[solved] ACCESS_VIOLATION WoW Crash since 11.0 - (bluepost attached)

Was getting this crash error and stumbled upon this thread. For me, it was crashing on all characters but only when i tried to go to the east side of Valdrakken (towards the bullion vendors). Tried lots of things mentioned here but none worked, however i seem to have found the culprit.

-Options > Game Tab > System > Graphics
-Scroll all the way to the bottom and there seem to be some newer options here under -‘Compatibility Settings’
-Start unchecking these 1 by 1 until and see if you stop crashing

This has fixed the crashing for me. Hopefully it will help some of you!

**Update: I ended up having to uncheck them all, started getting the same crash again trying to portal into the Emerald Dream.

It’s happening to me when dragonriding in Pandaria in BOTH Remix and in Retail, suddenly I might add. Was in Pandaria yesterday with no issues.

Been getting Access Violation all morning. Pretty sure mine was related to Details addon. I turned parts of it off, and I seem to be stable. Thought it was ElvUI and Warband related, but I don’t think that’s the case.

C7DB84FC-CFD1-4BC9-80E1-BAA86C4E313C - Was fine until I took a flight path to Loam.

EC905668-D912-4B0E-B6D4-CAB78EDEE87D - Logged in, got to the entrance of Zehrek Caverns and crashed

Ok after several attempts to move through and disabling all my addons my character has flown the flight path under the world, got dismounted and I’m instantly disconnected when I log in.

I solved【ACCESS_VIOLATION】 it today. my computer cpu is intel core i9 13900KF, The reason for this error is probably a bug in the 13th generation CPU, My solution is
closed 【intel speedshift】and 【intel speedstep】in bios. 13th generation cpu voltage problem, I heard that 14th generation CPUs also have the same problem.

Happening to me as well. Same setup with no isses for 2 years. Went into BIOS and defaulted everything. Seems to have fixed the issue

Should probably unmark this as solved. Still happening today after the 1 hr maintenance. Playing wow naked, no addons after a driver update, restart and a scan&repair still have the issue under random circumstances. Skyriding seems to be a consistent culprit though.

2 Likes

I did the same as Badvoodoo last night see if it helps.

Options > Game Tab > System > Graphics>Compatibility settings. All the way at the bottom uncheck all

This is not solved, been having this issue since last night. Gonna try disabling compatibility settings in the graphics tab like Loturix suggested.

Oddly specific, but are you using 3D portraits on Shadowed Unit Frames?

Yes, actually, I was. I’ll have to see if turning that off makes Shadowed Unit Frames less crash-prone next time I hop on.

I’ve seemed to have developed this crashing error when I logged in today. It seems to be happening mostly when rendering 3D models like opening Character page, mounting, and/or casting spells/abilities. It was also happening when I was choosing a buff for the superbloom.
I’ve disabled all addons and the issue continue to render my game unplayable. Can’t move a few feet without it crashing on me.

I think I’ve solved the issue, at least for me.

With 11.0 there were new graphics options added to the game that effect compatibility, especially with older cards. I turned them all off and it fixed by client from crashing. I run a 1060 6gb so y’all might wanna check if it fixes it for you.

Options > Graphics > Compatibility settings (scroll ALL the way down to find)
Uncheck them all. If you want, turn them on one at a time to see which one it was. It worked for me and hopefully it’ll work for you.

If you have an intel 13th or 14th gen, this is the most likely culprit for the ACCESS_VIOLATION. I dealt with this for weeks and it was frustrating af. Ended up having to tune down just a little bit the processor using Intel Extreme Tunning Utility and updating a specific intel driver (not BIOS) for the motherboard.

1 Like

I’ve been experiencing this issue since the wednesday patch (07/31/24), I found this post

I7 11700kf
Nvidia RTX 4070

I found this workaround that solved the problem for me, stopped the crashes for about 2 hours of gameplay now, of course this is NOT a solution it’s a workaround

Hey folks!

Having the same issues as well. Tried disabling addons but to no avail. Was able to find this post. So far I tried disabling the CPU multi-threading in Compatibility settings. Will see if any more crashes are happening.

RTX 4080
i9-14900K

Well, it worked for a while using SUF with 3d portraits off, but I had a crash again and then it crashed immediately when logging in after to try and turn it off. Had to disable SUF again.

Trying the render scale 100% thing mentioned in other posts here.

almost 100% certainty this has some thing with not just the current new patch but the updates and hotfix over the past few days. i was having no problems until today and just crash after crash the game is unplayable currently. I’ve been on the internet / forums all over and tried all the fixes that dont require crazy option like messing with bios or cpu clock / voltages.

1 Like

Im on the same boat man, but It started to happened yesterday, every day before that was working fine, its getting really annoying

I am having a similar issue with my client. I haven’t experienced this issue since the new patch was released. Below is the error message that I’m receiving:

> Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION - The instruction at "0x00007ff606b3dfa6" referenced memory at "0x0000000000000228".
> The memory could not be "read".
> ProcessID: 739892
> ThreadID: 742528
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> <Exception.IssueType> Exception
> <ExceptionType> Crash
> <Exception.Summary:>
> ACCESS_VIOLATION - The instruction at "0x00007ff606b3dfa6" referenced memory at "0x0000000000000228".
> The memory could not be "read".
> (DBG-OPTIONS<FunctionsOnly SingleLine> DBG-ADDR<00007ff606b3dfa6>("Wow.exe") <- DBG-ADDR<00007ff606f3a73b>("Wow.exe") <- DBG-ADDR<00007ff60594e83e>("Wow.exe") DBG-OPTIONS<>)
> <:Exception.Summary>
> <Exception.Assertion:>
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff606b3dfa6>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff606f3a73b>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff60594e83e>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff60594eae1>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff60595bf4c>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff606bb92f3>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff606bb9757>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff603a4942b>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff603a830ce>("Wow.exe")
> <:Exception.Assertion>
> <Exception.HashBlock:>
> DBG-OPTIONS<NoImage NoAddress NoFileLine NoFuncOffset NoDbgAddr>
> ERROR #132
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff606b3dfa6>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff606f3a73b>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff60594e83e>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff60594eae1>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff60595bf4c>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-ADDR<00007ff606bb92f3>("Wow.exe")
> DBG-OPTIONS<>

Unfortunately, what is quite strange is that it seems to be only happening on specific characters. I have a priest in Valdrakken that isn’t experiencing the issue but as soon as I log into my Mage which is in Zangarmarsh (Outlands) I immediately crash upon signing in.

After doing some more digging - I found that ElvUI was causing the consistent crashing. Disabling ElvUI has resolved the issue for me. I attempted to reinstall the app but it still crashed the with the latest version (v13.72).

I have solved the issue,
By unselecting the compatability features at the bottom of the graphics menu.

By this thread though it seems mages are greatly affected.