Spell Batching in Classic

I can’t say that I was super invested in this, but I think this a good decision because it will be more authentic.

In Vanilla I had to counterspell a flash heal (or other 1.5sec ast) almost as soon as the cast started, otherwise the interrupt wouldn’t go through. This was kind of annoying, but it did make Improved Counterspell a very valuable PvP talent since if I missed the counterspell I would at least get a silence on the target.

I have to admit that I love the responsiveness of retail and that even on a 1.5 sec cast I can still get the interrupt with counterspell even if I don’t get it off until the very end of the cast. This responsiveness though was not in Vanilla and I learned to play around server lag and I think Classic will more authentic because of its inclusion.

1 Like

If 100% pure authenticity was their goal, they would have used the 1.12.1 client, not 7.3.5. They chose the Legion base for technical reasons and improvements, despite not being perfectly aligned with the original. The term “spell batching” isn’t even a thing, it was just a technical limitation of the time being given a modern name for the sake of debate.

Regardless, I just don’t agree with going backwards on this one, but it’s not a big deal for me either way. Happy for everyone who wanted this though.

6 Likes

Oh man the people who like to point out some changes exist are not going to be happy about this

5 Likes

Oh my god, I love you guys. You’re fully admitting to nerfing your netcode down to Vanilla levels, for the sole fact that that’s how it was in Vanilla.

I’m not a girl and I feel like I’m ovulating. Have my babies.

10 Likes

inc Gankadins Galore on Classic…

1 Like

Waaaaaaahhh

9 Likes

Retail is ----------> thattaway

9 Likes

That’s it, you guys got me, I’m in for WoW Classic !!!

3 Likes

This community is moronic.

This is not actually good.

5 Likes

they couldn’t use the 1.12.1 client as it contained a literal plethora of vulnerabilities that were well known around the web

their only choice was to backport a Legion client since it obviously had all of the backend security additions with each successive patch and expansion built in.

10 Likes

Good or not is not the question. Good or not is subjective.
Authentic is the question

38 Likes

Appreciate the authenticity.

2 Likes

It’s the same as it was in TBC based on what was presented here.

Actually it can do the opposite in open world pvp. Open world pvp in retail is awful because once you get more than 40 people in the same area the delay is unbearable. This is due to the number of processes the server has to handle each second. This should in theory allow for large scale battles to be far less prone to lag.

2 Likes

Its authentic. I agree that for competitive reasons I would prefer the first person who actually charged to land their charge and the person that was 50ms late is SOL… But that’s not how it worked in vanilla (if those charges landed in the same tick), and retaining the feel of the play from vanilla is a big deal.

A really big deal. So while I wouldnt have minded if this wasn’t in…I’m not going to complain about it either.

1 Like

Tell me more things that were in Vanilla that were not good. What else should we change? Loot trading? Should we bring LFR back? How about sub tokens? “Good” is subjective, “Authentic” is not.

For the people who claim so much to be so excited for classic, there’s certainly a large portion of crybabies who want to pick and choose what warts may come with it.

10 Likes

It’s just a bad system. What’s next 800 x 640 forced resolutions?

Kaivax, tell the Classic team thank you.

And thank you for listening all this time. You are a beacon of light in a void of carelessness.

6 Likes

The 1.12 client, and hardware of the time, supported HD resolutions.

Why would we do that when it’s not even authentic?

10 Likes

Doesn’t affect gameplay.