Speculation: The Identity of the Primus *SPOILERS*

Edit April 13 2021:

Primus is Runecarver

Edit April 1 2021: so this got necro bumped but just want to say I am now Team Runecarver = Primus given the DK-compatible runeforge added to the Seat of the Primus. I think the helmet on the Primus was originally on Zovaal and someone managed to take it off. The finger thing could be he Fleshcrafted himself another finger at some point.

Aight, so the two main theories on the identity of the Primus are, assuming he’s not actually dead-dead (can Eternal Ones die?) are:

1. The Runecarver is actually the Primus, the more popular/common theory
  2. The Runecarver is actually Akarek, the Margrave of Eyes, much less popular theory

Now, evidence of why the Primus cannot be the Runecarver.

1. The number of fingers.

The Runecarver has FIVE fingers, the Primus has FOUR fingers.

1. Entirely different voice acting.
  1. Kel’thuzzad during the Necrolord and Venthyr Covenant Questlines brags about how he manipulated and brought down the Houses, brags to Kael’thas and Alexandros about what he did in life, BUT DOES NOT BRAG ABOUT TAKING DOWN THE PRIMUS. Strange!

2. The box art has 6 circles, representing the four covenants we join + Oribos/Arbiter + a 6th circle that looks like the Runecarver’s mask. The Primus would not be represented twice.

Now, on to the Akarek-Primus theory.

1. Akarek was a master spy, the ruler of the literal House dedicated to intel and spying and knowing things. He sent Draka to the House of the Chosen and immediately after the Necropolis is taken down.
  2. In the center of the House of the Chosen is a runestone and hidden within the stone is the Blade of the Primus, that needs to be reforged and empowered with one rune per House in order to open the Seat of the Primus
  1. Coincidentally the last smith trained by the Primus himself is in the House of the Chosen, and coincidentally the last rune that the blade needs is the Rune of Eyes.
  2. Lady Vashj during questing in fact states that the sword is “As Akarek described”.

Now why would a master spy only have one identity?

Now, within the concept art, we see that Akarek is a spider dude, aka Aranak, who are “native” to Maldraxxus.

https://twitter.com/killlertune/status/1301620317173870592?s=20

What’s strange however is that in every zone of the Shadowlands, the indigenous species/peoples of each zone are made in the image of their Eternal One in charge. Venthyr look like Denathrius, Kyrians look like the Archon, all the various fairy creatures resemble the Winter Queen.

Yet the statue of the Primus does not resemble the only native species of Maldraxxus: the Aranak… unless!

I present you all with a scene of one of my favorite LOTR video games:

Now, wouldn’t it make perfect sense for the Primus of Maldraxxus, who founded all Five Houses of Maldraxxus, to be the “real identity” of Akarek, the Margrave of Eyes? To be able to shift between a spider form, as Akarek and as father of all the Aranak, and a humanoid form, as the Primus?

Wouldn’t it make perfect sense for a master spy to lead a double life, and for the Primus to have a secondary identity with which to engage with his people on the ground?

And wouldn’t it make perfect sense for such a being to gain the upper hand by essentially faking his death twice, so his enemies do not see him coming?

11 Likes

Comic book logic says everyone can die, but death is usually meaningless.

:cactus:

8 Likes

As always, I love your thorough and deep engagement and feedback.

But yes, agreed.

lol

1 Like

It was a rather silly question. We are murder hobos, we’ll figure out how to kill anything for 20 gold.

3 Likes

??? what, am confused

Likely rhetorical and not necessary for carrying the conversation of the point at hand. But adding flavor (spice?).

:cactus:

2 Likes

I’m suggesting anything can die if we’re pointed at it. Nevermind.

2 Likes

(Commentary): Unit Exacitor is fairly certain the previous Archon of the Kyrians sacrificed themselves to push back the Void. So, unless the Kyresta was the Eternal One and delegated to the previous Archon, my guess is that they can die.

1 Like

the what push back the what

quest text says the Archon made Bastion and created the winged Kyrians and that Kyrestia is the Firstborne of the winged kyrians

(Clarification): There are a number of lore tidbits scattered around the Shadowlands. Some include those who fell fighting the Light or Void. I may be mistaken, but previously it was noted the original Archon sacrificed themselves to push the Void out of the Shadowlands.

1 Like

The Void did indeed invade Bastion, but there is no mention of the Archon sacrificing herself, let alone there being a prior Archon.

2 Likes

(Statement): You are correct. Unit Exacitor did some research. It was Agthia, the previous Paragon of Courage, who sacrificed themselves. According to this reddit post, at least.

https://www.reddit.com/r/warcraftlore/comments/g4zjdv/shadowlands_alpha_interesting_bastion_side_quest/

4 Likes

Yup! The Archon goes through Paragons like flour at a bakery. I don’t think any of them are the original Paragons.

Revendreth has The Curator, The Stonewright, and Prince Renathal being the remaining 3 original Venthyr made by Denathrius’ will.

All the Margraves of Maldraxxus were/are the original Margraves I believe.

Winter Queen also goes through Dromans a bit.

She has a Nightmare Droman among them no less! Droman Fitia!

N’Zoth has left his mark on Ardenweald and the place doesn’t even blink at the notion of the Nightmare being present!

Well we found her model in the datamine but so far she doesn’t have any quests assigned to her

She also has Ursol, it’s almost like they reuse models from time to time.

The Runecarver is the Jailer

1 Like

I am not sure about the rest of it, but isn’t the 6th the Jailer?

I have seen the Akarek theory thrown around and hey it could be the case, we will have to see what the big reveal ends up being.

Thanks for your work on this. Very cool theories and entertaining to think about and read. I wish i had something to add to it more than a thank you.
:mage: :woman_mage:

2 Likes