[Spoilers] Night elves should leave the alliance in 8.2.5

Yeah, there is a lot of weirdness about that lore.

And yes, there is a LOT we don’t understand about Bwonsomdi (an entity that despite his Troll-like appearance, claims to predate the Trolls as a species). The Wild Gods; the Loa; the Emerald Dream; and the Shadowlands … this axis of the magical domains really has been sort of neglected in the lore (with a much higher fixation on Fel; Arcane; Light; and Void).

Honestly, go ahead. Every race that has ever left the Alliance usually end up getting their behind kicked even more and ends up crawling back to it.(Stromgarde, Gilneas, Kul Tiras, hell, to a certain degree we got some blood elves back)

Right now most of the civilian population happen to be living in Stormwind, hell they are only alive because the Alliance helped them escape. If nothing else said people are bound to at least be grateful to be alive.

We literally and wait and see what happens. I would also point out the Horde destroyed Stormwind less then two decades ago and yet has had to work with them several times.

2 Likes

Thanks, now I know to ignore ALL your opinions.

5 Likes

The Horde that did so was chased from Lordaeron to Draenor with the survivors being hunted down in the wild or put in camps. We already know that nothing like that will happen between the city elves and the current Horde.

5 Likes

We dont know what happens yet. For all we know Sylvanas at least gets kicked out of the Horde. Also, seems like the whole Horde revolution thing is still going to happen.

1 Like

Current Horde wouldnt even exist if Night Elves were allowed to use their full arsenal since Vanilla but pretty much everything they have was retconed out their society.
Druids given to the Horde and with them we lost almost all our mystical creatures.
Suddenly our biggest zones became neutral or contested so I can call on that to tip the scales in our favor had Blizzard not severly handycapped up since day one.

7 Likes

Im surprised this is not mentioned more.

The fact that the feasel guy says there is a revolution in the making seems to be good news for those who hate Sylvanas.

I have seen you and Withpuppies post that tweet, but it has been over looked or something. Seems like big news and confirmation that Sylvanas is being tossed.

1 Like

Is it true that when the Kaldorei were folded into the Alliance for game structure reasons, they lost most of what we’d call their heavy units from WC3? Yes. Though with the Horde having what it has now, it probably wouldn’t cause any real narrative issues if they got the stone giants and chimera back.

That said, to confine it to a lore discussion (and spitball/observe), the Night Elves never had an army of conquest. Look at them- they arose from an internal revolution, and (with the notable exception of the costly war of the sands) didn’t set out to build (or re-build) an empire.

Their military was (and arguably is) almost a warrior cult. They’ve never invested much in infrastructure or production capacity (never needed or wanted to!)

They are fast, mobile, and highly skilled. This, at least, was somewhat well portrayed in the War of Thorns, with the mobile druid group sowing absolute havoc against a force many times their size. They are masters of ambush and movement- not of taking or holding ground. They are right to retreat through Ashenvale, because that creates opportunities for them to fight in the way they are advantaged.

That is, when they are written right (which, again, the material around Sylvanas’s offensive, they largely were- they were just disgustingly outnumbered.) When they are written poorly, it tends to be a disaster of them failing, screaming for help, and being torn apart so that either the Horde can look good, or the Alliance cavalry has something to save. But I digress, badly.

I suppose my point is, when speaking on what the Night Elves should have, or can, do, or how powerful they may or may not be, keep in mind what they are. They don’t have shield walls, bunkers, and rifle lines when written well. They don’t have the deep, consuming military industry that cranks out steam tanks, rifles, and pressed-into-service footmen.

They do have very skilled and versatile warriors who have a powerful martial tradition, backed up by very complimentary druidic forces that work as an amazing auxiliary. So yes, they are powerful, they should be written as powerful…

…but they shouldn’t be written as being able to stand up effectively against the grinding, heavy, supported slog of a Horde army katamari either. At least not in a straight fight.

(All that said, I’d love to have even a short story of the night elves playing the part of the Parthians against Crassus- but Blizz tends not to over think tactics.)

8 Likes

There’s been a revolution in the making since Lost Honor. That doesn’t really mean anything, especially considering we know Sylvanas isn’t going down(with John High strongly suggesting she’d keep the chair during Chinajoy with the “WHO’S YOUR WARCHIEF!?” cheering).

1 Like

That, and it may just be a play on “the revolution will be televised!”, just reversing the statement and changing the term.

1 Like

I get that reference.

But it seems to imply there is a full blown revolution in the encrypted info, and it wont be datamined.

As if the die is cast and it is but a waiting game.

Well I can’t make my transmogs look good on trolls :upside_down_face:

I know that obviously the Horde and Alliance have been at war this entire expansion but it never actually registered to me that this whole thing will be known as the fourth war.

3 Likes

Im all for the Alliance getting back to its Warcraft 2 theme of distrust and political posturing/manipulation instead of being the Superfriends.

Also it would fit with the Elven tradition of “screw you guys I’m going home”.

5 Likes

This!

People think that being a mobile force with guerrilla warfare tactics make kaldorei a bunsh of tree huggers. They look fierce to me, but a war of reconquering their lands today looks highly doubt to me first because they cant launch a massive attack on Horde forces because of their lack of resource and versatility in military power.

Thats being said i think they should stands by what makes them an interesting opponent doing all sort of tricks to make the Horde pay a high cost for occuping their lands.

3 Likes

it was originally called the blood war, but i guess they renamed it to the fourth war

Maybe this “fourth war” includes legion,mop, and cata war.
what we had in mop was just a temporary cease of fire.

Then i could be convinced that this is the fourth war.

but mop had a peace treaty, the war was over and not even in a armistice way

“Conquering lands” also isn’t an easy proposition either. The US had “taken over” most of Afghanistan almost 20 years ago, and yet I’m posting from a combat zone over there in 2019 and the insurgents have regained a lot of territory. Short of massacring everyone you find over there, there will always be hostile resistance. Taking and holding land is EXPENSIVE, both in resources and lives.

I blame it on the simplified writing. Blizzard also couldn’t write a proper insurgency if they wanted to, hencewhy its only in daily quest text.

7 Likes

Well, until Genn and Rogers utilized Alliance war assets in an unprovoked attempt to assassinate the Horde’s new Warchief (from the Horde’s perspective). Hell, from the Horde’s point of view it was major actors within the Alliance attempting to fulfill Varian’s threat WHILE the Horde had “upheld honor”. On top of this there weren’t even any real consequences for Genn, let alone Rogers (who Anduin had total authority to punish for her actions btw).

Then you get Shaw filling Orgrimmar to the brim with SI:7 members to make sure the Horde knows their place (and knows they’re being watched) … and I get the feeling any sort of “Peace Treaty” was a fairly mute point by then for the Horde.

4 Likes