So... DBM crew is done

Stop it, mister. The truth doesn’t fit the negative nancy narrative.

1 Like

Yeah the game is pretty dead right now. Game is terribly unbalanced and Hunters are in a real bad state right now

all i see is, it won’t be able to be a full time job’s worth of income to sustain the addon. that doesn’t mean it won’t be worth maintaining on a part time level of income. might have to get a “real” job and only accept it as a side income.

(real job is in quotes as thats what people tend to say. but any job or activity that provides you good income is a real job. youtube is as real of a job as stocking shelves or dealing with customers if it pays the bills.)

i like the dbm pull timer as that is useful even in a casual sense. idk how reliant “we” or i am on it in other content because its always been on for the past few expansions.

i dont need DMB or bigwigs though i do use bigwigs for timers. keeping track of timers by hand is a pain in m yass and i dont like doing it while im trying to focuse on mechanics and dodging as a caster

In truth DBM is an extremely helpful tool that can be used to aid with learning a fight initially, and then as you prog or re-clear it, the timers become second hand. I barely use DBM now in terms of actually looking at the timers and so forth, given I have all the timers down so far internally, and will occasionally glance at them to gauge when an ability is coming out.

Now in truth blizzard designs and makes bosses and fights with bigwigs and DBM in mind, along with WA’s. Which if we wanna talk about something that really plays the game for you, then WA’s are in truth the one thing that does. They literally tell you where to stand and so forth, yet its all part of the design at this point when it comes to mythic level raid bosses. Granted you can for sure do bosses without WA’s, yet it would be a heck of a lot harder to do. When you have a ton of other things to juggle, and on a fight like fate scribe you have to be definitive in your actions and where you go to ensure the runes are done correctly.

So really all DBM and big wigs does is provide timers, and give out information as the fight progresses, that only aids in learning fights and keeping track of timers. There’s rhyme and reason why the top end players use and put up with them. As their extrwmly helpful tools, and in some cases necessary to ensure your putting out the max amount of dps and healing that you can. Along with I know the baseline UI doesn’t have a timer built in that gives you how long the fight has been going on. Which is another pretty much mandatory thing to have to reference when something big is about to go off.

I’m sad to see DBM go, I do not blame them, although their post was a bit cash grabby, but I guess I’ll make the transition to big wigs, seeing as its going to be better supported.

1 Like

they’re not going anywhere

1 Like

Er I guess I should of said not be as well supported, I am not surprised though given most top end guilds use wigs now.

Oh so you won’t be able to cheat any more and actually have to be good at raiding? wow!

Hahaha you’re spare parts. Nice try tho

4% is 4 gear upgrades

You’re spare parts

BigWigs is far more lightweight.
BigWigs is mostly for timers and things without the obnoxious handholding of DBM.
BigWigs is far better maintained for an addon.
BigWigs doesn’t disable itself because your version is out of date because the addon updates itself every half day for the dumbest of changes.

DBM is what a lot of beginning raiders use because it kind of instructs you as to what you need to be doing and this is a benefit and a detriment. It’s a benefit in that there’s less likelihood of the player not leaving the raid with an aoe debuff, but it also creates a hefty reliance for a lot of players (as will any addon in all honesty) that when DBM isn’t working for a day or it isn’t up to date they just completely have zero idea what they are doing. Kind of like they don’t actually learn the fight, they just learn to do what DBM tells them.

There’s been a few addons that have had this kind of effect. Back in I think MoP there was an addon called Claw for druids which basically had a bar that told you what your rotation was. You didn’t need to learn the rotation, you just had to hit whatever icon Claw was saying was the next move you should do. So instead of using it as a stepping stone and seeing what players should be doing then eventually outgrowing the handholding, players instead just grew to rely on it.

The problem with that being rotations were treated like Patchwerk fights. So players would end up gimping themselves because if a fight didn’t give them maximum uptime, or had intermission phases they wouldn’t be effectively doing things. I.E they are setting up for a burst because the addon says to, but there isn’t enough time for their burst window so they don’t know to pop the window earlier and just get that damage increase and instead try to shoot for the ideal burst window but get maybe 5 seconds of it and waste their CDs.

1 Like

I use DBM voice commands to help assist with limited eyesight. So I’m glad it’ll still be around despite all the struggles.

All I seen was “Blizzard sucks but making this mod keeps me from needing a real job so I’m gonna keep milking this cow regardless of how I may virtue signal.”

Paraphrasing, of course.

Or… maybe it’s the worsening economy resulting in inflation and less disposable income, meaning people don’t have an awful lot of extra money lying around to spend on trivial things like video game add-ons.

