[Spoilers] Shadowlands Alpha Thread

Are you ready to cleanse kael’thas of his hubris so he can rule over not-castlevania in the afterlife?

I’m not, but there’s a lot I’m just not ready for

Arcane is one of my favorite specs in the game because it feels like it should. Heavy front-loaded damage with a lot of setup and unique utilities that reward knowing a fight well and positioning properly. I argue it needs more ways to keep damage up between burn phases and in a way that challenges the player more, but overall it’s the spec I find most of my success with.

The removal of displacement for arcane though has me a bit miffed. It was one of my favorite things about the spec, since the game rewards arcane for being able to stand still and gives some unique movement utility to allow the clever to exploit this. Displacement was one of the most unique of movement utilities, but effectively putting it on a long cooldown tying it to alter time is… troubling towards what they already have right with the design.

I’d also like several abilities in the talent tree to be baseline. Supernova, Arcane Orb, and Nether Tempest should not be talents. Maybe have talents to improve functionality, but they should be part of the toolkit. Perhaps the following should be done;

• Supernova now deals increased damage per arcane charge and consumes them. The talent will be replaced by one that increases the blast radius for each charge consumed, and adds the knockup effect.

• Nether Tempest as a baseline deals additional damage to the target every time they take damage from one of your abilities or spells, like an extra tick of the dot. The talent for it turns it into an AoE that deals half to all targets around, and increases damage taken by a small amount.

• Arcane Orb being baseline is just common sense. An AoE utility/charge builder, something that arcane desperately needs in its toolkit. The only difference should be its cooldown increased so that as a baseline talent, it’s only used realistically on AOE and doesn’t gain charges unless it hits more than 1 target. The talented version should reduce the cooldown by 5 seconds for every target it manages to hit, down to 10 seconds.

3 Likes

I know you are pro- Arcane Orb being baselined, but I personally feel that Super Nova should be prioritized as it gives Arcane another CC and it just fits the fantasy so well. But overall, I agree that they should all be baselined as well XD

Also I like your suggestions because I’ve always felt that the talent system should enhance our abilities instead of granting us new ones.

1 Like

Also arcane familiar. I just like having my little sparky buddy and hate having to stuff him away for some extra missiles. :frowning:

Also I like your suggestions because I’ve always felt that the talent system should enhance our abilities instead of granting us new ones.

See now this is exactly how I feel the talent system should work as well. The ESO method of talents morphing abilities into different branching functionalities has always seemed like a good route for the game to take, to add some variation in playstyle, priorities, etc. I remember awhile back I wrote up examples for every single mage spell in history and morphed them into about 7 different spells apiece, basically just compounding effects on so you essentially design your own spell based on how you desire to use it.

The results weren’t too far-fetched from things we’ve already had in the past. At the craziest, they were like the Archimonde trinket effects, and on average they were just effects the spells used to have anyway.

3 Likes

Absolutely massive agree from a, quite frankly, filthy casual who still loves the complexity of the kit I couldn’t master.

2 Likes

No new Draenei options in this build. RIP

3 Likes

It’s a pipe dream, but I’d still love for there to be some body type options.

2 Likes

Arbiter:

New one:

Revendeth fans, your ground mount is cute af with its mount special.

https://wow.zamimg.com/images/news/articles/9.0.1.34615/DeathWargMount2_01.gif?maxWidth=800

Oribos portals added to Org/SW:

Further updates to Character Creation screen with class options on the bottom, but they also updated the armor the character displays with.

Not too important.

Worgen eyes are correctly displaying now:

Soft-timer removed. Bonus loot for speed clear added.

3 Likes

I do like that more than the soft-timers as a solution for encouraging people to go faster.

And I don’t mind if it gets more difficult overall with these other changes; just not much of a fan of timer mechanics myself!

1 Like

Best way to encourage prompt completion is free stuff :crazy_face:

1 Like

These are marked as being for void elves, but not actually accessible in the Alpha character creator yet. My guess is that they’re tied to the high elf options.

Aw man, it really was a dream. I was hoping for, like, hair highlights. And… skin highlights?

Yeah, like Thulnir says, folks are kind of speculating that these are tied to the VE racial that makes them void glowy? Idk what it’s called.

Though…lets still hope we get options because I’d love highlights like the Pandaren women.

On another note, dwarf customizations are finally fully added and blood elves have had their missing customizations (like ear length) added in as well, so those should be appearing in the Wowhead dressing room before long.

1 Like

i am ready to see the draenei customizations now thanks

Dwarf customizations and BE (no VE) additions are available in WoWhead if ya want to tinker with it.

As we see more and more customizations I’m a little worried about how humans are the only race so far which is getting new faces.

Hair, beards and tattoos are great and all, but so many races have “that one face” that everyone uses because it is the only halfway decent choice. Really hoping that as the alpha proceeds everyone gets as many new faces as the humans did.

6 Likes

Someone mentioned that Night Elves are disabled right now? Can’t confirm that or not since no Alpha, but if true, that could mean that they’re going to be next.

If Draenei have to sacrifice face shape for body shape/type option, I mean…I’ll be ok with that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I just want male night elves to not look like truckers.

They could be as beautiful as every other elf, but na. They’re all ancient old druid men that are perpetually angry. All of them.

3 Likes