So... you're gonna keep rewarding the 1%?

I remember when I first started playing world of Warcraft for real.

I would see people with raid gear and it made me want to do raids and higher-end content so I could look cool and have cool gear.

now people just want it handed to them…

like I’ve been casual for the last two expansions rocking my LFR gear. it’s fine by me I don’t want to be rewarded for things I didn’t do I don’t understand why so many people want participation trophies.

2 Likes

Ok, so how about you recount your own experience instead of saying “But the replies said!” :

How much toxicity did you encounter getting your mount ?

It was all over the slime cat threads.

It does actually. I do a lot of group content in WoW, not just with my raid team, but with pugs. I have had maybe two instances of people in Shadowlands flaming me. The literal hundreds of other experiences have gone on without a hitch. So if the ONLY experiences someone is having in group content are negative ones, it’s probably because they are the problem.

No, it’s not. It’s due to the toxic environment that Blizzard themselves have fostered through their lack of transparency with the player community and their inconsistency on enforcing rules around basic social decency. There are other MMOs out there that invest lots of time and effort on solo-friendly content on top of group content and their communities are not as blatantly toxic as WoW’s.

When you actually step back from WoW and play other games for a while, the difference in atmosphere is easy to see. Me? I took a break from WoW for over 5 years while playing other MMOs. And after spending time in those games, coming back and experiencing the vibe here is just weird.

The dynamic between Blizzard and the player community is hostile, with neither side having much respect for the other. And this feeds into the game itself and how players treat each other. That’s what happens when a gaming company continually lets down its players. People get frustrated and resentful, and social ties can start to break down. It also doesn’t help that Blizz has been notoriously inconsistent with how they handle toxicity in-game. Players run into toxic situations, get no resolution for them, and then just simply start to avoid the activities that the toxicity stemmed from.

Overall, blaming solo players and open world content for WoW’s social issues is just silly and shortsighted. The blame lies with no one but Blizzard themselves.

1 Like

WoW has plenty of it. Shadowlands shipped with a metric ton of it, that even the most hardcore players to this day haven’t finished the 9.0 launch solo content.

That isn’t what my argument is about. Read the rest of the post before replying, dude.

1 Like

That’s your basis to say Blizzard is fostering the toxicity. And it’s wrong. Blizzard’s problem with players is lack of transparency, not the content they end up providing.

Most of their beef with player feedback is based around hardcore playstyle complaints, like the 9.0 Covenant locks, or BfA’s entire Azerite system. Not something most casuals would care about really.

Solo players are given a metric ton of content. How do I know ? I enjoy doing said solo content. If you think your beef with other players is based on your not having that content, you’re wrong. Your beef with other players is envy for what they have, and their apathy towards your demands for giving it to you without you stepping into the content that rewards it.

I will not pretend WoW’s community is remotely perfect, but to pretend that it’s an outlier in the MMO spaces is laughable. Every single MMO community out there has it’s incredibly acidic elements. FFXIV is an MMO that get’s heralded as the shining light on a hill for community behavior. But honestly, it’s more or less a façade.

If you voice the “wrong opinions” about many of these games, people go from happy go lucky, to wanting to tear your eyes out of your skull pretty quickly.

Uh, no? The person I was replying to was trying to argue that Blizzard’s focus on solo content over the last few years is the cause of WoW’s social problems. When you look at other games that have a heavy focus on solo content on top of group content, you can see that their argument is wrong. Again, read the post before replying.

1 Like

A lot and it wasn’t even directed towards me.

Like I said, I was part of those. Most of the complaints centered around unrealistic expectations and not crippling anxiety.

This is a bad conclusion. I seen a lot of toxic behavior getting my slime cat and it was not directed towards me.

I have no idea how killing 31 bosses over the course of 4 1/2 months can be considered unrealistic…

It is though.

Because FF XIV isn’t a toxic cesspool where you can’t even dare suggest you skipped a story quest because you didn’t like it ?

Social cohesion in FF XIV literally only exists if you join their echo chamber.

1 Like

Examples ?

Such as ?

Are you sure you were a part of the slime cat threads? Because this reply makes me think you weren’t participating at all.

The complaints were about unrealistic expectations with experience and gear score to get into these raids.

You can even see this in our real life society. A large reason for social friction in our modern world has come from increasing amounts of social isolation, or the removal of those 3rd spaces like parks, rec centers, or community events. No one talks to their neighbors, no one wants to know anyone else around them save for their 4-8 friends.

And now we all treat each other like dirt.

Because those are old complaints we’ve heard many times. All easily fixed by joining a guild. Or starting a group of your own with your own rules. None of it toxic.

1 Like

The vast majority of normal raids in LFG want 265 gear …

You might see a few groups want higher
And the vast majority of the pug groups I’ve been in hardly anybody talks.

Minus can I get a summons and or we have no lock

1 Like

There were literally hundreds of groups forming to help people get the slime cat for free. These groups literally brought 30 people at a time through each dungeon over the course of the last season. There were quite literally no requirements to join these, aside from being nice.

For the first week every pug I got into resulted in a childish cat fight every time we wiped. I did learn some pretty funny and vile insults from my F CN experience.

For SoD I partnered up with a guild (didn’t join their guild because I wasn’t on the same server.) They invited me to their Discord and I thought they were really cool. They told me, I didn’t ask, they would bring me in for Sylvanas then told me 5 minute before the raid started too bad, so sad they’re bringing guildies instead. I thought going the guild route would have been better because I kept being told pugs are the problem but haha yeah learned my lesson there.

Can confirm. I helped lead one, and the only requirement was really just don’t be a nob, and listen when we explained the fights in discord.