So... About Sylvanas

What are you talking about? Sylvanas was ruthless yes but pre Bfa it had a purpose. It was all for the sake of victory against an enemy who would win because of superior power and numbers. Now Sylvanas is gonna turned into yet another Baine who despises her past when she should instead be proud of what her Forsaken had accomplished through her military genius. Bad Sylvanas is good. Redeemd Sylvanas is bad.

Someone’s conveniently ignoring the whole thing since Vanilla of “make a plague to destroy the Scourge, then use said plague against the Alliance, then use it against the Horde once they’re no longer needed to hold back the Scourge and Alliance.”

You’re awfully eager for the Horde to keep the one leader who was ultimately always invested in bringing about its eventual destruction once it was no longer useful to her. You might not like how characters like Baine or Thrall think the Horde should be, but Sylvanas has always been a deliberate traitor-in-waiting with the express intent of eventually liquidating the Horde as soon as she was done with it.

3 Likes

I’ve argued with Deathisfinal about this very point before, and I am very happy that I was wrong.

While I am team evil 3rd-faction led by the Banshee Queen, it is obvious that Blizzard was never going that route and this is the next best thing.

Time for the Ranger General to return to lead the Forsaken, a compromise somewhere between the Banshee Queen and Calia.

Some people don’t seem to understand that a lot of people like Sylvanas as a character and that the BfA Sylvanas was the aberration.

6 Likes

Sylvanas didn’t do the wrathgate. That was just a jerk from Alex Afrasiabi. He is gone so any lore from him is no longer canon.

Pre Bfa Sylvanas cared about the Horde. She tried to give the Forsaken Val’kyr power to make them immortal. That was good.

They are two faced traitors who want to appease their alliance masters. Nothing about them is good. They will drop the Horde at the first chance so that they can send parts of their bodies per mail to Anduin and Jaina.

2 Likes

Not for a really, really, really long time.

Irrespective of how deeply, sincerely, contritely sorry a hypothetical redeemed Adolf might be, he explicitly and specifically doesn’t get to be Chancellor of Germany again.

Plugging a more morally balance, but still highly traumatized and damaged Sylvanas back into a position of leadership over the Forsaken would be patently moronic.

11 Likes

Sylvanas is undead. Where else but the Horde should she go? The Alliance wants her dead. And she serves no purpose in the Shadowlands since she tried to help the guy who tried to destroy the whole system. The Horde is the last resort where she can find refuge without being executed on the spot.

Yeah…returning to live among the Forsaken doesn’t mean being put right back in charge of them. There’s no issue with her returning to the Forsaken. Deciding it’s perfectly rational and kosher to just make her their queen again would be extremely dumb.

The horde leadership made it kinda clear they dont want her either. She literally called them nothing, including the forsaken, and then team rocketed away.

No, it is best they fridge her in the shadowlands. Likely in Bastion or Revendreth.

3 Likes

They didn’t give her a new model to fridge her. They could have kept her in her skivvies if that was the intention.

1 Like

She founded the Forsaken. She made them strong. Calia is just an Abuser who tries to use her pre undead privilige as Princess of Lordaeron to claim a throne that does NOT belong to her.

If they wanted to send her to any realm of the Shadowlands they wouldn’t have given her a new model. She is meant to return to Azeroth now we just need to find out where exactly she is supposed to stay.

They gave varian a new model when they dusted him.

1 Like

I mean they gave Zovaal a new model for this patch, and Uther has had what… three?

All this shows is the art team has been very busy.

1 Like

Im conflicted. Which I think is the best possible out come from this?

To start, I love how its Uther and Bolvar who goes “No, we need to do something.” Not because they said something must be done, but the rest refused. So stubborn they say “No, we’ll die before we try and save her.” Which is a good touch. Uther has no connection to her outside of WC3, and Bolvar kinda has a birds eye view to it all compared to the rest being the Lich King. Im also unsurprised it is the two paladins looking to help, again a nice touch.

That Uther “Well met” line. Nice little Easter Egg that made me smirk.

That parallel from Silvermoon to Teldrassil was also great. That transition was gold. Especially with coming to the realization from RG Sylvanas that Banshee Queen Sylvanas is her. It gives some Arthas parallels too.

Most of all, I find Uther a personification of Blizzard at this moment. “We cannot change the past, and we may never find forgiveness in the future, but inaction damns us all.” Especially as we see a lot of our topics and writings here, we can’t really change the past. We can’t change BFA, we can’t change Shadowlands, and its likely that many of us will not and cannot forgive Blizzard for the narrative garbage they spewed (in addition to the on going RL issues at Blizzard) but doing nothing doesn’t solve the issues. Doing X instead of Y might be the wrong choice, but at least it was a choice that was made and tried.

11 Likes

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I think they realized that Teldrassil was a huge failure and they needed to make at least part of it right. We can argue on we came to be at this point but it does feel like closing of a chapter on a toxic past.

I’ve argued with many people (in this thread) over the years that Sylvanas was not going to be killed off or left behind.

So far…

The idea that they went through all of this trouble telling Sylvanas’s story for so long just to leave her in Revendreath or have Tyrande cut her head off at the last second is ridiculous and it always has been.

1 Like

I don’t think she was. Silvermoon left the Alliance after WC2 and she stuck with Silvermoon, while her sister Vereesa stayed in Dalaran, I think, and stuck with the Alliance.

1 Like

The last chapter of 9.2 is called Judgement, and she is saying she is unforgivable and deserves to pay for what her other half did. And there is a half completed judgement scene on top of Oribos for her.

…so I kinda think the writing is on the wall for Sylvanas.

2 Likes

i think we all can agree that Teldrassil was purely done for shock value and blizzard then realized albeit too late that you can’t pull a mad daenerys then easily undo it or forget about it.

14 Likes

it didn’t work for GoT and it doesn’t work for WoW, there’s a point that you should never cross as a writer and that’s to betray your viewers/fans.

No one even talks about GoT anymore that’s how bad the 8th season was.

10 Likes

Maybe. But have you met the main cast of Warcraft? They aren’t going to kill her or condemn her. And Anduin is standing right there. Good goody boy Anduin.

You have to make peace with the inevitable. Same for all the anti-Sylvanas types here on the story forums.

1 Like