[Spoilers] Alexstrasza and the Dream

Because they gave the same wild gods to all the horde druids sans Zandalari, so the guardians of hyjal are now stuck in a permanent state of forced story neutrality.

1 Like

No explanation. They left Cenarius out so the story would work for the Horde to be able to March through, same as they ignored the Emerald Dream portals making it easy to move large numbers through them.

4 Likes

Unfortunately there is nothing in the lore of why the Night Elves werenā€™t able to defend themselves with the help of their historical allies.

If not Cenarius literally any other entity.
The whole faction fantasy and survival of the NEs is shattered just as the Hordeā€™s any claim of being anything more than monsters when it really matters.

This new content that moves the new vulnerable NE homeland to a new location away from the Horde is the best Blizzard seems to manage.

So yeah Treng and all the other edgy Horde players won their precious faction war. The NEs literally have to move someplace else to just live in peace.

2 Likes

Are we choosing sides now?

I want to choose the one where we ignore both sides and go have a spa day instead.

You know, whenever i read the story forum, everywone seems extremely dissatisfied. You say its a win, but i dont see any horde player feeling like a winner

2 Likes

Yeah I wasnā€™t aware there were ā€˜sidesā€™.

I think the side heā€™s referring to is the side that recently got the name of Volā€™jinā€™s bodyguards changed (the ones that were added to the game during Cataclysm) because the name they originally had was racist.

Which you know what? Itā€™s good that they changed that.

But the level of freak out over it is making me scratch my head. Itā€™s not like this content was newly added, it was just (at least until recently) overlooked by the developers when they went on their purge of inappropriate names and references.

I think some of it is varying perspectives. All of us are never going to be happy, and unhappy people usually make more noise.

Potentially moving the night elves out of Kalimdor, or at least some of the population, is also a weird choice, given that their whole schtick was defending the land. I guess with the Burning Legion gone and the Old Gods sat on for the moment, itā€™s maybe less of a sacred duty? Who knows.

Agreed, i said that cause i rarely see Horde players saying ā€˜you know, i REALLY liked the horde lore in the last expansionsā€™.

Honestly, Iā€™ve never seen anyone say that

4 Likes

TBH that story was gonna happen come hell or high water so I am sorta glad the guardians of hyjal sat out, or Sylvanas would of found some way to kill the wild gods .

Honestly, it was a really good move because that name was @*#^@! awful. So well done.

They should update things and maybe fix glaring past errors.

I riffed a little earlier on in this thread about how orcs used to be terribly sexist, with the 90s GIRL POWER Serja Darkthorn (I think that was her name; itā€™s been a while) moment, and thatā€™s been softly shuffled off to the side. Which is genuinely nice. Same for trolls, although their sexism was generally RPG stuff and implied rather than the somewhat overt original orcs. And thatā€™s good. Because we donā€™t really need that noise.

Or immersion breaking real life Very Rude Words to describe characters.

3 Likes

100%, no argument there.

2 Likes

I unfortunately canā€™t say I disagree. Likewise, while I wish the Darkshore Warfront had a rotation of leaders like the Arathi one did (they had even recorded lines for Malfurion and Nathanos to be bosses like Maiev and Sira were), and Cenarius would have been an idea leader for the Night Elves there at, I am also glad neither Malfurion and Cenarius were not fightable in the warfront, as most likely the result would just be people bragging about having beat them up.

3 Likes

I mean, I muscled through BFA on my orcs, but I am absolutely not going to say BFA or Shadowlands made me feel good.

Different kind of bad than it made me feel on my night elves, so at least I got a variety of terrible, but I only really enjoyed it as a dwarf andā€¦ Well, I did have some fun on my troll by completely ignoring the plot and collecting battlepets instead.

3 Likes

I still remember rolling my eyes so hard when they named the troll king RASTA KHAN. Like, geeze guys.

1 Like

Blizzard ā€“ known throughout the world for their subtlety and deft touch!

1 Like

There is plenty to be unsatisfied about in the story but as far as winning goes.

Treng for example is upset that in the quest dialogues the Horde soldiers described the NEs were killing 8 Horde for every death of their own.

Thats loss to him, doesnā€™t matter that Ashenvale and Darkshore got taken or Teldrassil got burned as people like him desired. That single line that Night Elves appeared competent in TEXT that was enough to make him unhappy.

And then we had Battle for Darkshore, and to his head this is the epic win that tips the scales.
Really any single instance that the Horde could be considered negatively undoā€™s all the positives.

Night Elves literally have to leave their homeland to be safe from the Horde and he will probably find someway to say this is actually bad for the Horde becauseā€¦ whatever I donā€™t even care to imagine it.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s just perspective.

Iā€™ve joked about it a few times, but the night elves are absolutely a powerhouse among the playable races. Theyā€™re an unstoppable juggernaut who can take the fight to the back gates of Orgrimmar after everything from BFA for the SECOND TIME. But since theyā€™re inclined to win so much in the background, they get consistently Worfā€™d with the fury of a thousand backhands across the bridge.

My word, as soon as the player character shows up, they choke and die. Dramatically.

Night elves are great when the ā€œcameraā€™sā€ not on them, but when thereā€™s focus, itā€™s mostly on how tragic they are while losing. But not their actual reactions or feelings about anything because that would interrupt Anduin and Saurfang time.

Man, I did not like BFA.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think Trengā€™s made a comment on it in this thread, but most posters in this thread do not suspect the Night Elves will be abandoning their holdings on Kalimdor, just gaining an additional location at the Dragon Isles.

1 Like

I think its as long as it says in the books, Night Elves are fine.
In the game though? Its like Benny hill but the tragedy is turned to 11

I donā€™t think they are abandoning it either but they are definitely putting what they find worth protecting and vulnerable not on their ancestral land that they have guarded over for thousands of years but a new landā€¦ because yeah the old land is just not that defendable it seems because every couple of years the Horde just marches through in their bloodbath parade.

2 Likes

The nelves were the most screwed in all of this, iā€™m not debating that, its justā€¦I dont feel a winner,at least not with that plot of the new tree, and certainly i didnt feel like a hero serving Sylvanas, or seeing one of my favorites character(Saurfang) dying. What really made me feel a winner was the orc heritage questline, with old folks showing, deserts becoming forests, the clans revival.

Thatā€™s why I insist so much that the orcs stay away from the nelves. The Horde leaves Ashenvale, the Alliance leaves Barrens and from there, Orcs can go south and we never get to look in each other faces ever again apart from the bases that the nelves have there.

The two have been fighting since war 3 and no oneā€™s really winning anything with it, Orcs take ashenvale just to be pushed back, and the Nelves push the orcs back just to wait for the next assault, its honestly just lazy writing.

5 Likes