(SPOILERS) 9.1 Tyrande Cinematic

All land is troll land

All earth is the land of elementals. Maximum - proto-dragons.

So what you’re saying is that you have an Alliance character that’s a higher level than you’re Horde characters?

So you’re an Alliance main then.

2 Likes

https://media.tenor.co/videos/75a3fd4e73dc226799355b15654157d2/mp4

1 Like

Britain’s and France’s geopolitical interests were in conflict for the greater part of 800 years. That common interest is a recent development, little more than a century old and in large part thanks to Théophile Delcassé. If such a wide breadth of world history is too intimating for you, though, and you would like to confine yourself solely to the modern period, I suggest you take a look at France and Germany. They are probably the two closest allies in western Europe and their mutual cooperation began barely a decade after one occupied the other, because it served their self-interest to do so.

The orcs certainly had something to offer the night elves when they fought along side them against the Burning Legion at the Battle of Mount Hyjal, or when the entire Horde aided the night elves against the invasion of the Firelands (weird how Hyjal is such a hard target, isn’t it?). Of course, it solely served their interest of self-preservation to do so–that’s the great political summation. And considering the next series of expansions are going to be oriented around similar cosmic threats, it would be mutually beneficial to both parties if they weren’t tearing at each other’s throats in a resource war or a war of retribution when the next apocalypse comes to call.

6 Likes

Nothing wrong. Considering the speed with which the heroes of Azeroth destroy threats, you need to wait fifty years and then it will be possible to kill the Horde.
And these are not wars of retaliation. Exceptional survival. Saber-toothed squirrels against tree-eating wolves.

What you’re omitting is that the period in which Britain and France’s geopolitical interests were in conflict, they weren’t the allies that we see them as today - and even that is a more recent development that came first out of Germany’s unification - the thing that put France and Germany in conflict as the two now had strong opponents on the Western side of the Northern European Plain, and then only as allies in the Bretton Woods order as the west collectively would step into Germany’s historical geopolitical tension with Russia on the Eastern side of the Northern European Plain.

That order, however, is breaking apart if it’s not already over. Without getting into a larger discussion on that, I’d refer you to the work of Peter Zeihan to fully flesh that out. One of the things that Zeihan mentions is however that Germany is not expected to remain as passive as it has been in the Bretton-Woods order - but, much of this will also depend on how Russia manages its terminal demographics.

I wouldn’t put down France and Germany as default friends at this point is my point.

Granted, we are ultimately talking about Europe here, where everything is so packed-in with respect to different interests that you can watch alliances shift as balances of power shift. I wouldn’t accuse Kalimdor of being subject to that kind of dynamism. So long as the Orcs want Ashenvale and the Night Elves want to keep it free from being desecrated, the two will be in conflict. Given that one wants to perform genocides as it feels necessary to drive out the other - I again don’t see this situation resolving itself.

That’s…my point? I think you’re inferring that I mean for the night elves and the Horde to become allies while their interests are still conflicting–precisely the opposite. I mean that, like Britain and France, their cooperation should arise out of mutual self-interest in spite of past aggression.

I don’t quite know how to respond to the rest of your post, though. It just reads like the stream of consciousness of a sciolist. Sorry.

5 Likes

Replying merely with insults doesn’t address my point.

Britain and France’s interests shifted because of shifts taking place on the Northern European Plain, where previously they were in competition with each other. Those shifts took place because that part of the world is packed in enough that such changes even could take place. Kalimdor doesn’t have that feature with respect to the parties involved.

Yet. The qualifier you omitted is ‘yet.’

3 Likes

It’s hard to envision what that future state would be unless something drastically changes in some far off future - which doesn’t exactly make it a meaningful thing to bring into what the consequences of a genocide should be.

I mean, sure “never say never”, but we’re so close at this point that we’d have to get into some extreme hypotheticals.

LIke a demon invasion, or a light void invasion, wow has so many end of the world scenarios

3 Likes

Not really. By this point the Horde has demonstrated that they can and will do more damage to the Night Elves than these threats. This also isn’t a new observation.

“At the Wrathgate, your partnership killed more of my men than the scourge.”

1 Like

Orcs commit genocide against humanity.

They still collaborated and founded peace together barely half a generation later.

It fell apart later but that’s the nature of politics.

Wrath was hardly a end of the world thing, the lich king tickled both factions, to bait the PCs to icc so he could have the god killers on his side

Katiera is correct. It’s funny how Hyjal has historically been a hard target for planar invasion. More so now than ever before now that it’s the de facto capital of the night elves. And historically the Horde has contributed significantly to it’s protection. It is likely they will do so again.

7 Likes

The Horde was invading Ashenvale while Hyjal was under attack, Rom. Those actions necessarily made the defense of Hyjal more difficult, notwithstanding the efforts of adventurers who assisted the Cenarion Circle.

I certainly don’t recall the Horde in the meantime assisting with that defense in an official capacity.

2 Likes

I would encourage you to read Chapter 8 of Chronicles again then.

2 Likes

Let’s say the night elves and the Horde strike a truce after a series of apocalypses. What will stop the elven paranoia from gaining the upper hand? It would seem that the salvation of the world, the victory over the Legion - the Horde is still cutting down the forest. Deathwing, Ragnaros - The Horde chops down the forest. Again the Legion, but already in the world of the Legion - the Horde is cutting down the forest. Maybe you shouldn’t give the Horde a fourth (third?) Chance? And kill them all right now? For the future of the children of the night elves, because relatively soon there will be no elders left who can protect them from the maddened Horde for the n-th time. And it is too early to hold weapons in their hands. Plus, fight against battle-hardened space threats …

Because this logic was so compelling for the horde narrative in BFA. :unamused:

1 Like