So...about that Netflix advert from on Twitter

Right? Considering the man is never going to finish the series at this point. Yeah, the final season of GoT wasn’t great- but it’s not exactly like they had an actual ending to work with.

It bombed in the US box office and it didn’t break even world wide financially (but it did come close world wide). The reason there wasn’t a sequel had more to do with money than anything else.

How many Chucky movies are there? How many Nightmare on Elm Street/Jason movies? how many Sharknado movies are there?

Those were all terrible movies (with the exceptions of the first Nightmare on Elm and the first Jason movie). Nightmare 2 was so bad they basically rebranded it into comedy territory at the third movie.

There’s no reason why they couldn’t make a Warcraft 2. Put in in the future, have the Thrall and Arthas storylines be the focus (they both take place within the same time period).

Like, I knew walking into the DT movie that it wasn’t going to be the same story, but they tried to cram a 3000+ pages into a 90 minute movie that made absolutely no sense. And it was terrible.

We have a saying in some of the Dark Tower forums, whenever someone mentions the movie: “What Dark Tower movie?”

The resident evil Netflix series says hi. you think you do…

That’s nonsense. The original made zero dollars. In fact, movies don’t break even until they’ve doubled their production costs, at least, so it actually lost big piles of money. It was a dull movie and the public voted with their dollars. It wasn’t some hidden gem that gained a following years after its release. The public is still staying away in droves.

1 Like

And then there’s Arcane. Arcane I enjoyed. I know nothing of that universe, but I loved that show.

My husband doesn’t play WoW, only knows a little bit of the story, but he enjoyed the Warcraft movie.

2 Likes

The movie did fine all things considered.

“The film grossed $47.4 million in the United States and $439 million worldwide based on its considerable success in China, where it grossed $225.5 million, becoming the highest-grossing film based on a video game at the time.” - Wiki

Without sounding gatekeepish, especially for a show I am not a huge fan of, but the lack of background lore knowledge in these cases may add to enjoyment. I thought the percy jackson show was fine but my friend who was deep into it HATED it.

1 Like

You’re actually right. I misremembered.

1 Like

You’re right, it didn’t exactly break even, but AGAIN: the US box office isn’t the only box office:

While Warcraft made a disappointing $47 million domestically, it also grossed $391 in international markets. That means only 10.8% of its box office revenue came from the domestic market, while 89.2% was from international ticket sellers.

https :// movieweb. com/warcraft-movie-successful-sequel/

I still feel there needs to be a sequel. (I can’t do links right now).

In the begenning right after he was born.

Gul’Dan in the movie stole the life force from a deer to bring a newborn Go’el back to life,turning him green

I haven’t seen that one yet Read the books out of curiosity though. Thought they were cute.

I liked the choice of actors and the story was fine for a YA show.

I guess my main point is most video game adaptations tend to fall flat, which I think makes things like Arcane stand out even more. I can pop off on anime adaptations into live action but this isn’t a ted talk lmao.

I just admitted you were correct about the money.

Now I’m a little embarrassed for you.

2 Likes

Literally the easiest “well take a look at this” correction post I have ever made in terms of forum interaction.

I removed those two lines.

2 Likes

They didn’t see my response. It happens.

1 Like

Fair, changed my post to sound less passive aggressive. Things move at a pace for sure.

1 Like

I had an idea for a cool animated series for WoW. I think a series based around the Tyrande because of how involved she has been in the major events of Warcraft history.

If they had Tyrande Whisperwind as the protagonist, they could go all the way back to the war of the ancients, up until Legion (where it should end with the defeat of Sargeras). This is just a personal flare, but I’d even love to see the relationship between her Illidan amped up to give him extra screen-time and hype up his return when he breaks free from his prison.

We’d get to see super iconic stuff like Azshara summoning the legion at the well of eternity, including Broxigar leaping off of a dragon into the giant fel portal.

TBH a show following elves in general would be sweet, their lore is so much better and full than the humans.

I think changing the lore was the least of the problems. It just wasn’t a good movie. The whole aesthetic seemed plastic and fake, the effects were bad even for that time period, the performances were not great. It had little redeeming qualities outside of fan service.

Also, I don’t know if comparing it to the Dark Tower is a good idea. That series got so bad that by the end I never read another book by King again. (and I had read pretty much all of his stuff up to that point.) If I was given that to work with, I’d change a lot too.

If you look at some of these new shows like One Piece on Netflix or Fallout on Prime, you can see you don’t have to be 100% lore accurate to make a well made, good looking, engaging, entertaining show.

If blizzard was going to do another movie or show, their best bet is to act like this movie never existed and start from scratch.

1 Like

Most dont know the early game lore to the details of the books/wiki. Most do not go and read that…they just play wow. Bring up “Anduin Lothar” and most will go “You mean Anduin Wrynn?”.

I’m all for a Netflix series, as long as it doesn’t focus on Arthas or Wrath, that bit is so over done and boring.

There were some changes made in the new movies that I wasn’t overly fond of but in general it was pretty good. I still remember the first time I read those books, way back when I was 12. I binged each book in a night.