[Spoilers] Alexstrasza and the Dream

TBH I am not sure how the homeland of the all but certainly soon to be re-empowered Dragon Aspects and their civilization will ever be irrelevant in lore. The Aspects are something that crop up ALL THE TIME.

2 Likes

Not really no, Kalimdor and EK are the only really relevant areas, all expansions start from there most of the books take place there, you constantly go back there. This will be the first time they actually just move an original race off the continents to live in a expansion zone. Not to mention how far away it is from Kalimdor, it’s much closer to undercity than stormwind. Not to mention moving the night elves to the plains instead of a forest is also pretty dumb, sending them off to this tiny island in the middle of the ocean also means future night elves wouldn’t even have any kind of connection with Kalimdor.

It’s for sure illogical to just move the night elves to the dragon island it it would be extremely stupid, but that is also why I said IF that happens it the worst outcome.

The dragon aspects are relevant, the dragon isles are not. The dragon isles have been irrelevant for 10k+ years up until this expansion.

3 Likes

I would ask simply when is the last time we started an expansion anywhere except Stormwind or Orgrimmar? And secondly, after we start them there do we ever in lore come back until the next expansion? Your logic here is a little wacky to me as by it 99.9% of the world is irrelevant.

I would also argue that the Dragon Isles will remain highly relevant as the home of the Aspects and only great power on par with the Horde and Alliance. It is a reforming civilization that has been in tatters for ten thousand years, but is quickly finding its feet again.

3 Likes

The Night Elves have a strong hold in Feralas, having an even larger Feathermoon Stronghold that before the Cataclysm, as well as the Cenarion Circle and Green Dragons having reclaimed the Dream Bough after the Druid player removed Ysondre’s seal during Legion, while Exploring Kalimdor states that the Horde is losing ground to the Gordunni Ogres.

In Felwood they have Whisperwind Grove named after Tyrande, and during the Cataclysm questing the Alliance player and the Worgen of Talonbranch Glade blew up the Horde’s Irontree holdings, and the Horde had already lost Bloodvenom Post even before that.

Winterspring only really has Starfall Village, but the strongest power in Winterspring, even more so than the Everlook Goblins, is the Blue Dragons, which will likely be even further empowered as Dragonflight’s story progresses.

The Night Elves have taken everything in Ashenvale back except for Splintertree Post and the Warsong Lumbercamp, but both are constantly under siege by the Night Elves and they’re basically cut off from the rest of the Horde, as the Night Elves hold Talrendis and the bridge there at in Azshara, and the Horde has also lost the Mor’shan Rampart again according to Exploring Kalimdor. Additionally as discussed earlier, Gorgonna is the new Warsong chieftain, who previously had not agreed with her sister’s idea of attacking Ashenvale for resources.

And though you didn’t bring it up, the Cenarion Circle has not only rebuilt Cenarion Hold in Silithus, it has taken back Staghelm Point and have grown a new Sentinel Tree (the kind of tree they grew within the Firelands) there at, according to Exploring Kalimdor.

3 Likes

Big difference between Emerald Dream portals and mage portals.

Emerald Dream portals can transport entire armies and their supplies. Mage portals can’t. That’s because Emerald Dream portals are powered by the dream itself, while mage portals require a large amount of energy expenditure to keep open. Even Khadgar, the most powerful mage on Azeroth, cannot transport armies through a portal. He doesn’t have the power to do so.

A few people? Sure, a mage can send a few people through a portal, but an entire army? Nope.

1 Like

Well, Jaina can, but she can do a lot of weird stuff that most mages can’t do.

Even Jaina can’t transport entire armies. I can’t recall a single moment in lore when she could or did.

I mean look at Original Town in Darkshore. They still barely manage to fix it.

Legion.

Horde returns to Orgrimmar in MoP and BFA, Alliance returns to Stormwind in BFA.

During Warcraft III, at the Battle of Mount Hyjal, which can be seen again in the Battle of Mount Hyjal raid. As well as at the end of the Battle for the Undercity during Wrath.

4 Likes

I was extremely annoyed at Blizzard for this during BfA. They entirely spruced up Stromgarde Keep for the Arathi Warfront, but they only half fixed Auberdine (the Inn is weirdly nice) and just put a green glow on top of Lor’danel - they didn’t even bother to destroy or ruin the buildings, and even the town’s trees are just happily sitting there unaffected by the blight.

3 Likes

…

Yeah no. Firstly, in both cases a portal was not used (which is what we’re talking about, the use of portals). Secondly, during Warcraft III, Jaina never ‘teleported armies’ only herself after the Burning Legion and Scourge forces wiped hers out. As for the Battle for the Undercity, that was, again, a teleport spell and she didn’t teleport armies, just King Varian, herself, a few elite soldiers and the player character.

The lore is fairly clear when it comes to mage portals. They cannot be used to transport armies or supplies to outfit an army. It requires too much energy to maintain a portal capable of doing so.

