(Spoilers) The Night Elves' fate in Shadowlands

This was indeed Saurfang’s strategy. And the Horde still almost lost.

5 Likes

The Draenei who are just next door neighbors? The Lightforged who can literally just warp in when they need to? The Void elves who can do the same? Cenarius? Malfurion?

One has to imagine ancients have magical wood to be able to resist fire and blades so those things aren’t any more counters than fire and sawblades are counters to flesh and blood.

That’s what I mean. The Alliance is incompetent until these super powerful trump cards get pulled out. Was anyone supposed to feel good when Jaina just killed the entire Horde army herself and froze the blight in Lordaeron, after Anduin says that the Alliance lost the battle? Was anyone supposed to feel confident in Anduin and Genn’s abilities to lead when they walk into an obvious trap and Jaina bails them out again?

The Alliance is made to look completely potato so the Horde can look good. Just like Horde is made to look completely villainous to make Alliance look morally right. At this point, why wouldn’t the Alliance consider the Forsaken using the Blight when they’ve continued to use it in every single engagement they’ve been a part of? “Oh no, the Forsaken have deployed the blight! How could this have happened!” is dumb. Just as dumb as Jaina saving everything. Just as dumb as Malfurion and Tyrande being useless because if they brought their full OP power to bear they’d be able to hold off the entire Horde.

Furthermore, how is the Horde able to instantly reinforce Undercity after launching a ballsdeep, all-in style blitzkrieg in the war of thorns, but the Night elves/Alliance aren’t able to reinforce Teldrassil? Suddenly portals and interdimensional space fortresses don’t work?

It’s all contrivances to make the story they want to tell work instead of making things logically work. They wanted to retell the fall of Quel’thalas but with Night elves instead of Blood elves, with Sylvanas in Arthas’s place.

I would have been fine with Teldrassil and Darkshore getting destroyed, even with their contrivances though, if it meant that Undercity was conquered by the Alliance in the same way. If the Horde can go all in on one race, there should be strategic consequences for doing so.

10 Likes

Void elves are not a massive military force.
Draenei should’ve shown up but didn’t.
Idk how Lightforged warping works to comment.

Do you know what all of the above have in common though? They aren’t night elven armaments, tactics, or strategies. I asked why night elves would be able to solo the Horde and you’re here, now, telling me “by not soloing the Horde!”

Cenarius should’ve showed up, yeah. Would’ve enjoyed killing him and getting an achievement.
Malfurion WAS fighting. Malfurion is the reason the night elves got most of the kills they got. Saurfang even comments on it.

Why do you think that ancients wood would be more powerful than a World Tree’s? Teldrassil was blessed by the Dragon Aspects and tended by Druids.

But to answer your question, canonically you’re incorrect. Mechashredders were the answer to the Ancients in the World Quests.

Well, what you mean didn’t really address the cornerstone of our discussion, which was:

I’m not of the opinion that one race should be able to defeat the Alliance or the Horde. The Alliance has gas masks for the Forsaken now, though. Too little and too late. but they’ve got them.

They’re a highly elite strike team. They mattered enough in Battle for Lordaeron.

I lay out why they shouldn’t have even needed to. Why were they alone? Why didn’t the Draenei show up? Why didn’t the Lightforged? Why not the Worgen who are constantly portrayed as Night elf lapdogs? Why didn’t the other nations send help quicker? Blizzard likes to pretend logistics matter in any of this, but they don’t, clearly, because the Horde was able to reinforce Undercity and fend off the Alliance immediately after blitzkrieging Darkshore on the other side of the world.

Just because they thought Teldrassil burning would be this awesome, dramatic setpiece when they’re unable and unwilling to commit to the logistics to telling a story that doesn’t require one to take their suspension of belief out back and put it out of its misery.

They shouldn’t have been put into that position to begin with is what I’m saying. They should’ve been in a much better defensive position without this “Oh well they sent 90% of their military to silithus” contrivance. What military force sends the majority of their military force to a potential hotspot? Are the Night elves that stupid? The answer is yes, which answers the question as to why anyone should be pleased with them getting Worf’d.

4 Likes

Sounds like you answered your own question.

The entire Horde could barely handle Malfurion with Tyrande being away. Cenarius couldn’t have been involved or the Horde wouldn’t have had a chance.

Legion’s been defeated, too, so no demon blood for the Horde, after all.

7 Likes

They were defeated in the Battle of Lordaeron IIRC.

My only guess is that they went to the wound like the majority of the night elven military did. I don’t know.

I’m fine with one side outwitting the other but I’m not okay with taking it to the maximum extreme of blowing up their cities.

Blizzard has no chill.

No, it was the velf’s arrival that permanently shifted the battle into the Alliance’s favour. Even after Jaina’s arrival, it seemed like the Horde were going to make a comeback, however Alleria arrived through her void portals with her elves and randomly gnomes.

10 Likes

Apparently not because they’re all over Zandalar and Kul Tiras.

