* Spoilers* Sylvanas dialogue redemption?

Ive always leaned toward no MC, but something certainly happened to her soul. Uther is an OKish benchmark, but again one did not get the luxury of dying, but was resurrected and suffered through additional soul manipulation.

its purely because they want to keep their most popular goth elf gf still in circulation to sell merch and at this point her fans would claw at anything Blizzard tosses at them.

What puzzles me though is her whole appeal is that of an unapologetic anti hero. So why the desperation of making a her a good girl who is just a victim and had no control?

Her appeal is that she literally rebelled against the lich king, regained her freedom and many others and built a kingdom. And now we are jumping up for the “ooh boo hoo its not my fault” Sylvanas? Pretty sad.

3 Likes

Mm… no, that’s all about Arthas it looks like. She is discussing her past with Uther, who is paying the part of her counselor and conscience it seems.

1 Like

It could also pertain to Zooval too. Since, sadly we know he was behind the whole Lich King project. Killing him would essentially absolve her of her crimes.

(I meant to edit my post to etheriel and the site lagged and I hit delete by mistake)

This is why it is dicy to make any solid opinion on datamining. We just… don’t know. It seems to me as if it fit her WC3 narritive with Arthas, but I could be wrong. What we really need are the lines of dialog that go before the ones for Sylvanas. Without them we simply lack proper context.

3 Likes

No doubt we’re missing a lot of dialogue and what happens between said dialogue. We’ll have to wait and see if anything gets datamined. Is there a cinematic tied to the dialogue?

Not thus far no, it seems like it might be a “stay awhile and listen” between Uther and Sylvanas

1 Like

Either both Sylvanas and Arthas deserve a shot at redemption or neither of them does. Don’t forget Arthas was being manipulated by Ner’zhul, yes he made horrible choices, but so did Sylvanas.

15 Likes

Arthas as a death knight, you could make that arguement. But once he became the Lich King? No. Not at all. And he’s my favorite character in the franchise.

1 Like

And if CDev says “Well, remember the inscription on Frostmourne, that nice sword that we now know had Domination runes on it? The power scarred Arthas’ soul, so you know…”?

1 Like

His soul was literally the first victim of Frostmourne. At this point, Sylvanas has probably done more harm to the people of Azeroth then even Arthas the Lich King.

Except we know that Arthas was dominated by the Jailer too. So, given this recontextualization, I think Arthas should be redeemed too.

Is that a complete betrayal of the lore until now? Yes. Is Sylvanas being redeemed also a betrayal? Yes.

This expansion has been a travesty.

16 Likes

Or you know maybe the idea of eternal damnation for anyone is a horrible idea and a good chunk of media has actually move away from the concept. Heck, some of the people in Revendreth have probably done worse things then Arthas/Sylvanas.

My personal hope for the end of Shadowlands is Arbiter Pelagos decides the Maw is too horrible a punish(which he mentioned) for anyone and just try to actually do something different about inrepentant souls.

6 Likes

Was he though? I don’t think they changed Arthas from maintaining his free will. We know Zooval tried to dominate both him and Ner’zhul and seemingly failed. Why he called Ner’zhul and Arthas failures

Unless you got something saying otherwise

It’s to be expected at this point.

Not for Sylvanas since she specifically sent innocents and children to the maw where they were already obliterated. And she intentionally did it.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t make sense for Arthas to have free will if the armaments of the Lich King were specifically crafted to have a proxy on Azeroth in order to bring about its destruction and harvest its world soul.

It also doesnt make sense for Zooval to call Arthas and Ner’zhul failures if he successfully dominated them. Ner’zhul and Arthas were clearly operating with their own agenda

I feel like ten years from now this whole Sylvanas thing will be used as an example of how a company can systematically wreck one of its most popular/flagship characters.

19 Likes

I think that’s Blizzard being inconsistent again because Bolvar makes specific mention that the Jailer was trying to dominate him but couldn’t. Zovaal considers Arthas a failure because he was stopped. Probably the same with Ner’zhul. Not enough of a failure not to have Ner’zhul in his sanctum though.

1 Like