But sure, Blizzard bad, WoW sucks. It’s the ultimate answer to every issue discussed in GD.

If it was good they get money. No good, no money.

Not hard to reason.

Dude, no…

We just went through two years of pandemic, with multiple countries going into hard lockdown, millions of people losing their jobs or quitting them due to the fact that they refuse to be exploited.

Not to mention living conditions change all the time. I’ve had to cancel multiple Twitch and Patreon subscriptions because I simply can’t justify the expense due to my living conditions changing.

There are many reasons why people can’t donate to someone making an addon for WoW. Use your brain.

1 Like

I mean, while that is pretty sound, you really can’t presume an answer on either side because it is what you want to hear. Especially since there are a metric ton of possibilities here. It seems easy to blame it on the economy but that kind of falls apart when you realize patreons for even dumber things are still doing fairly well despite a buckling economy. I imagine a lot of “adult art” patreon accounts are doing just as well if not better than they were pre-pandemic and they’re offering something which is literally free with a google search so simple that pre-teens know the words to use for it.

While the economy might be a factor in this, it can be a factor in multiple regards. WoW being bad/taking forever to develop content these days, on top of a bad economy makes it harder for people to justify a payment towards WoW on a monthly basis. Especially since 9.1 took 7 months to get onto the game and brought not that much, people held on hope that 9.1.5 was going to make it better and for a patch that took another 3-4 months added basically nothing to the game, that made the decision for some people that much easier, on top of the numerous scandals that seem to just pile up. Therefore anything WoW associated is going to be cut by extension for most people. It isn’t any secret that WoW isn’t doing so well financially these days. The earnings call on I think what, page 48 made that quite clear where it very plainly said a lot of the additional revenue from D2R was offset by lower revenue from World of Warcraft.

End of the day, it’s a mixture of a bunch of things. People aren’t playing WoW, the economy is bad, and a lot more people are gravitating towards BigWigs over DBM because it’s a superior addon without being the brand name addon for boss mods. All of these things are impacting it to some degree.

However the sheer level of cope to find it easier to believe that it’s more likely people aren’t donating to a patreon to fund an addon’s development due to a bad economy over people just not playing a game which has very visibly and been all but confirmed to be declining substantially is pretty amusing.

I half expect unfortunately that a lot of the diehard WoW shills might actually default to blaming the economy for why WoW died and deflect all blame from the incompetent development team running the game into the dirt because it’s been more of a game for themselves than a game for the players for the last 6 years or so. WoW’s downfall is going to be such a big footnote in history that I have no doubt it’ll be used as an example with project management, as well as marketing among many other trades that can learn from it in their education. Just as most business classes beat the whole “New Coke vs Old Coke” error into your head going through the classes as a means of explaining to never change a winning formula publicly.

Sounds like more excuses for bad game.

I once went almost 2 years (a full expac) without updating DBM. It wasn’t just that I forgot, it’s that DBM actually does SO LITTLE that people dramatically overestimate what it does.

DBM makes announcements, there are some timers… very little things, in the grand scheme of what it takes to Raid.

If you need DBM to tell you to move out of bad, DBM isn’t the problem.

If you need DBM to stack on a “crushing blow” type attack, DBM isn’t the problem.

There are TONS of abilities that DBM might announce, but doesn’t tell you what to do, how it affects you, how to counter, etc … it just tells you it’s HAPPENING.

If you think DBM is “game-breaking” because of that, that’s a weak assertion.

I would describe myself as a hardcore-casual who dabbles in Mythic. I feel I do enough content at all levels to have a valid opinion. And from what I see, DBM is JUUUUUST this side of useless/ it’s helpful “just enough.”

If you really want to point fingers at something that MIGHT be more truly game-breaking, it would be Weak Auras, not DBM. When is the last time you saw a RWF-type player talk about a DBM announce? Never. But I damn sure bet they’ll have links to their WA in their streams, etc.

But even with WA being orders of magnitude more powerful than DBM, the issue is the ACTUAL CHALLENGE in high-end content is 90% overcoming the POOR INTERFACE OF THIS GAME… and not a real, inherent challenge of any particular fight. Look at any review of SD and what is most often cited as the difficulty of that dungeon? The narrow hallways and simply being able to SEE WTF IS GOING ON.

It’s not the mods and addons-- it’s THIS GAME and its POOR DESIGN. We are using these addons to overcome POOR DESIGN.

Don’t blame the addons for that. This is 90% or more on the developers.

1 Like