(SPOILERS) 9.1 Tyrande Cinematic

IMO the biggest drive for sales (coupled with the infamous events) is the belief that there is a “bad expansion -> good expansion” cycle. So Shadowlands supposed to be “BfA lessons learned” one.

9.0 was ambiguous, but the problems with story and gameplay were sort of shrugged off, because they were fixable. But 9.1 does not fix a single thing from 9.0, with some beta feedback still being relevant yet ignored. And no lessons from BfA were learned it seems.

So, yeah. Now we only need Arthas to be used as an Anduin boost machine and continue the retcon parade, so that by the end of the expansion even more people would distance themselves from the story and the game in general than after BfA.

And… it’s not available in the game.

It never “had to”. Depends on the execution IMO.

/offtop

Some rambling

Once upon a time on reddit, after the Shadowlands announcement, when the covenants were revealed, I had a conversation on reddit.

There was a person talking about one of side characters. And asked all sorts of question.

“Where would Stasia Fallshadow be?”
“What would she feel if she would met Valeera, who killed her?”
“What could Valeera feel in this meeting?”
“How could Stasia see the events of her life now?”

And so on. And the people arround just said “who cares?” I participated in the discussion as I could, even though I did not know anything about the character before that.

It was a lesson to me, that there is no character too small, or a place not important.

There are people fortunate enough to have fine lives and stable future. But there are also those who among the troubles outside and at home just
try to keep themselves going forward to a hope of maybe better future one day. And then they come back, and see that the last few things that helped them to move on in their lives were thrown away.

It is a lesson that I’m afraid, blizz with their “but these are oh so important characters!!!1” might never get. Or never wish to get.

There is obvously can’t be guarantee that any character will stay forever alive, and all places will stay fine, but there is an implicit contract, that even if it will be taken away, something will be granted back. A good story, a memo, somethinse else.

And it’s totally not what I see in the game. I see that the devs are willing to ruin anything but just for their own biases, without focus on why the players liked those things to begin with, or what is seen as a problem by the players, not the devs.

IMO every character small and big matter to someone. Someone is sad about the destroyed Undercity. Somebody is sad about what was done to Nightwatch. Both are valid. Both are shortsided. And many others fill the similar situation.

gl hf

3 Likes

That thread had more to do with general story errors, not matters specific to Night Elves. The failure on the part of Horde players to understand that the Alliance more often acts as a tool to harm than to help us is a separate thing.

Here are your statistics:

http^s://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showpost.php?p=1625405&postcount=190
http^s://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showpost.php?p=1625412&postcount=196
http^s://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showpost.php?p=1625519&postcount=226
http^s://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showpost.php?p=1625522&postcount=228
http^s://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showpost.php?p=1625803&postcount=255

To summarize, Night Elves were once a quarter of the playerbase. Not the Alliance playerbase, the ENTIRE playerbase. On Classic servers, this has since been whittled down to 12%, which is something that almost necessarily includes the brand equity effect.

Night Elves used to bring in a lot of money - before Blizzard decided to drive their fans off and illustrate that they weren’t welcome in the franchise.

I’m starting to think that Erevien’s problem is that, for the Horde playerbase, he says the quiet part out loud.

3 Likes

Eh, I think the classic numbers are due to meta reasons.

Are we assuming that those who played night elves simply left and didn’t just reroll?

:pancakes:

The interest curves demonstrate otherwise, and if there was a meta reason, we would have seen movement from 2004 to 2005 that wasn’t in the data. I reject the minmaxing explanation in the classic numbers - back in 2004, Night Elves were a quarter. On classic servers (that is, in the same meta), they went down to 12%.

1 Like

Could be the case. Weapon skill is a strong racial. We’ll see how TBC unfolds. Droods are rather strong this expansion.

Well, Ion a couple times commented the decision to overlap the Shadowlands release with Naxx and claimed that the people who play Classic do not really participate in retail. So, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle?

I mean, maybe people stopped playing retail, but might come back to Classic, although not necessary to play the exact same classes.

gl hf

Because by that point classic (Vanilla) was a known game. It had been figured out. If someone wanted to tank on Alliance they didn’t roll Paladin, and few rolled Night elf because, objectively, human Warrior was the best choice.

There’s also the fact that Classic had fewer RP or RPPVP servers.

I mean, I could always update this study for TBC…

But my point with the classic numbers is that we can see the effect of the people who used to like Night Elves, but now can’t stomach playing them. I still won’t play classic myself because it feels like living a lie to me.

This tells me that you didn’t read the study.

The interest curves dispute this. The 2004 to 2005 data disputes this, and the data was broken down by realm type. It’s down across the board, even on strict RP servers.

1 Like

This is a good point. The number of folks who played Warrior in Vanilla classic is significantly different than TBCC because Warrior is not as meta.

/offtop
Ackshually, spamming BoK in the raid with 20+ warriors generate really high threat.
:eyes:

I wonder why tbh.

It is. But feral feels comfortable even for AQ40 tanking. Skipped Naxx though /sadface.

Eventually, if you’ll have free time.

Understandable.

gl hf

Oh, I’m not denying people played those race/classes. Only that a significant portion of the population followed or tried to follow the meta.

1 Like

Oh yuck. I can get the logic of how that works with buff application causing threat, but rotationally-spamming consumables in order to perform a basic role function sounds awful. D:

2 Likes

For sure, that’s why it wasn’t that widespread a strategy.

/offtop

True, that’s not a valid strategy for people who want something that “just works”.

At the same time there is some debate possible about the game having those unusual cases that the players can discover and step beyond the ordinary things.

Using a bunch of consumables, oils, explosives, etc. is a tedious thing, sure. But it sometimes worked surprisingly well. Like, using just the right tool for the task allowed to be good enough for both the tank and the healer role (druid). Can I recommend bringing 40+ oils of immolation every raid? No. But it was fun for sure, that my class was limited in AoE threat since leveling, yet I found the tools to do what most can’t.

:triumph:

(if only the game would have a good pay off for the stuff like whispers, visual clues, etc., the same could’ve been said about the lore)

gl hf

So honestly, the discussions of which people brought Blizzard in more over the years is very easy to answer.

In order:

Human
Bloodelves
Night elves

These three races brought in the most money financially for Blizzard because these three races had the most players concentrated on them, Night elves alone are more players than Orcs - Trolls and goblin combined.

Bloodelves are more players alone than all other Horde races combined(Now with Allied Race this might have changed)

Blood elves are second because the number of humans/blood elves is about the same, but humans were playable two years earlier).

Lol update for what the Nelf pop is literally fine on retail which you ignore the alliance is like literally dead on classic servers cause if meta reasons for someone who sees themselves as a intellectual you sure like to ignore various variables

I can’t wait for you to defend Sylvanas getting a justification and getting away with everything because genocide is good if she does it, but Tyrande wanting to bring her to justice is wrong according to you.

And yet, there was 4 CGI cinematics for Orcs, and zero for Night or Blood elves. :thinking:

But my argument is not that only these three peoples deserve attention, I just wanted to show Treng how little importance Lordaeron has today and that it is his own preference, which I totally accept, but it has nothing to do with Lordaeron.

Neither is the War of Thorns. But I’m going to guess that while you think invading Undercity doesn’t matter, your opinion will abruptly shift when the War of Thorns is brought up, right?
:smirk:

Which one of them?

gl hf