Spell batching & other authentic functions

Spell batching; this is ultra important and I hope this is on the Blizzard Classic WoW development team radar because it’s a core mechanic in Vanilla game play for several classes.

Some other areas of concern are also very much important for a true authentic experience.

Gear itemization, will this be progressively updated by means of content?
Number of debuff slots (I know 16 is popular).
Pre-Naxx tank threat mechanics including the 1.11 taunt change.

I am not opposed to standardizing things, but I also understand that doing so could be very challenging because it would require boss and NPC tuning.

So far Blizzard, I have been very pleased with the latest set of updates and find your enthusiasm both awesome and intoxicating because the more I see the more hooked I am.

Thanks again for all the hard work and communication!

16 Likes

Just gunna say, if spell batching isn’t a thing… there is going to be a lot of salty mages trying to work out why their shatter combo doesn’t work.

6 Likes

FD trapping clutch openers and vanishing CC will also no longer be possible because it’s a component of that spell batching system.

That and I always enjoyed seeing two rogues sap each other.

6 Likes

Spell batching is important, but I don’t think it’ll be as important as some people around here like to claim.

Especially for the 99% of the playerbase that wont know how to exploit it properly, and really only run into it having an impact by accident.

I would say itemization and 1.12 balance are far more important factors, as that really only emulates the last few months of Vanilla and affects everybody no matter how good or bad they might be.

1 Like

No it’s not it’s entirely a server side non game play decision that while a there were a couple cases that could be exploited most of the time just made random things happen.

Ziryus, this is a situation where you’re incorrect entirely.

Anyone can learn to play at the top of they put in the effort to learn how to play their class.

The spell batching system is 100% a point of skill that should be preserved.

9 Likes

No it’s a completely random fluke of how the servers worked, which often times lead to completely wrong results. Claiming it’s an intended mechanic that could be skilled is no different than claiming that the server issues that could cause you to lose items and progression in the case of a server crash were an intended mechanic.

2 Likes

Flukes of the technology of the time are not “core mechanics.”

3 Likes

This, technically we would never even be able to prove that they hadn’t changed the batching back because all blizzard would need to claim is that everyone just happened to be getting lucky and not actually triggering any weird batching affects.

If spell batching doesn’t exsist in the 7.3.5 server client they are using for classic then im guessing it won’t be in classic? Please correct me if im wrong , i remember a dev discussion about this or something.

It was not a part of the demo, but a lot of time has passed since then.

You have zero concept of this system and it’s interplay.

It was 100% predictable, and that’s why it was so damn good. This is why PvP was still unbelievable in Wrath.

There is a reason why Wrath is often considered the pinnacle of Arena PvP in WoW.

It had a lot of class depth and the expansion was popular for a lot of people. I agree that the PvP was excellent and fun, but spell batching was a component of that.

If you can’t make use of spell batching, then the problem was on your end, not the system.

6 Likes

No it is completely random since you cannot predict where your abilities will line up in a batch with anyone elses. And also by it’s very nature subject to being even more random because of latency issues.

1 Like

Sorry Ziryus, your trying to defend your personal inability to utilize a system you don’t want to exist because you want to lower the bar in competition.

The way I see it, you’re here again opposing an authentic vanilla WoW feature as usual.

Do you ever get tired of getting destroyed in every single argument you propose VS an authentic Vanilla experience?

14 Likes

+1 To spell batching. I remember this stuff. I also remember how i shouldn’t dump conflagrate immediately after releasing an incinerate. One would usually miss, so I had to adapt my timing for the current batch.

With that said, I support re-adding the authentic feel of game play that comes with spell batching.

6 Likes

No you’re trying to pretend that when you got lucky in a random system it was skill and when you didn’t it was lack of skill. The spell batch system is nothing more than pure chance. But if randomly getting lucky makes you feel like you have skill more power to you.

Who does something and goes “Look at that skill!” and then tries it again and fails and goes “Damn I lack skill that time.” No it would be “Damn my timing was off.”

6 Likes

Or it would be in a system that I have no control over something randomly happen.

Calling people a rat is not a persuasive argument. It also doesn’t help the argument or move it anywhere constructive.

4 Likes

I agree, but only sort of. I don’t think you’re right in saying that spell batching was luck, it was almost entirely timing, sure some people COULD get lucky with timing but more often than not if someone pulled off a trick with batching it was probably due to a keen knowledge on timing.

However I am forced to agree that if Blizzard were to reintroduce spell batching, which WAS originally a product of limitation, it will not be the same and will likely not function how people remember it. I could be proven wrong, but as it stands I’m just not seeing how they could replicate it accurately enough for it to be worth it.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter. You aren’t accomplishing anything by calling him a rat. It doesn’t help anyone.

3 Likes