The real reason, that Blizzard states, is that the Draenei were exhausted from their war with the Legion. As if everyone wasn’t exhausted by it. That still doesn’t answer why the LF didn’t come, or the Worgen, or the various NE ancients on Hyjal.

Outwitting is one thing. Making one side stupid so the other one can look smart is another. They wanted to make Sylvanas and Varok look like these mastermind strategists.

Night elves were not even factors in their own story of getting demolished, they’re just meat to get fridged so we can look at how sad Varok is about it, and broken up the Horde is that they keep falling for megalomaniacal despots in the absolute dictatorship of Warchief.

That’s what made me officially drop Night elves. I now actually dislike them. I wouldn’t care if Tyrande and the rest of the race gets deleted in Shadowlands. Why should anyone like such a garbage race whose only purpose is to be the yardstick by which villains measure themselves by genociding them?

3 Likes

I thought Sylvanas blew them up with blighty bits.
Oh well. It’s been a hwhile.
The Horde forces had already been blighted to death by the Horde, so idk how much the void elves would’ve been a factor at Teldrassil.

Blizzard is iffy about travel times. For that patch they wanted to emphasize that travel takes a bit.

I feel you. It sucks when your favorite race is lessened to show off how awesome another race is.

Never said Alliance killed any of those.

Your handwaving BS proves you deserve what you’re about to get, knife ear enthusiast. And you seem dead set on alienating the only other group of WoW players that will be able to understand just what you’re being subjected to.

Enjoy being the ‘Favorite’. You bout to learn you should be careful what you wish for.

I didn’t hand wave anything. I also sympathized with you when you went on about Orcs getting treated badly because I get it. I play both sides, so I know how much damage trying to pander to both the WC2 and WC3 audience has done to characterization.

but runthak absolutely doesn’t have any place in the overall discussion.

this is doing a cringe larp

like I said, I don’t really care if NE get deleted. At this point its funny to see how much they can pile on. NE are a running joke.

2 Likes

That’s not the case. The defenders in the Siege of Lordaeron are the entire Horde, not just the Forsaken. Most if not all the Horde races are represented–if you don’t believe me, then go back and review a video of the scenario–not to mention virtually all of the active Horde powerhouses, such as they are: Sylvanas, Nathanos, Saurfang, Baine, and the Horde PC.

By contrast, the Night Elves were on their own, without any of their leaders until just Malfurion eventually showed up–and lacking most of their army.

7 Likes

At this point I don’t think the most vocal night elf fans will be happy with anything other than Night elves being bad-fanfiction levels of “better and more stronger than everyone else combined”.

8 Likes

The most interesting thing about the Blood Elves was that they lost the Sunwell and were mana addicts.
They were supposed to be this race that hopped from one mana fix to the next which made them perfect candidates for the Horde and an interesting race.

Within one expansion they lost all identity and any unique feature after Velen restored their Sunwell. Now they are just edgy High Elves.

TBC truly was the worst when it came to long term damage to the blood elves.
And now they have the Nightborne who are basically a carbon copy of BEs.

5 Likes

Lets be honest, the Forsaken did most of the heavy lifting. But yes, I already acknowledged this isn’t the case that they weren’t alone. However the Forsaken were able to receive aid incredibly quickly from their allies. It’s kind of weird how the Night elves weren’t similarly able to. That’s the crux of this issue. Why were the Night elves alone when they had allies nearby? Just so they could job to Horde.

If the entire Horde decided to gang up on Night elves to take them out once and for all, how come the Horde was able to rapidly reinforce Undercity afterwards?

I think a lot of NE fans, the five left that don’t just like the model and don’t care about lore, would just be happy not getting fridged so the Horde can look badass but also morally conflicted about conquering their enemy.

3 Likes

That’s just a ridiculous exaggeration, nothing else. I have often stated what I wanted as a conclusion and it consisted of:

• Night Elves getting their lands back and a new home (atleast in the story)
  • Rescuing the dead from the maw and bringing them to Ardenweald or reviving them
  • Nathanos and Sylvanas paying for their crimes / Night Elves getting justice

Something to show that our leaders are not complete jokes, the Night Elves aren’t near extinct and they can live on and hold onto their lands.

7 Likes

Because the Horde made a surprised attack.
They didn’t even have the decency to declare war. They just attacked and killed civilians… you know like your typical fantasy evil.

After that they went to Undercity and prepared for the Alliance’s response.

1 Like

Honestly, I’d be satisfied with any one of these happening. Night elves so very rarely get a bone thrown at them.

1 Like

There’s a very good chance you get all 3 of those, though the retaking of Nelf lands will likely be in story and not represented in game.

It was a surprise attack that took the NE off guard when the Night elves sent 90% of their military to Silithus. Why send that much of your military? Why weren’t the Draenei there? The LF? The Worgen? Everyone was just off on the other side of the world, huh?

The Alliance notified Anduin of what was happening and he warned that it would take time to get mobilized. How come these logistics didn’t matter to Horde at all?

How were they able to get from Darkshore to Undercity so quickly?

1 Like