Skirting Overwolf

I can understand that. I just feel that for some things like combat add-ons it creates an artificial problem that has to be designed around. I believe Blizzard even acknowledged they have to design around those things.

Looking at fight complexity for when you compare Vanilla to something like Mythic Archimonde or Fallen Avatar for example.

1 Like

Most of the issues people have with Overwolf tend to come from concerns regarding data collection. While Malware was a rumor that had been floating around for a long time, it seems like more people are worried about what data Overwolf seeks to collect.

4 Likes

There are far more shortcomings with the stock ui that enabling a native “moveanything” could fix.

• Hidden proc rates
  • Pruned character stats page
  • Unnecessarily hidden and currently available collectable items in collection panels
  • Lack of what exists on your account for alts in terms of materials (thus removing the need to log in and out to get a headcount)
  • Autorepair when visiting an npc
  • Autovendor trash when visiting an npc
  • Autoskip previously seen cutscenes
  • Source information of items (like what all the things does) so you don’t have bags full of crap you don’t know what it is for
  • Accounting information (tsm)
  • Being able to silence annoying mount sounds and other associated things with a leatrix plus
  • Having granular information of what is completed on alts with altoholic and savedinstances addons
  • Tracking how many times you opened paragon boxes, looted npcs/bosses for X items
  • Being able to create text notes on your screen
  • Being able to have a quick summary of talents (and like back in BFA azerite gear) with a weakaura like this so you don’t need to dig into panels when hopping on to alts: https://wago.io/TalentSetup
  • A dps meter like details
  • Being able to change nameplate and fonts with plater
  • overachiever addon to actually get a use from the achievement panel with searches
  • tiptac to modify/move tooltips
  • tomcats and that associate bundle of features
  • ls-toasts to change position/size of that default middle bottom of the screen annoying gear/achievement popups. Plus also change threshold of notifications
  • not to mention bartender/dominos + moveanything

All those uses and I never even touched using addons like dbm/bigwigs or using dungeon/raid suite packs for weakauras

3 Likes

Calls people “not tech savvy”, but posts screenshots of Malwarebytes as “proof” that something isn’t malicious.

• Malwarebytes is not a true AV engine. It’s a supplemental AV engine meant to be paired with something actually competent and Malwarebytes functions as the backup. You can visit avcomparisons or similar to see that malwarebytes has the some of the highest rates of false negatives of any “AV” software.
  • Malicious behavior is not limited to malware. If something establishes persistence, scans your folders regularly to see what games you play so they can &$%# over the modding community of those games too, and mines crypto on your free cycles with buff, and pushes ads to you, but puts in the fine print that it’s supposed to do that… then technically, even though it’s malicious behavior, it’s “not” malware.
4 Likes

I some times wonder how differently the game would be played if we didn’t have mods and third party simulation sites to find all the hidden information Blizzard tries to hide from us.

2 Likes

So a windows defender scan would suit you better? yes you’re right malwarebytes is extra protection but used it to show that overwolf is not a big deal

overwolf is using barely 1% of my cpu usage if you have continued reading, so its safe to say there is no “crypto mining” you claim it to be

2 Likes

Sure as hell wouldn’t be as annoying. Like I could submit some photos but the stock ui for azerite gear and corruptions was just pitiful.

Got sick of it when they bricked the character pane with legion. Shame they stopped putting proc rates for things like they did in mop. Guess they did studies to figure out too much info is overbearing for the avg player.

Game should have a developer flag to fix all the obvious shortcomings/hidden things listed above.

1 Like

That seems more realistic to me. Every site/company/etc. seems to be falling over themselves to collect as much data about users as possible.

3 Likes

If you want to know why people don’t like Overwolf, download a tool that monitors your local network traffic and look at her fly. That thing sends a near constant stream of data. What the heck they need all that constant traffic for, they doing full input logging? Eye tracking? It is really shady piece of software.

2 Likes

For me the ads aren’t the issue at all. I’ll deal with those when they’re implemented on WoWUP if the addons I use currently are hosted there.

The issue is 100% Overwolf and their shady history and the reasons why they were created and what they were created for and the very specific people who created them. As I said before, they were Tik Tok before Tik Tok was Tik Tok. If you understand what I’m implying there, then you know 100% why Overwolf has bought up the addon/mod distribution for so many games worldwide and why they force their overlay application to run with your chosen addon/mod updating utility. It’s spyware. Not malware. Spyware.

Oh I understand. I’ve read everything about them and have never used them before. Even heard of the one where they were crypto mining on people’s computers without permission.

Can’t speak from experience as I’ve only see either curse directly back in the day, twitch or WoWUp as of currently.

1 Like

It has ads, paid addons(which is against TOS btw), and adware and tracks stuff on your PC.

3 Likes

Overwolf ate two of my lipsticks and is chewing on the cabinets.

3 Likes

Overwolf got into the cubbards. There’s cereal and pasta shells everywhere. He tore up the cushion on Dad’s recliner. There’s mud everywhere.

1 Like

Wowup still works…

Every company is.

1 Like

Overwolf is coming through the back door!

He’s coming for the children!

Save the children!

2 Likes

Psssh…that is work.

Some of these people don’t even check md5 hashes if an option. Overwolf skips this need…they do it on backend. Or at least when submitter for dbm uploads they bank on them having a password for account not being, well, password to be an easy account hack.

Or cba to search for GitHub where some load up as well this. GitHub gave my computer the flu! Or…it’s M$, Evil bill gates Tin foil. Dude left years ago….still the hats remain.

Way I see this overwolf is doing a lot of leg work here, and other parties are repo pulling and leeching really. and they are ending it. Maybe if they gave up some money…this would go different.

It has ads. Yes….servers cost money. LAN infrastructure costs money. ISP bills…cost money. And they kick back to the devs too. This is why I paid for nexus premium for modding use in other games. Same idea. Stuff….costs money.

it scans your system!!! Yes…it has user base of varied types. it has the users and the techies. scanner is there for the users.

Put folder in what drive again?

well new user to mods/addons…

Did you install in c drive or do you have a 2 drive system and a c and d drive?

So whats this about a c and d drive? so confused…

scanner scans this. If it could talk it say…

looks like your system builder (or kid/teen a usual in house it support for so called “boomers”, I am training my son for this to help his mom as I do it enough at work) put this on your d drive to just have c drive the system drive.

Scanner then says I put the Mod installs there, come to this app once a week or so and I even update this no muss no fuss…enjoy.

hate overwolf…manual says hi. for the but I got 100 add ons crowd going but this is work and takes time. Then they will see why its not a charity lol. Hell maybe you even get an ad you like once in a while.

malware bytes even when it finds stuff…has a high false positive rate.

I know of at least 5 dead common almost standard GPO changes most any company would make that flag in malwarebytes.

One of them relates to standard gpo to push company desktop wallpaper.

You have malware!

No. I have a company wallpaper pushed to this client. Company used this as low level base line before better stuff used. Same couple of false positives I back tracked to company gpo.

1 Like

Just checked. Ran my batch script multiple times and I wasn’t throttled.

I’m using Chrome as my default browser (I’ve allowed it to automatically save/download), and I have uBlock Origin installed with default options. :slight_smile: