[Spoilers] Alexstrasza and the Dream

As main Horde player, I didn’t feel like BfA was a win in any way.

Most of the story featuring my faction made sure to paint it as the villain fodder that was put under the spotlight in order to showcase the struggle of the “real heroes”.

So yeah, it’s not as Black and White.

Not really a win if the story uses your faction as the villain that gets defeated and stomped to have the hero shine. Regardless of the additional tragic frame they give him.

Examples being:

Not a lot of victorious fistpumps to be had with that kind of story unfolding.

5 Likes

That’s literally what they had already did when Teldrassil was grown, too. But they didn’t stop healing Nordrassil or tending to Ashenvale after Teldrassil was grown, either.

Teldrassil was just off the coast of Kalimdor, this time they are moving their very flammable tree across an ocean on another continent.

Which is great don’t get me wrong, the Burning and multiple conflicts have shown that the Horde can just faceroll the Night Elves when they want so moving elsewhere that could be more defensible is a good idea.
I am sure the NEs will still try to hold on to what they have in Kalimdor but the threat of the Horde just marching through and burning another world tree and committing genocide against them has been successfully eliminated.

Long time ago I was advocating for a wall or garrisons or some magical defenses that will stop the Horde in their next genocidal tracks but this works just as well.

1 Like

People in this thread have also generally covered that the flammability of Teldrassil also didn’t make any sense.

4 Likes

Lots of things didn’t make sense in the story for BFA to happen. I agree, but it did happen and just like the Law… and I am no lawyer, it kind of set many precedents that have implications.

And we can’t just say yeah A, B and C failed last time but they wont next time. On a story level you got to explain why it failed and why it wont fail next time. Instead of getting into this mess Blizzard took another solution… take the NEs someplace that the Horde hasn’t gotten the chance to prove that they could just waltz through and destroy what they feel like destroying.

A great many things did not make sense at the burning. Afrasiabi went out of his way to make it as much like Arthas marching for the sunwell as he could, to make Sylvanas into Arthas 2.0. It was honestly a lot of effort given he was doing it purely out of spite.

5 Likes

I don’t think he was spiteful, I think he had an idea because he thought it looked cool but he didn’t think how to make it happen in a convincing way and thought even less about how to clean up that mess or the consequences of it.

He really gives the impression of a man that never thinks about the consequences of his actions.

Yeah, on top of Exploring Kalimdor’s MYRIAD of other issues, just resetting everything to Status Cataclysm, while it may be accurate to what’s in game, was profoundly unsatisfying.

4 Likes

If Blizzard wanted the Horde to be able to defeat the dragons and burn a world tree on their isles then Blizzard would write it as such. Fiction being fiction, there are no safe assurances, because all previous writing can be ignored, past lore being something Blizzard has said it does not restrain their creative teams with.

7 Likes

I think the backlash they would get is what constrains them. Most of the team didnt want to go there to begin with, which is why most the writing feels so lacklster and forced.

On that same note though, I am concerned about the new Deeper and Deeper its roots will grow N’zoth line

4 Likes

I think the current team at Blizzard will never do that ever again and yes if they want to make it happen they can obviously.

I am just talking on a story level. On the story level the Horde, through bad writing was able to do what they did, and the writers have made it so that it has happened multiple times. The WoT finale basically was game set and match, there is no further argument or justification after WoT we can make that the Night Elves can hold off the Horde if the Horde really wants to do another WoT.

The Wild gods wont help because they have never helped and multiple times now the NEs have gotten beat in their own home turf in their own fighting style. There is just no coming back from that in my opinion.

At least now they are in some far away magical island with dragons who will hopefully do a better job. I am just so glad they wont be putting the Night Elves back on Kalimdor and when I ask them “Ok but what’s different this time” they will not be answering me “We are”

Oh so glad thats not what I am supposed to accept as a reasonable explanation

1 Like

Hey, look, everyone said some things we all regret last time. And maybe things got a little out of hand. Maybe there was a little light imperialism and yes, a touch of mass murder.

But Thrall really thought about life when he was farming badly and Jaina went to Magic Therapy, so obviously we’ve all changed and grown as people and it won’t happen again.

2 Likes

Basically the Horde anytime after their latest self-discovery trials and tribulations

On a side note, if you do read this, because I’m exactly fussy enough to want to clarify myself…

If you look at the context, my point was that the Wildhammer aren’t particularly Native American coded… But by the standards the gentleman was using for the Frostwolves being such, they could be read as such.

Just because that was bothering me.

Though Wildhammer are actually tall for dwarves instead of short and don’t really seem to be a painted, pale and black haired, vanishing people perpetually pushed out and diminishing into folklore. And they have a lack of mounds. But almost nothing is a 1:1… And if it is, it becomes awkward fast.

On a story level the Horde had to trick the Night Elves into withdrawing their entire army so that the Horde could get through Ashenvale, when they couldn’t back when Garrosh tried. And then when the Night Elf army returned they pushed the Horde out of Darkshore and took back their holdings in Ashenvale and are even pushing at Orgrimmar’s back gate again with the Night Elves still holding Talrendis Point still. On a story level, the Alliance’s intention was to send the Night Elf army to Silithus to handle the entire Horde’s army. The War of the Thorns did not define the Horde as being able to overpower the Night Elves.

And as you said, the current Blizzard staff would not likely intend to write the Horde attacking again.

2 Likes

I’m very optimistic that now that the Horde no longer has a Supreme Dictator For Life who unilaterally makes all the decisions, we should be on smaller scuffles. Or maybe none at all. Because frankly, fighting over lumber when there’s druids on the Horde has always been a trifle… insane.

1 Like

As I said earlier, the lumber point really just feels like propaganda Garrosh was pushing, given the abundant amount of lumber we took from Garrosh’s forces gathering lumber in the Barrens to supply Vol’jin’s resistance with.

2 Likes

Yeah but still its story development that doesn’t inspire any confidence that the next time the Horde attacks the Night Elves are capable of stopping the next burning.

The Horde is not likely to succeed with another diversionary tactic to draw the entire Night Elf Army away from where the Horde is really intending to attack. The Night Elves aren’t relying on Stormwind spies for “intelligence” any more.

Thats a “human” error fault, you can’t really guarantee the Night Elves will never make mistakes or be outsmarted by the Horde. They need something more.