(Spoilers) The Night Elves' fate in Shadowlands

And it’s only going to be worse when Sylvanas turns out to be the hero all along and the burning was a good thing. It’s the same with when they told us that all those that died will have to suffer in wow hell forever and that tyrande is crazy and evil for not trusting the Horde.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing this character since the first couple of weeks of the original WOW launch. She heads a guild that’s still around from that time, so don’t DARE to call me non-invested. I had a lot of sentimental attachment to that huge oversized tree stump.

Which is when Blizzard first did this, I was extremely excited and hopeful that they were going to have a story that wasn’t going to finish up as a reset to the status quo when all was said and done. The Night Elves home had been utterly eradicated… that’s not something you just walk back from.

To say that my expectations have not been met is a severe understatement.

1 Like

Which is why I doubt anything else you have to say on this matter. If you really are invested then you’d be aware of the garbage treatment we’ve gotten over and over and over from Wolfheart/Cataclysm up to present and their pattern of never offering any upswing after the fact for any of it. You want people to believe you’re a fan to shield yourself from criticism when you advocate for us to continue to receive a garbage experience.

1 Like

I’ve said repeatedly that I find the fandom mentality to be akin to that of a cult psychosis.

When your definition of “garbage treatment” means not living up to the power fantasies of Warcraft 3 when the Night Elves were essentially monsters severely compromises the validity of your complaints.

3 Likes

There is quite some space between the Night Elves being like they were in WC3 and going extinct like they are with the current writing - and they still manage to make it worse everytime.

Atleast the Night Elves were able to defend themselves at some point - having your race go extinct and lose every single battle isn’t fun.

8 Likes

I fail to see how being described as perfect warriors that are competent enough to strike fear in the hearts of the most battle hardened orc tribe while vehemently defending their home from those who would see it logged into extinction is “Essentially monsters.”

8 Likes

Lesser minds!

2 Likes

The blood elves would agree. They lost 90 percent of their population to Arthas… that’s a documented figure. We don’t know exactly how much of the Night Elf population was taken out with the combination of the losses on Teldrassil, Ashenvale, and Darkshore, but it is most likely close to that percentage.

I also was excited (not because i was happy to lose our home) but because i thought it would be a push for the Night Elves to lead the expansion but i was severely wrong. I could see where you’re coming from.

2 Likes

This is Warcraft… in case you haven’t noticed… No one has a bright future…like Warhammer, this is a Crapsack World. Whether you’re a Night Elf, or a member of the Redpath family.

Worlds of adventure tend to be like that as a consequence. The various D&D worlds… Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms, Eberron… The FASA worlds of Earthdawn and Shadowrun, ridden by global disasters, especially during an edition rules change.

Warcraft is nowhere near the level of grimdark as Warhammer (Classic or 40k). It is way more four-color.

:cactus:

6 Likes

Illidan.

However, your statement is true of most races in WoW - I don’t recall ever seeing a named Tauren, Blood Elf, Goblin, Gnome, Dwarf, etc.

Basically, it’s 90% orcs, humans and undead.

11 Likes

in Wc3 was the great time of the night elves, the fanbase was created there, so it’s not wrong to see the WC3 night elves as a model for this fanbase, on the contrary, I find it highly questionable to blame them for that.

Whether monsters or not monsters, it’s not wrong for a fan to come back to what was originally the reason to become a fan, it’s even the definition of a fan. So this has nothing to do with “monster” or “power fantasy”

5 Likes

You’re right it’s not… but it’s still pretty much Crapsack the way all Worlds of Adventure are.

Illidan is not exactly a shining example of in-game nelves, or their culture.

But he is, in fact, a night elf and has been in cinematics.:slight_smile:

:cactus:

6 Likes

True… but it’s kind of like… If Gul’dan was the only orc to appear in a cinematic. You know, I think I would say most orc players wouldn’t feel represented by that.

Yeah, but at least Gul’dan is a interesting villian. Sylvanas just comes off as a Saturday morning cartoon villian, she’s very two dimensional in my personal opinion

Illidan is a hero

LOL

Yeah okay… The guy who slaughters innocents for power is a hero. Nah fam, that ain’t it.

5 Likes