* Spoilers* Sylvanas dialogue redemption?

It’s possible. And likely one we’ll never get a definitive answer on :frowning:

Arthas domination could be after Uther throw him in the Maw.

Arthas had free will. Zovaal seems to of more… influenced, than outright controlled the LK. He played on Arthas’ weaknesses and swayed him to act in a manner that suited his plans. Bolvar refused to tap into the helms true power and thus fought off Zovaal’s influence (mostly), to the latter’s immense annoyance. That he was infused with the power of Life via red dragon fire might of also bolstered his resistance as well, but that isnt totally confirmed.

Anduin’s total lockdown into a meat puppet is a result of the lessons he gained from all three Lich Kings—Don’t give your puppets the ability to refuse to dance on command.

3 Likes

“From now on, those souls truly unrepentant of their crimes shall be forced to spent eternity as interns at video game making companies.”

Arthas was self destructive and an abuser prior to even being touched by Domination magic.

Sylvanas is a Survivor Turned Abuser trope.

These are not the same, and it would be immoral and unethical to allow such a narrative in the wake of the lawsuit.

Ten years?

The Lawsuit and the xpac are already being used as objects of study in curriculum lmao

12 Likes

The most ethical thing to do with souls which refuse to work towards self redemption is to simply toss them into true oblivion. Erase them and allow their anima to flow back into the system to eventually contribute to the creation of new souls.

Not exactly a ‘Horde player’ here, but I would be first in line to feed her into a woodchipper if I could. Her story over the past couple of expansions has been a cancer upon the game. Anduin too to a lesser extent, so he can just go pray in a small box in the basement while a squabbling semi-corrupt House of Nobles takes charge of Stormwind, thus giving us something actually resembling moral greyness and political intrigue.

3 Likes

In which ways? Jaina clearly saw something in him. Is there something in the Arthas novel I don’t know about? Because my read on it was that Arthas was one of the goodest boys, if not really confident in himself, and that changed when he had to take on the responsibility of defending Lordaeron from the Scourge and was easily manipulated.

2 Likes

Blizzard kinda does comic book morality, with aspirations of Game of Thrones. So… they do black and white, with grey being Another Shade of Black.

It would be immoral and unethical to allow the narrative about the genocide and abuse of the matriarchal race of the game and having them go through endless suffering without any positive moment and all and most importantly: Their abusers getting away with everything without a scratch.

The fact that the night elves have to go through constant suffering and tragedy without ever getting anything that could even remotely be interpreted as something positive for them speaks volumes when you look at the big picture with the lawsuit and everything. You’ll know very well where that storyline came (and still comes) from.

2 Likes

We have cdev straight up telling us that Arthas was evil before wielding Frostmorne, meanwhile a handful of posters are saying that cdev is wrong.

Honestly I think those posters are presenting this upside down narrative simply because they don’t like the canon truths. Basically they don’t like the story and are creating this asinine narrative that defy logic There is no way that they believe what they are saying.

5 Likes

In the Arthas novel he has some clear emotional and mental health struggles that aren’t addressed and lead to troubling behavior, even well before he takes the lead in defending against the Scourge. He’s still very charismatic and comes off as a promising and talented young individual, but since he doesn’t communicate his internal struggles very well to other people they don’t realize how troubled he is, or how concerning his behavior is. His relationship with Jaina suffers from lack of communication and he exhibits some troubling and controlling tendencies towards her as a result of his self-doubt and feelings of inadequacy, and that is never addressed. Moreover, his parents seemingly don’t talk to him at all about his relationship with Jaina and how it’s going, making assumptions instead and putting pressure on both of them. He’s both spoiled by the attention and favoritism he receives as Terenas’ heir, and crushed by the expectations placed upon him and his fears that he can’t measure up to him. Terenas did not do a good job of making sure his son was mentally ready for the role he was expected to take in their society, and Arthas’ response to that pressure led him to make bad decisions well before the Scourge were a threat.

13 Likes

I mean he still was never angry in every SL cutscene. Frustrated at best, but it was always “you hold all the power here” to her. Him getting angry also would have meant she won so he always ensured it was in her hands to also convince himself that there was still some shred of good in her(at least from our perspective because I’m still convinced the original story and possibly what still is the plan for the story will/would have caused us to question the same things that Sylvanas and the Jailer have once we know what they know about the broken cycle they speak of).

Rage has nothing to do with this. Personal fortitude would be something that might be the only thing that would break him free. Her presence would have more to do with her being familiar with the magic. I mean the jump made to suggest anger had anything to do with it has you completely disregarding the previous statement. He literally said she held the blade and the next sentence was suggesting those were linked, not her and Anduin specifically.

CDev: Yeah Arthas was evil before touching frostmourne lol
Arthas novel: *Golden writes him as a self evident abuser metaphor with self destructive tendencies *

Local Players Lacking Analysis Capacities: “He was the goodest of boys”

10 Likes

Arthas was already going down a bad path, all the Dreadlords had to do was give him a little nudge here and there. It might of been possible to of steered him away from it, but others didn’t really listen to him when he said he wasn’t sure he was going to be able to live up to the expectations he had placed on him. Instead they over inflated his ego to the point he refused to listen when people did start to try to put their foot down.

4 Likes

I disagree, I think he was both frustrated and angry, but he just doesn’t express his anger through loud outbursts, so it’s not as obvious. His passive-aggressive sass and sarcasm seemed to me like it was definitely motivated by anger, and he did have an outburst with the “look around you!” line. I think he’s definitely angry at Sylvanas at times during those cinematics, he’s just not in a situation to do much about it since he’s trapped.

I made that speculation because of Uther’s suggestion that her “presence” might help free Anduin, not her knowledge. Anger has already been established as sometimes being helpful to breaking free of domination. I’m not pulling my speculation completely out of thin air, here.

1 Like

I mean…how anyone can think Arthas was a good dude…than again these are the same people who want Sylvanas to suffer the same fate as him and I’ll say it again…IT’S GROSS AS HELL.

10 Likes

Uh… why? Sylvanas did worse to the Night Elves than Arthas did to her people… she even obliterated the souls of all those innocents, you think it’s okay that all night elves had to be tortured in the maw and obliterated but it would be “gross” if Sylvanas had the same fate? I’d say she deserves even worse than all those innocents and children she killed, tortured and obliterated.

That’s a really weird and disgusting logic if you ask me.

4 Likes

Those CDev answers came from Metzen and Afrasiabi, neither of which are in charge of the story any more.

And given Sylvanas’ shoulder, Blizzard seems to be retconning the Arthas novel as well.

2 Likes

Arthas sacked THREE kingdoms. Completely decimating one of them(Lordaeron) and killed 90% of the high elves.

And it was the JAILER and his armies who obliterated those souls

5 Likes