Sl rets aren't that good

Thats actually really good to hear, since thats something I would consider pretty minor overall.

I personally dont have a very strong opinion about ret aura, what about it seems like bad game design to you? Is it more of an RP thing, or do you not like how it affects logs, and parsing overall?

What would you like to see in its place? maybe a damage buff for healing someone under 10% hp or something to that effect?

It rewards you damage for someone dieing. It ties in to more rng similiar to vision and just bad design. It can help skew your damage massively. Making it harder to separate yourself from someone making mistakes for example. Skill based game design is better then rng. It was really bad in legion

2 Likes

yea in principle I agree with you. Skill based game design does feel inherently better, I guess since the massive swings the borrowed power systems bring on a fight to fight basis make rankings nearly meaningless I dont have much fire for removing ret aura.

I would probably remove it if I could out of principle, but its not really something im that concerned about to be honest.

Soulbinds are locked behind specific covenants but conduits are not. So it is in all covenants.

Its far more than you were doing for your team when blessing of the kings is only on you.

?? They have an aoe stun which is nothing special, no baseline interrupt, and maybe fear/mortal coil if you don’t count the fact that will almost always aggro mobs.

The fact that you think warlocks are good in dungeons is laughable.

that was good until you had to drop some callout/insult to others.

you basically lost all your opinion there.

where was the insult?

1 Like

You’re aware of the callout, so I don’t really need to explain it.

Really hope they decide to do something about ret aura. No one has really liked it since its inception, and here we are two expacs later with an aura iteration of it instead of a passive. Awful and needs to go 100%.

As far as Vision, yeah it’s really annoying when you get 0 procs and how your dps is based around it. But if you get a million procs, like you said it’s just insane damage. It’s for the best it’s gone.

3 Likes

What are you even whining about?

I’ve looked over everything I could find regarding the Ret Paladin changes and honestly I like a lot of what I see, if for no other reason than there being more variety in what I can do on average.

Flash of Light has always been an annoying ability to me because of the high mana cost, especially during those fights where you almost rely on it as well as Lay on Hands and your defensive abilities to stay in it. Having Word of Glory baseline is really nice to have and will help out in those situations immensely.

People seem hung up on Auras, but I like them a lot. Yes, even Retribution Aura. Having Crusader Aura instead of the flat, constant passive I find to be better because of the fact that you won’t always have it up, but when you do, it can and will benefit more than just yourself. I see it being used mostly for questing and doing things like PvP. People here have mentioned the idea that Divine Steed will be worse as a side effect of not having Crusader Aura up, but I personally don’t see it.

Retribution Aura is the huge elephant in the room due to its apparent history and how it appears to function in SL. This might just be me, but I enjoy having things that aren’t just flat percentage increases. Retribution, the passive we have now, is boring to me because of that. I legitimately forgot it existed because of how genuinely boring it is. Retribution Aura on the other hand will activate a short span of Avenging Wrath when an ally dies, and it will require one to consciously activate it for a fight or even a full raid. In short, I like it.

Devotion Aura is something I don’t think I need to speak all that much about. It’s a 3% damage reduction for you and those who stay within 40 yards of you. Is it boring? Ehh, kind of. Like I said I find flat percentage increases boring, but in this instance because of how you have to consciously choose it over another Aura, I think it works. I can see specific playstyles being born because of Auras too. Like, are you the kind of Ret Paladin who uses Devo Aura during raids to help your group stay alive longer? Or are you the kind of Ret Paladin that uses Ret Aura, gaining a burst of Avenging Wrath at the expensive of an ally’s life? Will you prioritize helping your group stay alive, or let them die for your own benefit? I’m eager to see what people will choose to do.

There’s a lot more I could talk about with Ret Paladin and why I like what I’m seeing of it in SL so far, but I feel like I’ve already established my stance on it. I am expecting people to disagree with me, but frankly I don’t think it’s going to be bad at all.

2 Likes

Outside of maybe a random bg where people die all time, when would it ever makes sense to run ret aura? 8 seconds of AW at the cost of a party/raid member who could exceed that AW damage boost if they lived 3 seconds longer?

3 Likes

I think we all know that guy that dies every time they get a mechanic to deal with. Good time for ret aura.

2 Likes

I mean first off this is just false. In the 12 second window your probly doing the most damage in the group. Again let me reinterate as I’m sure you dont understand. I’m not talking about overall damage. I’m talking about those specific 12 seconds you have the buff. Which is relavant especially on progression. No player is intentioally dieing for you. But players make mistakes and die on progression and on farm. The damage of the aura in raid and dungeons is significant. Especially with the legendary that hammer of wrath extends wings by 2 seconds. Making it so someones death can give you 30 second wings. Now this isnt good game design but your just wrong with your comments about ret damage. On bfa the window in your retribution aura unless someone else is popping cds their. Your most likely going to be doing the most damage in that short window of time. Your comments imply rets do 0 damage which is just untrue.

Sorry if the truth is insulting to you.

All the time. Honestly, it makes for some hilarious outbursts in discord. Especially when someone who normally parses higher eats some humble pie when I thank them for the Retribution buff and rocket passed them.

This kind of stuff is exactly why I like Ret Aura coming back. No matter what group you’re playing with, someone is going to die at some point, why not get yourself some free wings for a bit to compensate? If it’s such a huge problem that people can benefit from that, then just use Devo Aura to provide that damage reduction to the group.

This is my only problem with it. It’s a very selfish aura to run. It provides no tangible benefit to anyone but yourself so it’ll require micromanagement to switch when needed or when you ‘feel’ someone is gonna die.

Because its unhealthy design in general. Majority doesn’t want inconsistent damage from pull to pull for their class. Noone wants to go from 100k one pull to 80k the next. Because 3 people died when your wings is down. It’s not fun gameplay And it skews parses for groups who have consistent deaths. From a competitive standpoint its a terrible mechanic. If someone is worse at pressing buttons properly. They should do lower damage. But this just isnt the case in current wow. Thats why ret aura is bad for the game.

1 Like

The Retribution passive we already have is also inherently selfish because it gives you increased damage and damage reduction for having teammates die. The biggest difference is that instead of consciously making a choice to activate it, it’s just there and it just happens. Ret Aura to me is more enjoyable because of the fact that it has to be a conscious decision. You actively have to recognize that you want to be selfish and get a damage boost instead of it just happening seemingly at random.

It is an Aura that will differentiate Ret Paladin players I think. Do you want to use Ret Aura and be a more selfish player, focusing on personal damage? Or do you want to use Devo Aura and be more of a team player who provides damage reduction for all who remain nearby?

I think the only way it’ll differentiate Rets is good from bad. Good ones will run Devo and will switch when they think someone is gonna die and switch back. You do content enough, you run the same Mythic modifiers and run the same dungeons/raids with the same crowd, you kinda know when things are gonna happen.

I’d rather it be moved back to a passive or removed, bring back Sanctity Aura or something.

1 Like