Simultaneous Silence & Suspension for Abusive Language

Hey Blizzard Support,

Trying to get some clarification on a penalization against my account from a couple weeks ago. I logged on to two simultaneous emails indicating I had been “silenced” and then “suspended” for abusive chat.

It was my understanding these punishments were incremental, as I’ve never had an infraction on my 18 y/o account prior, so this came as quite the unfortunate surprise.

If I could get a bit of additional context as to what this “abuse” may have been, I would much appreciate it. I make it a point to be courteous to other players and have no recollection of anything I said that could have been suspension worthy.

I would like to know what I supposedly said/did that broke conduct so I can avoid it going forward. I’ve requested some clarity via the ticket system but haven’t received any context and am at a loss.

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

2 Likes

Hello,
So for one, you wont get support from them on the forums, best avenue to take is to appeal using the standard process. Noone on the forums knows why, or can do anything about it (blues included).

Second - be sure that the email is legit with all the correct links and its not a phishing attempt.

1 Like

It’s doesn’t have to be profane to be abusive. It’s shown here time and time again, being toxic in game in chat will get actioned. Seeing how you was suspended, it must have been quite egregious if it was your first time.

You’ll have to submit a appeal via ticket.

Just for clarification, it may not have been something you said. “Abusive chat” also covers spamming. It could be advertising for raid carries to frequently or in the wrong channels.

Sometimes one of the SFA’s here can give you more clarity, but it’s not guaranteed.

This looks like it was for an inappropriate reference in your ‘bio’.

Referencing adult ‘toys’ in-game isn’t a good idea, in any context - or in any medium another player can see it.

20 Likes

Yup, that is pretty egregious in my books.

3 Likes

People dont realize the rp addon is still actionable if reported.

4 Likes

Hi Orlyia,

Understood! I have removed the reference as I can see how it would be inappropriate. I would have preferred if I was given a warning or a silence, rather than escalating to an immediate ban with no prior offenses.

Thank you very much for the clear and actionable item.

Have an excellent day

3 Likes

Just for semantics sake, you weren’t banned. It was a suspension. But moving past that…

Everyone who breaks the rules would prefer it be a mild punishment. They have tried that (infinite silences, no suspensions), and not only did it not work to deter the behavior but some people took it as a badge of honor to get the longest silence possible, much like the old DHK system.

The point of a punishment is to drive home the point that the behavior is not ok. A light punishment rarely lets it sink in.

5 Likes

Yeah. Among other things, I remember someone in here with a half year silence … and another individual taunting Blizzard with how they’d just rotate through their trolling accounts as each one was silenced.

They had pretty high opinions of their opinions.

4 Likes