(Spoilers) The Night Elves' fate in Shadowlands

This is actually true. Excluding vanilla and cata due to kalimdor stuff:

• TBC: mostly cenarion stuff. They also had an outpost by the name of Sylvanaar in Blade’s Edge Mountains.
  • Wotlk: you see night elves in the 7th legion, including the argent tournament and ICC gunship battle. Also have an outpost in Dragonblight called Stars’ Rest.
  • Mop: divine bell drama
  • WoD: the only expansion in which nelves were actually irrelevant.
  • Legion: Centerpiece for most of the Broken Isles (less so for Stormheim and Highmountain.
  • BfA: bruh…

So yes, out of all time periods, WoD was basically the only time night elves were irrelevant.

3 Likes

Night Elves can’t help but be relevant to many of those events. How entrenched are they in the (pre-WoW) history of Azeroth, after all?

I wouldn’t equate relevance with favor.

3 Likes

someone forget the wardens and the moonwell quest that shows elune’s reach is longer than we thought

1 Like

I think there is a bit of a correlation. Blizzard doesn’t have a problem with leaving relevant parties out of events if they don’t feel like it.

The Blood Elves play basically no part in taking down Arthas… which is the whole reason for the existence of their race. They are also mostly absent from fighting the Legion which was another huge part of their story. If Blizzard didn’t like the Night Elves like some people like to claim, I don’t think they would hesitate to leave them out of story that they were relevant to.

3 Likes

Explain why it was significant

I’ve always hated the night elves and felt they never belonged in the Alliance, should have been the Blood Elves instead.

One of my biggest gripes with the lore is that they aren’t an enemy of the Alliance so I can kill them. Maybe one day.

It was nice lore and more lore than any other of the azeroth races got at the time.

That’s very true, also.

Sure, but didn’t really do much. To be fair, WoD wasn’t a great xpac in general.

But still, nelves got alot in terms of relevance. The only reason you can’t claim they’re blizzard’s pet race is because of hoe much they are punching bags, but as I said before, blizzard probably don’t hate night elves, they just do the same crap all the time.

1 Like

I should’ve bet money that someone with a blood elf avatar was going to oppose me on this line of reasoning so they’d have some manufactured issue to talk about.

And just in case you’re serious… blood elves are the pet race of the writing team- no one has it better than them since the ending of BC. Compare their straits with just about any other WoW race and you’ll see a distinct lack of hardship.

3 Likes

I dont even believe this cause they tend to win at the end

Night elves should isolate themselves and make many babies :smile:

Oh another void elf poster who breaks out in seizures at the sight of blood elves. It’s been 15 years, time to come to terms with reality :clown_face:

5 Likes

a handful of minor characters

Garrosh. Nazgrim. VAROK SAURFANG. Runthak. Drek’thar is now an invalid canonically. We had to watch every single Warcraft 2 era hero(Kilrogg, Ner’zhul, Kargath(for the THIRD time) Blackhand) get hit with the villain bat a SECOND time except this time it had nothing to do with the Blood Pact with Mannoroth. Nah they were just always evil because we needed bosses for 5 man’s and raids. We had to watch Grommash go from villain to useless despite killing Mannoroth and his entire original arc being that he spent 20+ years attempting to undo the damage he did to his people… just to have the AU version do basically the same thing except without a Legion influence excuse. Nah just doing chaotic stupid things.

Oh and we had to watch Orgrim freaking Doomhammer - the same orc in the original continuity easily clapped Blackhand - get basically one shot by Blackhand in an in-game cut scene that didn’t even have the good grace to give him an active voice line. Just straight up did him dirty and left him in the ditch. The orc who took down the Shadow Council in the main continuity - who bent Gul’dan’s knee by force - just gets flopped like some random unnamed trash. Oh and that’s after he was made to betray Durotan, whom he had known since their youth and considered his best friend in the main timeline.

Do not get me started on Garrosh’s ENTIRE ARC from him throwing that general off the great lift onward. He was so horrifically botched even the writers admitted that he turned out about as bad as he possibly could’ve been. They completely forgot Jorin Deadeye exists in Outland and instead introduced a literally who as the mag’har leader. Thrall was made utterly impotent to create a plot device to offload the Doomhammer on the Shaman PC.

Orcs have spent every in story minute since that poor jackass Garrosh hucked off the Great Lift being thrown into the villain column. and if they weren’t made into villains they were made cannon fodder for other horde characters that were being made villains(I am still saltier than the Dead Sea that SAURFANG was used as cannon fodder just to sell Sylvanas as being more powerful than some ridiculous OC DONUT STEEL DeviantArt crap). Not even player characters were immune to this, not the villain bat or the cannon fodder portion.

Do not speak to me as though it was “just minor characters”. With the exception of Eitrigg every single named orc created in the last 25 years has been done dirty one way or the other.

And now that’s what you get to look forward to. 11 years of THAT.

5 Likes

That will never happen as long as you are on the board.

4 Likes

Says the Orc player’s alt lol. I actually don’t like Night elves anymore. Blizzard burned that bridge a while ago.

Why shouldn’t they? The Forsaken were able to beat the entire Alliance by themselves until Jaina swooped in. That’s the kind of thing that doesn’t feel good for Alliance or Horde storytelling.

It’s 100% true. During the War of Thorns as you’re cutting them down like reeds they mewl and cry “I just wanted to protect my home :(((((((” and “I pity you :CCCCC”. It’s cringe.

That takes a lot of the struggle out of things. Like the example I listed above with Jaina. Having Night elves die in droves like fodder only for mommy and daddy Stormrage come in and fix everything isn’t interesting.

I mentioned Garrosh.

I mentioned Nazgrim, even though Nazgrim is the epitome of low tier character that was built specifically for WoW, players did at least have some time to develop a connection with him. Seems petty to list him when he got to go out as a raid boss and Taylor is stuck in WoD purgatory, but fine.

Alliance didn’t kill Varok.

The definition of minor character. This is exactly who I had in mind when I mentioned minor, worthless, ultimately not noteable character. This is like someone complaining that we lost Althea Ebonlocke in Legion.

I get that you’re pissed that Orcs have had a schizophrenic characterization, but pretty much everyone has had that. You’re being very emotional and petty about people getting shafted when neither what they did to Garrosh and Garrosh’s Horde or the Night elves is cool.

muh runthak lmao

3 Likes

In the real world, gods don’t exist.

1 Like

The Night Elves don’t have anything comparable to the Blight? And Anduin didn’t bring anything to deal with the Blight?
The Horde brought fire and mecha shredders to deal with the Night Elves’s plant people?

alliance: woefully under prepared for the forsaken’s trumpcard
horde: overbearingly overprepared for the night elves’ trumpcard

:man_shrugging:

The night elves were also overwhelmingly undermanned.

This, to me, one of the stupidest tactical descisions in the entirity of WoW.

Realisitcally, military generals make mistakes all the time. It’d inventiable. War is often won, not by the one who makes no mistakes, but rather the one who makes the least. I don’t hate it when WoW leaders make mistakes in war, it happens all the time in the real world.

But having literally nothing to counter the Blight when heading to the city where it’s produce is just…

Sylvanas just burnt a tree of innocents, what was Anduin hoping Sylvanas was having a crisis of conscious and wouldn’t use it?

10 Likes

I have no idea. It was dumb.

1 Like