Speculation: The Identity of the Primus *SPOILERS*

Yeah, this all really cool but can we talk about scaling for a second?

All of the Eternal Ones, The Archon, The Winter Queen, The Runecaver and even the Jailer are all scaled larger to show them as being an Eternal One and the Runecarver being the Primus makes sense in that regard.

Which leads me to Denathrius who is remarkably smaller than the rest. My personal theory is the Jailer is actually the Eternal One of Revendreth and Denathrius replaced him when he was chained in the Maw. This is the secret that the Archon was keeping and would probably lead to a story where we find out more about the Jailer’s betrayal and the Archon’s coverup. The cinematic and his voice lines “that prison couldn’t hold me forever.” implies that the Archon chained the Jailer up because he betrayed them. Only Bastion uses mind wiping techniques as part of acenscion suggesting that it’s the Archon who possibly wiped the Runecarvers memories.

The Runecaver was locked up way before the Anima drought, as early as when the Lich King was formed as a faction of the Burning Legion.

Denathrius’s original sword is in the Maw and it calls him “the Heir” not the Sire, he may have only inherited Revendreth. Itwouldn’t be a twist to find out the Primus is the Runecarver, but it would be a twist if the jailer was originally the Eternal One of Revendreth. The Jailer was possibly the original Sire of Revendreth and the creator of the Dread lords, Denathrius was created as his heir.

8 Likes

I could believe it. Except it doesn’t really seem like he’s faked his death yet. Otherwise we’ll have to wait for more information.

I think the Runecraver might be to the Primus what Ren’thal is to Denathrius; not the Primus himself, but his firstborn (in a way). I don’t think the Primus is Arakek though; the Primus mastered all the ways of war of the five Maldraxxian houses, doesn’t make sense that he’d impersonate just one.

4 Likes

A month late to the party, but I’m still here!

I like this. I like it a lot, because it resolves something that bugs me.

The Winter Queen, the Archon, Denathrius and the statue of the Primus each look nothing alike. They have the basic humanoid framework, but vary wildly beyond that. Additionally, they (mostly) look related, yet distinct from their realms’ inhabitants.

Denathrius looks pretty much like all other Venthyr. And the Jailer looks very similar to the Venthyr, but distinct from them. If Zovaal were the original leader of the Venthyr and Denathrius were his firstborn, the aesthetic trend matches up. It’d also explain why of all the realm-rulers, Denathrius was the only one to take Zovaal’s side.

EDIT

Regarding the true identity of the Primus; I’m going with none of the above. I don’t think we’ll find out he’s secretly someone else. My money is on the Jailer having taken him out of commision and possibly kidnapped him. As the master strategist of the Eternal Ones, he’d be a big target so the Shadowlands can’t come up with a proper defense against Zovaal’s machinations.

Or maybe he’s the Tarragrue.

4 Likes

What? He has digitigrade legs. All Venthyr have plantigrade legs. Denathrius looks like Nathrezim and Stoneborn. He looks more like Draenei than Venthyr.

3 Likes

He looks like a Dreadlord, which again goes back to the idea that Denathrius wasn’t born of the Venthyr, he was MADE. Made by the Jailer along with the other dreadlords who serve him. He was the first Dreadlord and the Jailer’s heir.

1 Like

Earlier I was pretty convinced the Runecarver was the Primus. The number of fingers just didn’t hold water for me. Blizz has made continuity errors a lot more glaring than the number of digits on a hand.

Seriously I thought maybe the ending of WoD did some serious time warp retcons when either Khadgar or Liadrin said they’d never dreamt of walking on a different world. Because both have been to two versions of Draenor.

But now I’m not so sure. It seemed like he only had 1 of 4 keys he needed, and as they can be extracted without killing am Eternal One- why wouldn’t he have at least 2 out of 4 if he’s had the Primus chained up this whole time?

Unless of course the keys aren’t necessarily inside the Eternals and the Archon hid hers by swallowing it. Presumably she went to the same classes that taught lichs to cunningly hide their phylactery in a back pocket or jar three feet to their left.

2 Likes

Alright, honestly? I don’t think I ever noticed his legs. Fair point.

1 Like

Because the Primus saw this coming and slipped his key into Draka probably

Ergo why the rune blade of the Primus inside the rock of the chosen that talks to us has been there since the founding of Maldraxxus

I would assume that if the RuneCarver really is the Primus, its because the Primus was the only one forward thinking enough to leave a bunch of “If you’re reading this I’m prob already dead. Do X, X, and X!” around. If he was that convinced that this was coming, he probably didn’t have his Key somewhere that would be at risk if he himself were taken out. The bigger question is why the Jailor didn’t get Denathrius’ yet.

3 Likes

Maybe there’s 6 keys: Zovaal, Primus, Arbiter, WQ, Denathrius, Archon

Zovaal has his own, and he had now Denathrius and Archon. Still needs Primus, Arbiter, and WQ.

We’re never actually told what his plans are besides “claiming the final prize, the secret the first ones tried to hide” via Helm/Frostmourne (so we can safely assume it is on Azeroth), and we are never told what these keys do except Kyrestia’s key allows him access to Korthia.

So 6 - 3 = 3 keys left

We’re assuming the keys are for his own prison but, methinks plot twist inc

3 Likes

Wait a tick. Wasn’t Draka called the key to saving Maldraxxus?

6 Likes

Precisely

5 Likes

Thrall has a new step-daddy.

1 Like

She has been in Maldraxxus for like 30+ years. So 
 I see nothing wrong with her finding new love in the afterlife.

1 Like

I was just making a joke about the way he phrased his sentence.

2 Likes

They made a big deal about the Sepulcher of Knowledge and even went to far to say that if the Jailer gets into the Sepulcher then he can break free. So I assume the key to Maldraxxus is there and the Winter Queen said the same thing about the Heart of the Forest, so again I think that’s two places rather than people.

Nah we’re assuming The Sepulcher the Primus mentions = The Sepulcher of Knowledge, but given Kel’thuzad and Vyraz are working with Zovaal, it doesn’t make sense for that to be the case because it would’ve been broken into ages ago

A broker in Oribos also mentions the location of blank and the Opulence tells him to shut up and “not speak of the grand design”.

<—Feels suddenly bad about letting a shifty broker get in there just so she could get the necronominom toy >_>;;

1 Like

It’s a red herring