Skirting Overwolf

I miss the old Curse Client I used it for years. But it was a stand alone app the Curseforge app isn’t.

1 Like

from one of those links

Randomly started seeing frames below 70 yesterday, went and checked task manager to see overwolf was pushing 25-50% cpu (i7 6700k)

found the problem already, not overwolf, two things:

Spectre and Meltdown exploit patches that hit hard on Intel chips like this skylake chip

and a 4 core 8 thread cpu thats reaching obsoletion

but its easier for them to blame a software yes

I gotta ask man, what exactly do you get out of arguing with literally everyone on the forums? Absolutely no one here sees you how you think they do.

So you picked one that ended up not being the program, and decided they all weren’t anything to do with it? Dude. You have got to be trolling at this point. Every single thread is the same with you.

Y’all can deal with him. I’m tired of arguing with his cherry-picking. I’m going to bed.

1 Like

Hey, hold up there! I use that processor and it still rocks just fine, thank you very much :slight_smile:

If I install an app on my phone that doesn’t have a premium ad free version it immediately gets uninstalled. I have zero apps on my phone that have ads.

iv been kidna forced to use overwolf for a while. iv had no issues with it. though tbf windows pinged it as a false positive not to long ago when i installed it

Absolutely correct! I am sorry for doubting you forgive me

because that thread was 3 years ago, that was when spectre and meltdown was still freshly discovered. Intel and Windows got patches going but it shredded performance on skylake, kaby lake, coffee lake, heck even cpus from haswell to broadwell

plus it was one of the first one I saw and knew the problem before hand.

1 Like

There will always be a way around it, Just takes a moment to find it.

I will never under any circumstance allow an advertisement to run on my system nor use my bandwidth.

1 Like

I lost my pixel a couple of months back and I really wanted to get the newer version but it was like a couple month back log. So instead I got a Samsung and damn I hate the fact I can’t remove all the junk they come preloaded with. One of the best features on the google phone!

Pixel 4a 5G is what i Use, I been using pixel since the 1st one

1 Like

On that we agree but that’s the case now with almost everything starting with Windows and all the privacy settings.

1 Like

Agreed 100%. I have an S21+ and the first thing I did when I got it was remove or disable all the junk I could.

1 Like

The main issue I think is that players in general don’t want to pay either via an ad or directly via a subscription to use an add-on for a game they are already paying. I understand the need to compensate Authors for the work they do for these add-ons but I also understand why players feel they don’t need ads, donation buttons or feeling like they need to provide a financial benefit for the Author.

As for Overwolf itself I’ve never used it but from what I’ve read besides the ads the issues people have had were anywhere from malware to them using your computer to do crypto mining for themselves without consent in the background.

Personally I’m more in favor of just banning all add-ons and then Blizzard simply adding in the ability to fully customize the UI. Visual stuff that doesn’t affect gameplay or combat.

I feel things like DBM or Big Wigs or combat add-ons in general indirectly contribute to Blizzard designing fights with those add-ons in mind.

Hence while they greatly dialed back what they could show after WoD.

If there were no add-ons especially combat ones, they could design fights to be less complicated and not actually need them. Sure as a player you’d have to be more aware or know things about your class better but wouldn’t have these overly complicated fights.

Sometimes these add-ons create an artificial skill gap because they provide so much information in what to do and Blizzard has to compensate for that.

So you want to finish killing the game? There are only two things that cause me to instantly quit for good one is removal of addons the other is going F2P.

2 Likes

Used to love WoW’s addons, but the more I played other MMOs the more I realised just how much drama and BS is avoided by them not being in the game. The developers should be including important functionality or outright hiring these addon developers to do it in house. If these are so essential to the game being playable, why the hell are Blizzard allowing a shady group like Overwolf impede easy access to their content with their garbage reputation and prior history?

3 Likes

Because Blizzard has no control over Overwolf.

1 Like

They do have control over their TOS and how addons interact with the game though. A simple way for Blizzard to intervene would be start dishing out the banhammers as no one is meant to profit from these addons in the first place and then implementing their own system. There shouldn’t be a middleman if these are essential.

3 Likes

That isn’t actually what the policy is. They can’t sell premium access to mods and the mods have to be free of charge. Overwolf isn’t charging you a single penny for access to their mods.

2 Likes

That seems amazingly hard for some people to understand.

1 Like