(Spoilers) The Night Elves' fate in Shadowlands

I don’t agree. There are scenes with hardly any Forsaken NPCs in them. The “sludge guard” who hands out the gas masks/blight throwers is even a goblin.

Expected attack vs unexpected attack. Seems pretty simple to me. Though I agree the Draenei, at least, should have been backing the NEs up; that’s a plot hole.

One word: portals.

3 Likes

I would assume that the Alliance attack force had to take time to muster and make its way to UC, and the Horde was able to fortify UC in the meantime.

And the Blight is the creation of the ________?

The Draenei and the Worgen. And the LF who canonically have a ship just outside of Azeroth’s orbit. Also the VE who can port in from anywhere through void tears.

Alliance doesn’t have any working portals? Just portals to evac civs huh, none for transporting troops.

Man Horde sure can mobilize 100% faster than the Alliance. Sure makes it interesting to be so undeniably outclassed and to only be saved by the fact the Horde has to infight over petty garbage in order for the Alliance to win. Really makes me feel that I’m not kicking around a disabled puppy or makes me feel like a disabled puppy and invests me in the faction war.

Actually, none of the 3 seem likely at all, that’s why I’m still angry and complaining

Because people thought they were fighting over a resource in a remote part of the world rather than fighting a war of extinction.

Because writers dumb.
And they wanted to make sure everyone knew the Horde needed 90% of the NEs to leave so they have a shot at taking the NEs down.
I don’t know but thats what the writers decided on.

Because the evil guys need to win.
And if you have a prophet armed with a spaceship that can teleport armies out of thin air that kind of makes it impossible for the bad guys to win in the first act.

No they were living their lives after defeating the Legion and then Horde decided it wanted to kill more people.
So they baited the Alliance to rush to the Azerite in Silithus and took advantage of that to wage their genocidal war. As is Horde tradition.

1 Like

At the very least I really doubt Sylvanas won’t drop purples in SL.

Sylvanas with a kerrigan style redemption arc is just a meme until proven otherwise.

More like a Grommash redemption

Grommash got off scot free in the moment but at the end of the day he was the enemy of the expansion’s final enemy and eventually gets killed by the lightforged anyway.

I don’t think there’s that much of a parallel, especially when Grommash at the very least has the very minor excuse of being duped by Garrosh’s “prophecy” into doing what he did. Sylvanas is unapologetically and happily jumping deep into the villain pool.

1 Like

Yea but they can and will very well just pull a “The Shadowlands are free” with Sylvanas to not only cater to Sylvanas fans, but also to spite Night Elf fans.

1 Like

What exactly is the “Night Warrior” anyway? We were told it was some forbidden power of Elune and that even bearing witness to it will kill you, yet we all stood around scratching our arses while she did it and nothing happened. Then, after Tyrande attains the power, she nukes some low level goblins and Forsaken with it, but when she gets to Nathanos it does nothing and he just flies off like nothing happened. Now, in Shadowlands she needs help when she has the power of a literal God. A God who reached down and turned Ysera into a constellation. THE NIGHT WARRIOR POWER IS USELESS.

4 Likes

What exactly was Anduin or anyone from Stormwind supposed to bring? Stormwind isn’t exactly known as a hotbed of expertise on the subject. How long was he supposed to delay before retaliating against Sylvannas? How much more prep time should he have given her by delaying more?

1 Like

We better!

On the topic of Blight, here were my expectations:

1. Bring gas masks. Even if there’s not enough for everyone, then have the normal units retreat while the specially-equipped soldiers advance.

2. if no protective gear was available (there’s not much detail on what does/doesn’t work), then have Siege towers or otherwise protected mobile fortifications, which were specifically set aside to handle the blight. (While it’d be more detail than the cinematic would handle, my thoughts on this is that the towers would advance, being tall enough to keep occupants away from the ground-based blight while its armor either deflected incoming blight artillery or at least could survive for some time as the blight slowly melted through. Their jobs would be solely to counter-artillery-strike the blight launchers/etc so that the Forsaken could no longer launch any.)

2a) If the blight is not being launched from catapults, instead being spread by sprayers in the hands of individual alchemists walking into the field… arrows? We’ve got a ton of marksmen-type characters, and the species known for producing them is kinda mad for revenge? Barring that, any ranged attack - dwarven mortar teams (they’re just awesome and I want more of them), Lightforged lasers from the sky… there’s options.

