So... DBM crew is done

It’s amazing that’s still even up.

Honestly, in my perspective the less add ons this game has the better. I’ve hated using dbm, but these days it’s required to use it especially if you’re in a guild that raids. And I think a lot of encounters are made around the fact that people use DBM. I think if bigwigs and dbm disappeared, they can make much more interesting encounters.

All DBM does is give information. You still have to pay attention to it and react. It doesn’t play the game for you or make the game trivial in any way. You’d know that if you actually used it.

4 Likes

For me something that makes a lot of noise puts up huge warnings on your screen I find very annoying and makes the game harder to play. Which is why I don’t use them. The game offers everything you need to kill bosses.

Debuffs are shown in the upper right corner of your screen. Bosses are very scripted to see weather or not you have a debuff all you have to do is look at y our debuff icons.

Bosses are very scripted and it is very easy to learn the timings when debuffs come out.

For example that boss fatescribe people were like OMG you need to use DBM and weak auras to tell you when you get the debuff to do rings. But for me I find both of those things annoying when the game literally has tells to alert you to look for a debuff on you, the rings spinning, boss going immune and moving to the center. Do you really need an addon to scream at you to go do ring? I don’t for sure I just look at my debuffs during the scripted parts of the fight when it matters.

Obviously I pay more attention than people who need to use this stuff.

1 Like

Not quite, the point is not to tell people they have the debuff, but to insta-assign people to each ring so that things can get going - which is important on Mythic when all the rings need to be moved at the same pace because of the cutter beams.

5000 years after I have turned to dust DBM will still have another update!

The creator of DBM is living off of his Patreon as his paycheck and he’s lost about 300 subscribers since the start of the year so he’s panicing and trying to drum up people to subscribe. He’s doing the same thing that streamers do which is just bash the game that gives them their paycheck. He makes between $3-9k a month.

I switched to BW due to the amount of issues DBM had during CN including DCing our entire raid multiple times.

You mean like Molten Core? LOL

1 Like

Pretty sure this is misinformation considering he already said DBM will continue on. With that aside Big Wigs has been WAAAY more consistent and not as buggy this entire expansion.

1 Like

The state of add-on maintenance among the many independent developers out there has been a problem a long time coming for the Blizzard UI team.

They’ve long been leaning on the efforts of the most popular add-on developers for what many players consider core functionality. For example: DBM’s notifications, timers, and auto-responders, or Weak Auras’ many custom notifications, or the basic ability to customize UI elements like moving bars and frames, or customizing cast bars.

Now, I’m not expecting the Blizzard developers or the default UI to do everything, as that really is what add-ons are for. However, I can bet you that the vast majority of even Blizzard’s own developers who play use either DBM, BigWigs, WA, maybe Quartz, Details, and probably ElvUI.

This is a problem. These add-ons are great, but they are maintained outside the control of Blizzard, and what happens when those developers cannot maintain the add-on any more? Sure, someone else might pick it up, but as players why should we need to depend on that?

Bottom line is that whenever I hear about maintenance woes with a very popular add-on, I think that Blizzard needs take some of this responsibility and keep their own base UI updated to match players’ common expectations:

• Better boss alerts and notifications (they have vastly improved this recently)

• Keep HUD notifications current with how class abilities are being used

• Allow some degree of customization, such as moving bars and other frames

• Do something about the player cast bar, please (longstanding gripe of mine)

As tempted as I am to include meter functionality in this list, I think that meters are a great example of perfect criteria for staying in add-on territory. You don’t need them to play better, but they do help awareness. They don’t replace any existing functionality, they simply add something wholly missing from the game. Whereas add-ons like Quartz, DBM, and EvlUI, augment or replace elements that clearly need updating. I think the UI team should focus on updates to those areas.

1 Like

To be fair to the DBM guys, it’s hard to make an addon that’s not buggy when the entire expansion it’s based on has had more bugs than a truck stop bathroom.

1 Like

OR any bathroom open to the public.

why would anybody even ask if you have dbm installed unless you’re dying to really obvious avoidable stuff?

Odd for a mod that is “done”, it was just updated 5 hours ago…

1 Like

A better question is why anyone is asking at all when ‘/dbm version’ does that for you and gets an actual answer?

1 Like

an even better question: how many people in lfr know or care to do that?

1 Like

Does this mean DBM wont tell me it’s out of date every other time I log in?

I thought they were done like three other times before

They asked the entire party and I chose to remain quiet then while I wasn’t dying to obvious stuff I got singled out and they started demanding I tell them or be kicked. Honestly should of just let them kick because that run got toxic real fast and they blamed me for the healers not doing their job and healing the tanks for whatever reason when I’m a dang damage dealer

Good. I hate all addons.