Sl rets aren't that good

I personally think that ret paladins aren’t very good in sl, they don’t have vision which was the only thing that made them ok in bfa. They made ret even more of a wheelchair spec by nerfing their divine speed which sucked regardless. In return we didn’t really get anything, we got talents that we took in bfa regardless so the spec is basically gonna play the exact same but they have less mobility, damage (without vision), lost some utility (greater blessings), the only way I think rets will be good is if they have the blessing of seasons which is completely broken, and if the legionaries are op which they seem to be. But once they nerf the blessing of seasons, rets will probably be terrible/mediocre.

25 Likes

Unfortunately it seems like they are bent on finishing class design in covenants and legendaries, so we’ll have to see what ret is going to look in the end with all these unlocked. Legion ret looked terrible at launch, but became a little better with the artifact unlocked.

2 Likes

Sad that this is how it is gonna be, classes shouldn’t be balanced on borrowed power/legendary items…

49 Likes

totally agree, whoever think of the design is extremely stupid; instead of doing all these borrow power every god dam expansion they could just give use a 2nd talent tree similar to how things are in swtor where they have something like we have now and a 2nd tree that buff things similar to how our artifact weapons did things but for wow maybe instead of a linear path we get choices and a set amount of points.

for some god dam reason they think an mmo is a moba, and trying to design the game like 1 now that they failed to turn wow into Diablo.

6 Likes

The class design changes too much with each expansion instead of building off of what works and tweaking what is weak. Having our Artifact Ability made into a talent was telling of the direction they went in SL with the Azerite Talents. It does not look good to fix a class design problem by implementing a failed system as part of our talent build. The opportunity was missed with the level and stat squish to make the classes play more sensible. I expect paladin to play poorly until all the covenant soul binds are unlocked and patched sometime into the first raid.

12 Likes

You mean divine steed? How was it nerfed? I thought it was made to initially have a 1 min CD but then it goes back to 45 sec at a certain level. Is that not right?

The passive that increases mount speed, which also affected Divine Steed is being removed in Shadowlands and replaced with Crusader Aura. Effectively nerfing Divine Steed if you don’t put up Crusader Aura first, and we all know that Auras will never be off the GCD.

10 Likes

yeah my bad on that one.

Stop being selfish. Before you had your personal 20% increased mount speed you had crusader aura that benefited the group you were in.

1 Like

I knew this would happen the second I saw it. I never wasted time reading its many iteration changes as they struggle to force this obviously poorly-thought-out ability onto the class that just doesn’t need anything so fiddly and mediocre. I say mediocre because there’s absolutely 0 chance it will be strong because it will be mandatory and Blizzard is very much against ‘mandatory class choices’ when that choice is a paladin, especially Ret. Holy and Prot might get to slide by from time to time at the top of the meta or at least in it but Ret never will. If Rextroy was Ret, you’d better believe every single thing he did would be canned immediately even faster than his clever shenanigans usually do.

No, there’s no way this will last. It is eating up every single bit of ‘Ret development time’ which is a farce at the best of times so I hope you guys are ready for a weaker version of Ret now with only burst that isn’t that amazing anymore and lots of filler spells. Hell they even made auras come back which would be cool, if boring, but they’re just boring passives you already had but now you have to activate them and they make you weaker AND more awkward to play- the Ret dream. That’s our development for Shadowlands. That’s it. Weaker versions of what you already had that are also more awkward to use. Is switching to Ret Aura when you think a dude is gonna die skilled play? I mean I guess? If you want to really stretch and grasp hard enough to justify this silliness. It’s basically just the Avenger buff we have now but worse and I don’t think anyone is in love with that passive to begin with. Add to that Crusader Aura which is just…oh boy, I sure do love using globals to change my aura, Freedoming and THEN popping my horse in PVP or just being slower than I am now for reasons. What great design, I am so glad they didn’t change any of this but instead spend every single update trying to make Blessing of Seasons weaker and yet have more work involved to do its inevitably weak impact.

Seasons is never going to be strong. It’s always going to end up painfully weak. It will have no impact, it will not be mandatory. It will probably be scrapped, making all of this work even more empty and pointless. There was so much that could have been done to fix Ret but instead they wanted to implement this awkward and weak thing that requires multiple button pushes for weak buffs that are never going to be allowed to be good. You all know that, right? Surely you do. It’s Ret. Do you think they’d do something cool with the other Covenant stuff at least? Seeing as how it’s our borrowed power shenanigans this time around and it’s going to matter? Haha of course not, the big stupid DND is on a billion year cooldown but people will probably take that Covenant for the mobility thing anyway. Kyrian one is at the very least serviceable for Holy paladins and sometimes amazing, sometimes dull for Prot, but it’s always boring and sometimes weak for Ret. Does that get love? Of course not, even though Kyrian is peak paladin aesthetic.

TL;DR - all of Ret’s development time is tied to Blessing of Seasons, a fiddly ability that will forever be nerfed into mediocrity so it isn’t mandatory for groups to have one, even if the others suck enough that it’s the highest Ret one somehow (but even that is unlikely)

6 Likes

A pointless Aura that does bugger all thats of any use in combat. At least the passive was useful in combat buffing Divine Steed. Which is way more important than the triviality of increasing mounted movement speed of your party.

7 Likes

Divine steed does nothing to help your group

Pallies need seals and buffs back. Particularly seal of command.

1 Like

good try troll

8 Likes

The only troll here is you who cant handle different opinions from yourself
Grow up.

Newsflash, people like different things about the paladin.

4 Likes

Actually Divine Steed does, because it allows me to get out of or away from boss/mob mechanics and to get back on target quicker. Which means I’m able to keep myself alive and doing DPS, helping the group down content. Crusader Aura does nothing to help anyone during a fight.

Well being Trash isn’t one of them

11 Likes

I’m sorry but until steed is on a sub 35sec cd at most AND ignores movement impairing effects like EVERY OTHER movement spell in the entire game does, it’s a trash spell. Someone above said rets gonna be BFA’s enhancement, and they are 100% right. Theres just far too much wrong with this spec on the beta right now, and chances are it will go live the way it is.

9 Likes

People who use ad hominem attacks have no argument.

1 Like

reported for harassment

Not an argument.

5 Likes