1. If there’s really absolutely nothing that the Alliance can do about the blight… then at least have a clear, crisp, obviously pre-planned strategy for what to do.

The problem in that scene, even if the writers intended #3 to be the reality, was that Anduin sounded far too confused and surprised that the undead would gasp use their signature weapon, and gave a very unorganized-sounding general “Fall back” order. A few more details/comments (“I didn’t think it’d be this soon” / “Blight! Fall back to your designated rally point!” / etc) even in the face of no countermeasures would go a long way.

Talking about Anduin, didn’t he also send soldiers on a suicide mission just to abandon the plan later and let the Horde grieve in peace ?

3 Likes

Blizzard makes money off of players who play night elves. Blizzard wants money.

This whole, Blizzard hates my group, meme is getting out of hand. I subscribed and quit the Horde because I really feel Blizzard sees no role for them except to be foes for the Alliance and a place to get the villain.

Do I think they hate the Horde? No. I think they are genuinely clueless about why Horde players hated BfA.

Blizzard likes money, Blizzard wants as many players as possible.

7 Likes

So you quit the Horde because you didn’t like their narrative. You didn’t quit the game altogether.

Blizzard absolutely wants to maximize profits but not every unpopular decision is viewed as driving away business. Just like you didn’t quit the game even though you don’t like how they are portraying the Horde.

What are the important people at Activision Blizzard going to say to the dev’s bosses?

“Geez. Take it easy with the villain bat. We don’t want Horde players to feel betrayed and disenfranchised by their leaders.”

Or.

“Your revenue targets for 2020 are __ % growth in monetization transactions and __ % retention.”

There’s a lot of leeway.

Actually, I did quit the game entirely. For almost a year and 1/2. I’m trying switching to Alliance to see if that makes the game worth playing for me.

They say things like that to Ion. And when Ion looks at the results of the survey the put out to people on why they quit, you don’t think that isn’t brought up at the next meeting?

More to the point. Does anyone really think they say at meetings, “Well, those players who like Night Elves. They suck. Who cares about them?”

1 Like

I don’t know. My point is that the Horde was prepared and the Alliance was not.

And I’ve lost desire to play because of the current story. So these decisions do effect their bottom line, even if the effect is relatively minuscule.

Do they still ask why people don’t renew their subscriptions? I thought that feedback was no longer taken.

I’m sure there are those that feel - or have felt - that people in charge of the game’s direction harbor malice in their hearts for aspects of this game. I’m not going to discount that; I’m sure that the devs do have things they like and dislike, things they love and things they hate, about the game.

However, the notion that there would be officially coordinated, planned, and documented efforts to crap on player factions or races is a bit ludicrous.

Personally, I don’t feel there’s a conscious decision to trod on the Night Elf playerbase. I do feel that Night Elves suffer from the Worf Effect and that such a consideration is rather low on the list of priorities (if it registers at all) when planning out the game.

The people that care about the Warcraft Story are in the minority. I can’t even imagine what the tipping point would be for the narrative to enter the minds of the playerbase at large and to repel sufficient players (and drop revenue enough) that Blizzard would take notice and effect major changes to the story.

1 Like

In an “any one person” sort of way. But, in aggregate (sort of like voting :slight_smile: ) it is significant.

Well, no, but the results didn’t sudden go away and the time they did it was when the dissatisfaction as at a peak.

Companies that size do market surveys all the time and Blizzard has a lot of numbers from the game we don’t see.

Well, there is a meme held by some very vociferous papers that explicitly says that Blizzard is intentionally screwing them over. My point here is that one should, in fact, discount that.

There is also the view that Blizzard is simply unable to realize, or implement, a better plot. I actually feel this way about the Horde. Some feel this way about the Alliance. It is possible for both to be correct. Though, as someone who has switched factions, I do have my own opinions one what will be better (or maybe less worse), at least going forward.

IMO, the main problem is Teldrassil. Without it, the NE story is OK. Yes, I’m sure some people will jump in here, but I think discontent sown by the Burning of Teldrassil has spilled over to a general dislike of story elements around it.

And I am convinced that Blizz thought Teldrasil would be an event with a lot of “cool” that would get everyone excited and involved.

1 Like