Portals have been used to help evacuate entire settlements and cities in times of crisis and emergency, such as Darnassus during the War of the Thorns, although it apparently requires tremendous amounts of time and effort to maintain them in the long term, as well to fully evacuate populations using portals alone. It was mentioned that the Alliance could not move armies through portals as one did handful of individuals, and that most travelers could go through portals by twos or three at the most, a very useful way for an individual to quickly get from one place to another, but not ideal for massive evacuations.[3]

Portals are suitable for moving a handful of individuals easily, but not usually stable enough for moving whole armies.[4] Typically, large, stable portals require a person channeling and maintaining it on the other side. People cannot enter portals at the same time when going in opposite directions,[5] but can enter portals in up to twos or threes going in the same direction.[6]

Okay, I just want to focus in on this part. You just described Teldrisil. It was also on a small island in the middle of the ocean. Granted it IS much closer to Kalimdor, but as many people have pointed out there is a nearby portal to the emerald dream guarded by the Night Elves biggest dragon allies that they can use to pop on over to Kalimdor easy peasy. There would be nothing stopping any future generations of Night Elves from visiting the rest of their lands in Kalimdor.

1 Like

I was hoping to see more updated night elven buildings like the lodge, guardtower, outdoor decks house, and etc in like darkshore or ashenvale hd warfront. So disappointed.

3 Likes

Are Stormwind and Org not on EK and Kalimdor? Do most (if not all) of the pre-expansions happen on EK and Kalimdor? Do most of the books not take place in EK or Kalimdor? Do those continents not make up most of Azeroth? I’m not really sure why you think the main continents are irrelevant, the dragon isles have been absent for 10k+ years, it’s so irrelevant we aren’t even sending armies here to deal with their issues, just explorers.

I’m sure they just forgot to use them, Malfurion sure didn’t think to use the emerald dream portals to help. The green dragons also didn’t help the night elves and use them, but they are also neutral so they would continue to not help the night elves out against the horde. There is no reason to believe those portals would be use for anything other than neutral CC movements, because that then also means the dream belongs to the night elves, and blizzard would not do that.

Teldrassil is right next to Darkshore and Ashenvale, the dragon isles is on the other side of the world. The green dragons are also neutral and the emerald dream portals, if they can be used to transport troops (they would not be used), would not be used to assist the night elves against the horde, because they are neutral, the night elves would not just use the emerald dreamway as a path to kalimdor.

Sure maybe new night elves could “visit” kalimdor, but that’s also extremely stupid they would have no connection to that land, that would not be their home, the tiny island in the middle of the ocean would be where they live now, which would be excessively idiotic.

3 Likes

They don’t use Emerald Dream portals because the Emerald Dream is a very dangerous place. Exceedingly dangerous place. It’s not just a blueprint. It’s an unfinished blueprint and people can just vanish by simply going through it.

And it has it’s own residents that like to play with mortals.

1 Like

But I don’t want to be a tourist visiting Kalimdor from time to time. As Night Elves we should be living there.

4 Likes

The closest dream portals were in Ashenvale, but on the other side of the forest, far behind enemy lines. And Moonglade, which is high up on the mountain, meaning any reinforcements would have to travel through Furbolg territory, and then down through Felwood to get to Ashenvale.

In both cases any Alliance or Night Elf forces sent would have been far behind enemy lines. Sure they could try to flank, but as the Horde were bringing up supplies and reinforcements, that would have been extremely risky and likely would not have accomplished much.

1 Like

And you will be.

This hysteria about how the Night Elves are ‘abandoning Kalimdor’ is complete horsecrap with no factual basis behind it. Just some Twitterbros getting outraged over their perceived headcanon.

This.

The possibilities of building an architectural marvel there are enormous. Including using the same assets we see in Suramar, with that beautiful water gate that surrounds the city. The same can be done in that space that separates the two islands further east.

For me it would be the most beautiful city in the game, even though I am not a big kaldorei fan, I would find it fantastic to see a city that really resembles a tree similar to the one we see in LOTR when the fellowship arrives in the realm of the forest elves.

People really seem to have misunderstood the signs that Blizzard has sent of renewal that Tyrande uses in her cinematics in SL. That decision was taken a long time ago and I really think they won’t go back, because everything indicates that it will really be a huge capital, which may even contain leveling zones.

Little island?

The region is much larger than Teldrassil, and is likely to be similar in size to Darkshore. The Dragon Isles maps are huge, each one of them is equivalent to at least 3 of the maps of EK and Kalimdor.

Furthermore there is no evidence that they would abandon Kalimdor. They would just have a super capital protected by the most powerful beings on Azeroth.

Kaldorei would never abandon their oath to protect forests, and this would likely be strengthened by the similarity of their vocation to that of the red and green dragonflight. And not by chance there will be dream portals exactly in the region so that they can carry out this mandate over the nature of Azeroth.

Clearly the race is receiving a much higher level of appreciation than any other race in Azeroth, the problem is that you judge from the perspective of our characters who are champions of Azeroth, but think what it would mean for a civilian kadorei to go live in a protected location by demigods, do you really think they would rather sit alongside orcs again?

In terms of what it means to go live on the dragon isles s it’s the closest we would get in WOW to going to live with the Valar from LOTR in the undying lands. And you come to tell me that this is spitting on kaldorei lore, trying to make it seem like the flocks are merely flying lizards of no great relevance, give me a break.

3 Likes