[Spoilers] Alexstrasza and the Dream

Yes, that is a large point that people stating that the Dragon Isles being so safe are purposefully looking away from. Yes, potentially the Horde wouldn’t attack the Dragons and their allies once they’ve regained their strength. But they haven’t yet, and the Dragon Isles are currently an escalating war zone, so planting a world tree there right now at this moment rather than waiting would be rather foolish (unless somehow the world tree ends up having some sort of super power that actually helps repel the Primalists) - and that’s not even taking the factors of the Old Gods that keep being brought up in the corners of relevancy here and there right now.

But that is a factor of Blizzard’s interests in gameplay settings, as they are most inclined to tie new areas into times of conflict most often.

5 Likes

I could definitely imagine them using the World Tree as the location for a megadungeon where we deal with Fryakk. Then they get to give us the uninstanced version and its a two-for-one deal with development time. Perhaps this time we get to save a world tree from being burnt.

Come on man, do you really think Blizzard is going to set another kaldorei tree on fire?

Dragon Isle isn’t just populated by super dragons, you forget the fact that Azeroth’s military elite are there. And that they are Alex’s guided missiles, composing her army, and basically Iridikron has a deep fear of them, as demonstrated in the cinematic.

Do you think he’s really going to attack that tree, knowing it would only serve to make the champions to go on a rampaget? He doesn’t strike me as Sylvanas’ level of stupidity.

In addition, Fryakk only does what the other two incarnates says, he has no will of his own, being just a vehicle for their desire.

The Dragon Isles are the safest place on Azeroth and this is not up for debate. The whole construction of the narrative points to the fact that the incarnated above all are terrified with the prospect of having to face Alex’s armies.

I don’t think that Blizzard would dare burn the tree, but it’s pretty clear given the context of the patch that Fyrakk and his new powers are meant to threaten the tree, and thus provide drama.

Neltharian’s lab is like The Greatest Hits List of things that end world trees. Old god corruption in the hands of the Sundered Flame and unbridled flame in the form of Fyrakk. Both potentially gnawing at the roots of this new tree.

Considering that everything about this current patch screams “this is a distraction!” It may be in Iridikrons plan to have Fyrakk kick the clown car that is this new tree. While the heroes of Azeroth go piranha-swarm on his brother, he will persue some other goal.

Sure they can have some token forces in Kalimdor, but if they move their capital to a tiny island on the other side of the world, where they couldn’t reinforce Kalimdor, they are abandoning it, stormwind couldn’t even help them during WoT because they were too far away and stormwind actually has a navy, the night elves aren’t a sea power and they would be now living on an island? IF they are being moving to the irrelevant dragon isles just to be “safe” because the night elves are so weak they need to be babysat there, they are essentially abandoning Kalimdor.

4 Likes

Given the primalists who attacked the Emerald Dream in the Ysera questline used ice, it’s obvious to me that Vyranoth will go after the tree in whatever patch has us deal with the green dragons in the same way this one deals with the black.

1 Like

Oh no! Grass is weak to Ice :disappointed:
R.I.P. new world tree

5 Likes

Well shoot, Dragon types are weak against Ice, too.

But WoW’s Pokemon just lumps grass and ice together as Elemental, which are strong against Mechanical families in this game, and we’ve yet to have Mecha Elves.

Though, yes, it does feel more likely that Vyranoth will be the Green Dragons’ problem rather than Fyrakk. Not really sure what Blizzard is planning to do with Fyrakk once he’s corrupted and out above the isles again.

6 Likes

In the Assaults he seems to be conspiring with their Djaradin allies to make some shadowflame infused metal for some sort of construction project, and he is apparently searching for something… apparently being driven to by the Whispers? I am sure its fine. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Here’s the issue.

As it stands, the new seed is very specifically a Night Elf plot. It’s made as a gift to Night Elves, specifically for the renewal of Night Elves, using the souls of dead Night Elves.

Ultimately, having said world tree be something then that exists to be a hub for future expansions, or even just a world tree that exists to strengthen the Dragons connection to the Emerald Dream sort of just cheapens that.

It also doubles down on a fairly major complaint I’ve seen about Teldrassil. That ultimately, the burning happened to further someone elses story. IT furthered Sylvanas story. It furthered Saurfangs story. It eventually turned into something that furthered Tyrande’s story, but due to pacing of content release it was… frankly not the best. But it was at least there.

