So what the hell is going with Hunters in SL?

Been poking around various youtube channels and streams to try to find anything and there’s only brief mentions of them in “classes that aren’t great right now” generic lists or something like that.

But no extensive videos or debates like what’s going on with Spriests for example.

Seems like the class is just falling in the cracks completely or i’m just missing something?

Which is worrisome to say the least. The class only have one workable spec in PvE right now and its riding off a broken system, and its utterly terrible in PvP in 2
of its 3 specs and only passable in the 3rd (Survival) where it can work if you really put the legwork… but people have very little reasons to pick you over pretty much any other melee. PvP leaderboard and statistics support that.

Half of our talents are dead. Most of our PvP talents are also completely terrible, we have dead abilities like Tar Trap counting in our utility toolkit (why was Entrapment removed as an option? Why isn’t it a PvP talent?).

Why is Camouflage, literally the worst iteration of a stealth ability in the game, a talent?

And like i said, why is nobody in our community speaking up?

Please, please, please if you get into the Beta, specially PvP Hunters, try to give them some feedback.

Edit : Please don’t bother mentioning RSV. I don’t care. I’m perfectly happy with Melee SV as long as its competitive.

1 Like

No feedback?

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-hunter-class-changes/490705

Only one class thread has more posts than the Hunters, and that’s the Druids.

By the way? If you look through all the class threads, you’d see that Hunters is one of the three threads which has had zero blue posts.

This is the same pattern we saw in Legion and BFA alphas and betas.

9 Likes

The harsh fact is our class just isn’t in good hands. Communication with Blizzard is effectively one-way at this point and judging by things like our new datamined legendary effects it seems they truly lack the required understanding to make the necessary changes to the class.

21 Likes

Shame really, as it stands BM is MM with pet buffs, MM is in great shape since it just basically got everything back plus some from the other 2 specs, and SV got… nothing.

Some things I want back: Old gylph of stampede especially since Barrage is being removed from BM/SV, Black arrow made baseline especially since Binding shot is ALSO going MM only, and lastly the ability to tame undead/aberration pets… those three things are the ONLY changes i’d like to see to BM, I’m not too worried about class as much as SPEC, Cause I didn’t choose to be BM so I could be a Marksman hunter…

2 Likes

All of the specs are looking pretty good, thankfully. BM still seems a bit better than MM, which is disappointing, but MM doesn’t appear to be too far behind. SV still seems like it’s god-tier in PvP.

The changes for MM and Surv are bad so far, I don’t think Blizzard cares about hunters honestly.

MM- Hunter’s mark is on the gcd which will make it clunky to use, the class still feels like a terrible mixture of legolas and a sniper. I don’t think its fun to play as a mixture between the two, either double down on one or the other. Lets talk about rapid fire thats something that looks cool but is practically useless and boring to press since it lasts too long.

Survival-Changes to survival are sad, they make me really sad because they boast about how survival is their niche class that they are proud of yet its the 2nd worst spec in the game next to sub rogue. They NEEED to make mongoose bite mandatory, the spec feels terrible without it. I don’t understand why they would make such an essential ability a talent, either that or rework raptor strike because its not cutting it boss. All they did was slap a buff on some talents nobody picks and called it a day, its sad because im one of the few people that enjoy melee survival. They screwed over survival with that 6 second revive pet cast, survivals only use is in pvp and they are getting gimped with that change, we have no way of keep a pet alive if it gets hard focused. I know some of you will say MEND PET, but thats not enough if they are training on your pet, a simple HoT won’t do anything for it. Survival relies so much on a pet that once your pet dies you are practically useless, you won’t get off that 6 second revive in pvp if the enemy is good; what are you going to do? Turtle? You’re going to waste a turtle cd just to revive a pet?

I know some of you don’t care but if the healer has to heal your pets for you, you know damn well they are 100% going to pick other classes than hunter to make sure they don’t have to deal with an extra health bar. This is basically giving people yet another excuse on why you shouldn’t have a survival hunter on your team. Why worry about a pet when a bunch of other classes don’t have one and compete better than survival?

5 Likes

They never stated their reasoning for making Mongoose Bite a talent, but it was most likely because they perceived its added complexity as a barrier for people picking the spec. A big part of their philosophy behind BFA’s SV rework was trying to make SV more appealing by reducing its complexity and increasing its similarity to other Hunter specs.

So if anyone has feedback they would like relayed on the alpha forums that isn’t already mentioned on that thread, I’m happy to repost over there.

Also, for the record:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-lack-of-hunter-class-changes/577268

Believe me, concerns have been noted.

4 Likes

Going by the track record over the last few expansions, that we’re going into beta with no sound or fix to the feedback given so far doesn’t sound very encouraging.

1 Like

its like BFA all over again. enjoy your stable slots.

5 Likes

That mindset makes no sense to me. If you want to make Mongoose Bite easier to digest, you ease up on how the Mongoose Fury mechanic works (allow limited venues to refresh the effect, maybe even make SV less haste-dependent), not make the whole of Mongoose Bite a talent. 0.o

How is it 2nd worst?

Thats just your opinion

Yes. On talents that are cool on paper, but were underperforming thus nobody picked em. Now they might not be underperforming and will no longer be dead talents.

Agreed there, but its not a sv problem. Ir is hunter as a whole problem.

Once again, not just sv problem.

I will! Thanks.

I myself like the changes to sv. I like butchery, so its nice it is getting a buff and honestly I like raptor strike more than mongoose, so maybe it will become competitive now.
The steel trap buff for pvp also sounds nice.

1 Like

By all means, I would like some things in for BM especially.

Posted this in April but since nothing has been done to the class for pretty much all of Alpha, it can’t hurt re-posting it.

Based on: [Shadowlands and Hunter] Thoughts on General changes + Beast Mastery

You can skip the first 2 minor sections in favor of focusing on the latter parts which are about things that I would like to see for BM in general + talents.

Just stick to the headers and you’ll see where the suggestions begin.

1 Like

I really hope blizz doesn’t think you speak for the MSV playerbase…

2 Likes

Whatever you say sweetheart

What’s the odds that we can still see changes to Hunter before release?

At this point? About Negative infinity.

Its not my opinion if you look at every survival hunter build you need mongoose bite lol. Mongoose bite out performs tip of the spear and flanking strike by so much, if you’re playing without mongoose bite you are playing survival wrong. Go to the survival hunter section of the discord server for hunters and ask the many survival hunters there about why mongoose bite is mandatory if you don’t believe me.

If you look at any site that shows stats for the classes survival is the 2nd least played spec in the entire game, that is probably for a reason. If you try to play survival in a mythic raiding scenario you will do less damage than MM and BM hunters. Sub rogues can even beat you in damage and they are gutted this expansion lol.

You say it feels “wrong” without it and when I say it is just your opinion you instantly jump to “oh look at how much it outperforms…” That is your reasoning? I thought we were not talking numbers here? So if after tip buffs in shadowlands mongoose no longer performs best will you instantly swap your tune on how you are playing sv wrong if you don’t take tip?

Right… You forget what spec SV competes against. BM hunter. A ranged character, that has absolutely full mobility, above every single ranged class in the game…

Also just because it is unpopular does not mean it is bad…

And btw. A ranged class will always be easier to play than melee (in pve)

Who knows… I know that in my guild I was top dps most of the time in single target and never at the very bottom. If sv was as bad as you say, I would constantly be at the bottom…

Next time before replying maybe read what you yourself said?

You are just straw manning what I typed, not really a point to debating with you if you’re just going to ignore the other half of my statements.