(Spoilers) The Night Elves' fate in Shadowlands

And yet you say Elune plunging Darkshore into eternal night is not intervention? Giving her priests powers is not intervention?

That’s still intervention.

1 Like

The Hordie forums would like you to know that this post isn’t about them or about being punished for playing Horde. So you should be ashamed of yourself for spamming! Blizzard is literally punishing Horde. Please give me likes because I said Horde is being punished. That’s what this forum is all about, right?

Yeah you are but that’s a different debate.

Again, you’re being non-responsive. I actually can point out a response. A sentinel in Ashenvale pleaded for intervention form Elune when she was being overwhelmed by the Burning Legion. Elune responded by giving her the Scythe that in the end, destroyed her.

Which proves that Elune…1 falls short in the power dept since she gave the Sentinel an artifact that despite bearing her name she had no part in it’s genesis and 2. falls short in the wisdom dept, given that she gave her an artifact that was beyond her ability to handle.

1 Like

Just read the other posts lol.

Uhg. Clearly we’re both using different definitions of “intervention”. I’m using the one you can find in any dictionary. I have no clue where you got your definition. I’ll just give you what you want and be on my way from this tangent.

You’re right Akiy. I’m sorry Akiy. You win Akiy.

That’s exactly what you’re doing. It’s okay.

1 Like

And yet here you are, with each point you tried to make disproven, undefended, rendered irrelevant and resorting to bringing up gear to try for a cheap shot.

And yet here you are, still trying to be sassy.

Come back when you can back up a claim, sweetie.

2 Likes

Is crimson veil like hydra?

“To come between as to prevent or alter a result or course of events.”

Which is exactly what she is doing by tipping the power scales… By giving priestesses her power, by making Tyrande the Night Warrior, by plunging Darkshore into eternal night, she is actively interventing aka attempting to alter a course of events.

You cherry picking isn’t proof of anything. You don’t know her reasons for doing what she does. Throughout mythology, Gods have given mortals artifacts of power much to their detriment. In the case of the greeks, it would be for their own gain. In the case of the Norse, it had more to do with worthiness and a focus of one’s will. You can’t know which.

1 Like

So… did Night Elf priestesses lose their power in War of Thorns?
Like they could not heal or call the light to themselves?

Basically did Elune cut them off?

The all mighty force of Plot blocked whatever Elune’s efforts might have been to protect the nelves of Teldrassil, except for protecting them from the pain of burning to death I guess.

Unfortunate.

EDIT: On a side note, this argument between blue posters certainly proves that an Alliance civil war arc would be most interesting. Pity that such a thing will never ever happen.

1 Like

A political dispute doesn’t mean a civil war will break out. The alliance isn’t built like that. It’s game of thrones scheming at most.

Akiy, with this line alone you have vastly improved my opinion of you for what it’s worth. I give you one interwebs.

I don’t mind that Elune didn’t personally step in and flick each Horde soldier back to the Barrens.

(Though now that I said this, I want to see it. That sounds hilarious.)

Elune, to me, always seemed like the sort who couldn’t get personally involved. She grants her followers power, but they have to try to call on it first.

Like , Elune’s won’t cast Power Word: Shield, but she will make her priestesses crit 500% on that shield when they ask her. (And then occasionally, for Tyrande, Elune will reach over to her hotbar and click Divine Shield for her.) And that sort of power was shown in the War of Thorns. So I’m fine with her portrayal.

However, Elune has also been said to have much larger powers than just the basic priest toolkit (or at least one on a more massive scale), such as the aforementioned blinding of a whole raid of naga, blinding the Horde army in Wolfheart, and somewhere that was probbly retconned it said she could cause all fighting to cease for as long as she stayed in the sky. (So, for one night.) And I think there’s some disappointment that, in the most severe event for night elves in the current game, we didn’t get to see any of these awesome Elune things. And I think that’s fair - I would have loved to see them, even if I don’t think Elune is worthless because I didn’t.

I’m pretty sure that Shadowlands is going to show that something prevented Elune from intervening more strongly. But it’s a bit late to say that now, when we lived through the entire plot already. It’s not going to get much goodwill back this late.

And I think that’s the problem - the story was shut down at this point.

If the night elf story were a pendulum, then the War of Thorns pulled it aaaaaaall the way to one side to where it’s threatening to break… and the resolution of the Fourth War inched it only a few degrees back down.

Many night elf fans want to see a 90 degree swing back to center (and many others want a full 180), but this story didn’t do that. So some are calling for more lore now, and some are wondering why the story cranked them so far out of whack (such as by not having Elune intervene to save more, so the Horde wouldn’t be responsible for killing so many) if this was all the the story was planning to (not) balance it out.

4 Likes

No they didnt

So I guess this whole “ELUNE ABANDONED US DUR DUR” is a total lie.

You know, if they had the Sylvanas Warbringers end with Elune somehow preventing the Horde from firing the catapults… It would probably have been better…

It might have been a bit hokey… They would have to do it in the right way for it to feel “natural” I guess…

But say Elune did something that prevented Teldrassil from burning, and prevented it from being occupied… And bought just enough time for the Kaldorei navy to sail up from Silithus, which would trigger the Darkshore Warfront as the first warfront instead of Arathi.

Sylvanas still has her war, all these souls lost in the conflict still goes to the Maw like she wanted… You could still have Tyrande do Night Warrior stuff if you want…

Horde players can say they won war of thorns because they conquered Ashenvale and Darkshore, Nelf fans can say they Won because they stopped Sylvanas from achieving her goal.

And I am not saying one should always pull their punches in storytelling, but when you have no real intention of any real closure for an event as horrific as the burning of Teldrassil… then maybe they just shouldn’t have done it at all.

This is my biggest peeve with this story.

I can accept loss, but I want a recovery story afterwards. Not: ignored -> half victory/half-loss (but at least we got cool armor sets!) -> ignored -> okay, we’re done now, go home- er, well, go squat in Stormwind some more.

And it wasn’t even like the Horde really enjoyed the story they got from this, either.

6 Likes

No, different nelves feel different things, thats not really new some feel she did and others dont feel that, not every single nelf knows 100% about elune, not even tyrande

What was it that Elune was supposed to do that she failed to do that made all the Night Elves think she abandoned them?

I just do not understand this.
Was she suppose to pop out of the sky and shoot laser beams out of her eyes?

1 Like