Someone has hacked my account

I’m not a streamer or an important person that blizzard pays 100% attention to, I’m just an ordinary person who happens to play this game and has a problem, if a problem like this hits them wow they will move quickly like a beard fire and if this problem happens to someone like me they behave “mind your own business and I don’t care about your problem”.

It is a requirement as per the contract (EULA) that you agree to when setting up your Battlenet account. You agree you are a real person, an adult, and that you will use your real information.

Using your real information means that no matter what happens, Blizzard can usually return an account. Even in the worst case scenario, they can ask for Govt issued ID. Then it is only a contested issue if both parties fighting over the account have a copy of it - which some hackers do if they have malware installed that grabs it while you try to recover the account.

The only way Blizzard closes accounts that are hacked, is if there is no way to prove who the actual account holder is.

Using your real info does not keep a hacker out - keeping your PC safe from malware, not falling for phishing scams, not going on shady websites, and not sharing your account info does - and of course secondary authentication. It does get the account back for the account holder though, usually.

Blizzard has fixed the compromises of tens of thousands of accounts over the past 20 years. I can’t think of any that were streamers or “important people”. They were all normal people.

You are responsible for putting the account in a fake name. You are responsible for the fact it got compromised - not Blizzard. You are responsible for not having any secondary authentication on the account (if you did not have it). Blizzard has no obligation to fix it -and most game companies don’t.

You are not helping yourself by acting like Blizzard did something bad to you.

16 Likes

Grow up and stop lying, there is literally a thread in this very forum from this week were an “ordinary person” got their account back. Blizzard is very good at this. I’ve had a game account compromised (old original X-Box account) and I can tell you that they wouldn’t even attempt to help.

The only reason you are having problems with this is because you thought it would be funny to put your name as Spider-Man, that wasn’t something Blizzard did. Then YOU had your information compromised, NOT Blizzard. And no sorry I’m not buying the whole “I used a fake name for security” that is an excuse and using your real name in way compromises an account’s security.

When you open an account with your cable or internet provider did you give them a fake name?

10 Likes

Actually, I’m guessing, in this case, no, they can’t. It seems this other party has a lot of information about the account too. That’s how many compromises happen. We generally hear about compromises getting cleared up fairly quickly around here. I’m sorry that doesn’t seem to be the case here. I think people are just trying to prepare you for what we’ve seen in these situations in the past. The account may very well remain closed. And that blaming Bliz isn’t really fair in this situation, as there’s some personal responsibility to be had here.

6 Likes

I think the point has been made and the message received. Further scolding is probably not productive. OP probably understands the process will take as long as it takes, especially because of the extra complexity caused by the spurious identity information.

Even if they have difficulty restraining their impatience.

I suspect this thread should be closed because there’s nothing more useful to be said.

8 Likes

Speaking from experience of having my account compromised in the past. Ultimately a account compromise is normally the account owners negligence. We visit sites we shouldn’t, we click on links without confirming that they are authentic. We share too much personal information with people we only think we know. As well as many many other things.

5 Likes

I’m really sorry this happened to you. And I’m sorry some people here decided it would be a good idea to wag their finger at you. That certainly isn’t helpful. But other folks have been trying to help you understand why you’re in a tough spot. I had a compromise many, many years ago… long before BNet accounts were even a thing. My account was actually set up with my nickname, not my given name (think Mike vs Michael or Becky vs Rebecca). At the time I didn’t think much of it. But when it came to proving I owned the account, it was tricky, since my ID was technically a different name. But I did have other supporting documents that helped Blizzard accept my identity and restore my account. I got lucky. I hope for the best for you.

#dfmb

In the past, I’ve seen things like CD keys be used. But it’s been a decade since WOW even had a physical release like that, so those don’t exist anymore.

Honestly, that’s not super relevant. If your legal name is Michael, your ID says Michael, but you put “Mike” as your name…that’s completely different from putting Spider-man or Batman.

Even the bank I work for will allow someone to use Mike, Bob, Becky, etc as their name if their ID says Michael, Robert, or Rebecca. Apples and oranges.

4 Likes

No doubt about that. And that’s my point. Even with something at straightforward as a common nickname, I still had to go through additional hoops to verify that I was the actual account holder. With that in mind, a name like Spiderman is going to make it really difficult to make a successful claim.

That’s exactly what I had to dig up as additional verification. That’s how long ago it happened. I actually had to fax them (FAX!) a copy of my drivers license.

Really? What bank is that?

#dfmb

Knowing what fake name the account had been made under could have been helpful, had it not be publicly revealed. Not as helpful as if it was the correct name, but it could have helped.