Skirting Overwolf

That policy was made to prevent negative user experiences through excessive advertising that interfered with playing the game. What do you think is happening now with the amount of complaints about Overwolf’s attempt at monopoly and previous history of poor conduct (including the overlay)? The wording not being broad enough should be motivation enough for Blizzard to intervene, because I doubt they foresaw this being a problem back in 2009 when the policy was written.

1 Like

They can’t it’s as simple as that. They aren’t charging for addons.

No, the policy says the addon can not have ads built into it.

There is nothing in their policy about the updater or web site having ads on it.

1 Like

Blizzard can change their TOS whenever they want however they want. They’ve got universal control over how people engage with their game and code that gets used in the game. You really think that after all of the addons they’ve killed over the years that they can’t do it again after a TOS change?

You need to read the full paragraph instead of cherry picking. If Blizzard is fundamentally opposed to ads crapping up the experience of using addons, then why wouldn’t that experience extend to the third parties looking to do that now? As written, I doubt this situation was contemplated back in 2009.

skirt skirt :man_dancing:

Here let me make it easy for you. Just point out what paragraph you see covers this.

See the problem here is you are seeing what you think they meant and not what they said. There is a difference and in this case as much as you may wish otherwise, you are incorrect.

1 Like

Overwolf ate my skirt.

1 Like

You can argue all you want but it’s pointless. There have always been ads on addon download sites and addon managers and there always will be unless you use an adblocker or pay for an ad free sub. :no_good_woman:

I always enjoy your comments in these threads have some cake.

1 Like

Oh I see, the problem is that you don’t understand why this policy was made in the first place, nor do you understand why Blizzard may have just become a lot more interested in updating and enforcing those policies when their game relies on people using those addons.

No bother explaining it to him.

Yeah, they totally made a policy all about something they never even mentioned once in the entire policy. I mean that makes total sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

At this point he has to be trolling. :rofl:

You really can’t read can you?

except hes a good person I respect on the forums so he’s ok

learn from him and maybe I’ll return the favor

Oh I can read, which is why I know that those policy doesn’t cover what you think it does. You are the one that seems to think it implies more than it says. Either way, I think this is a pointless debate and honestly it’s not worth the effort anymore.

People for some reason has this emotional dislike for Overwolf and that is fine.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re not helping your cause here. Why would a policy they haven’t updated since 2009, when these issues weren’t present, comprehensively cover new developments that now need to be addressed with an updated policy?

Honestly it just annoyed me when they started pushing their overlay on Teamspeak or whatever back in the day. That’s influencing my decision to not use their stuff more than malware scares (which seem to be no different than WoWhead – they’re probably lax with ads or something but not actively malicious).

1 Like

How would this kill the game? FFXIV seems to be doing just fine without add-ons. I don’t see how that is a make or break issue with other MMOs do fine without add-ons. Swtor also doesn’t allow them but has a built in UI editor like FFXIV to change how your UI looks.

3 Likes

There is a difference between a game that never had them and removing them from one that has embraced them for years. You can’t miss what you didn’t have. Player would adapt to not having them (Blizzard would need to rebalance and redesign things as they have already stated they design certain things with the user of mods in mind) but it would be that people would hate to suddenly see something that have enjoyed for years being removed.

It would be like them trying to remove flight, but probably worse.

3 Likes