it’s just a meaningless gesture. Now that killing him has no value, sure, go ahead, have some ‘revenge’.

1 Like

It is a solution, but at the end of the day I don’t care who the last person to get hit is.

All I know is that either way one side is going too be pissed about it, and unless we cut it off now or soon before it’s too late and each side has lost things too the point of having nothing left.

If you REALLY Want some type of “justice/revenge” then the pain might as well go half way where both sides are punished and then sent too their room.

This is kind of funny. Does Tyrande want to get justice for Teldrasill? Nope. She wants to hurt Sylvanas’ feelings.

1 Like

It also kind of plays into the trope that no revenge will ever be good enough for aggrieved Night Elf players.

3 Likes

God I hope not. That would be morbid crap if they pulled that angle. :frowning:

Probably not. We’ll be seeing “Destroy Orgrimmar for Teldrassil” posts for the next ten years at least, mixed in with a heavy over-spicing of “Why does Blizzard hate night elves?” when it doesn’t happen.

2 Likes

The Alliance demanded a trial. The Horde acquiesced to their request after the Alliance aided in the defeat and serving of justice to Garrosh.

Justice was served, it’s just it’ll never, ever be enough. Alliance loves its victim cards.

Nevermind that he was our enemy. He killed your one off unimportant city. He ruined our entire faction, killed Cairne, tried to kill Vol’jin, banished Thrall. Your entitlement is beyond ridiculous.

Wrong! The pandaren demaned a trial, varian and thrall would have simple killed him. But nice try :slight_smile:

:sleeping:

Would killing a discarded lackey really help? Yeah, that’s what Nathanos is. A weak pawn.

The only night elf justice comes when the enemy is severely weakened enough to kill. He has no Valkyr or jailer to empower him anymore. You can call it what you want, but it’s right there to see.

It’s not that we do not get justice, it’s that justice has a “damage control” sign pasted all over it, unless you think quality of presentation is not important.

1 Like

I thought Tyrande wanted revenge against Sylvanas and those that enabled her, bearing responsibility for the death’s of the Kaldorei. The Shadowlands stuff concerning her role as Night Warrior keeps being framed in that context; the Night Warrior itself called the incarnation of Elune’s vengeance, no?

Wounding Sylvanas emotionally (though I’m sure Tyrande would much rather do so physically) still falls neatly into the category of revenge. It might be revenge against Nathanos if he didn’t want to die but if its no revenge on Sylvanas if she doesn’t feel the impact.

Jellex, I think you’re right as far as revenge goes. But I suspect most Night Elf players would prefer justice (whatever that means) or simply being left alone to rebuild with all our stuff explicitly back in-game.

However, the game keeps poking at open wounds with tortured Kaldorei souls in the maw and pushing the simultaneously true but opposed narratives of the all-powerful-Night-Warrior and inept Tyrande.

5 Likes

Depends on how he will be brought back and with what consequences. If he comes back like nothing has happened, then it will feel cheap. If he comes back like Varimathas in ABT, then I wouldn’t see it as cheap. As his death & failure to kill Bwonsamdi just prior will have direct punishment inflicted onto him by the Jailer and Sylvanas.

Sorry but I can never see Kel’thuzad side with the forsaken. Since he saw and probably still does see the forsaken as traitors to his boy King Arthas.

2 Likes

That would actually be an interesting story development for his character if that’s where to happen.

You are exactly right. I said something similar the other day:

2 Likes