Having this World Tree, wherever it’s planted, be anything except something for Night Elves just isn’t really going to work. It has to move their story forward in a notable way.

More, people are saying it’s in the Dragon Isles because the World Tree has been seen in Dragon Isles since early builds.

All of that being said, I’m not 100% it will be the new home. One of the other big theories is it’s going to be used to bring back all the dead Night Elves. I don’t really think that’s going to happen either.

What we do know, is that whatever the World Tree is, it’s something that Tyrande and Malfurion both think Tyrande needs to be there for to lead her people. That… indicates something fairly major specifically for Night Elves.

And if the tree is grown in Dragon Isles, I can’t really see it being moved.

15 Likes

thing is through way I see it I much would rather see it as a portal to the Emerald Dream than a New Darnassus. If a New Darnassus was a thing then it would be in moonglade where the night elves are in northern kalimdor.

1 Like

And also we have to remember that we didn’t just lose Darnassus. Teldrassil was a whole zone with several areas. It was a continent on its own. A rich ecosystem with many species inhabiting it. Cities and villages. So replacing it with just a “big tree” is not gonna work.

9 Likes

Also for what it’s worth, all the people saying nothing says the World Tree will be the new home.

Credit to Stromgarde Enjoyer on Twitter for pointing it out.

Throughout the ages I have fought for my people and the lands we call home. One day, I hope that I will stand together with Tyrande before the new world tree, our new home.
No matter what happens, she and I share a love that is eternal.

Across the Weald - Wowpedia - Your wiki guide to the World of Warcraft (fandom.com)

Malfurion himself says it.

2 Likes

Since we first saw the map it was pretty obvious they designed it to put something off the coast of the Emerald Gardens; I was 50/50 on if it be the way into the underground zone or a world tree. Then they placed Tyrande purposefully staring out into that area before and after she talked to Ysera about the new tree, and then placing the cavern entrances where they did… It became cut and dry to me that was what they were aiming for—And that was before I had seen the datamined cinematic or early alpha screen shots.

I think expecting it to go anywhere else is wishful thinking at this point, tbh.

4 Likes

I mean, it’s been where everyone expected it to go. At least in the conversations I’ve been part of.

1 Like

Where exactly in emerald gardens this tree will grown?

Right about here.

6 Likes

I’ve flown over this area you’ve shown, and it’s huge, probably bigger than the area where ancient Teldrasill once stood.

It seems to me an indication that in the future it would be a complete zone.

1 Like

It is large enough that it stands out.

Funny enough, were the change to happen, I don’t really want the city to be in the tree. I think that would be a waste.

Use Lunedan and the surrounding islands to build up towers and homes and spires overlooking the tree, bridges and boats connecting to it, with stone walkways and multi-layered platforms like we see in Vashyr encircling the tree.

Make it absolutely magnificent. Make it something new. Something that feels like it’s more than just a replacement for the sake of a replacement.

4 Likes

Yeah no. First, no evidence at all that they’re leaving Kalimdor. None. Or that the tree growing in the Dragon Isles will be their capital. Again, no evidence of that. But let’s humor the idea that it is their capital.

Did you forget that there’s a massive Emerald Dream portal right next to the location where the tree is supposed to be placed? Those portals can ferry troops, something Jarod Shadowsong pointed out back in Cataclysm.

This portal is not just a means of bringing back Cenarius through the dream. Think about it, hero. Once a gateway through the Emerald Dream is open, our forces can use them to move freely from Moonglade, Nordrassil, and even Wyrmrest to this strategic location.

Meaning that they can ferry troops to any other location where there is another portal to the Emerald Dream. Meaning on top of the locations mentioned there, they could also send forces to/from Duskwood, The Hinterlands, Ashenvale and Feralas (the locations of four massive portals to the Emerald Dream) as well as Val’sharah.

You’re right, they couldn’t, because the Horde outsmarted the Alliance by making them think that the Horde was sending an army down to Silithus, which is why the majority of the Night Elf Navy (yes they have one) had sailed down to Feralas. By the time the Alliance leaders realized they were marching into Night Elf lands it was too late for them to do anything.

3 Likes