Silenced for being bad at the game

I’m not sure how to post screen shots in this but, I got silenced from a mass report after being called {Removed} in a mythic key the individual was a lot more colorful than that (wow players know how the toxic ones are) my question is why is Blizz creating the meta mindset and then allowing a mass report to punish me for not being versed enough at disc priest (arguably one of the hardest healers) to heal through big mob damage that needs to be cc’d on fortified week? How is it that I got hated on by 4 players at the end of it all being told to “{Removed}. Please go learn how to play or stop playing.” how is me defending myself by saying “you didn’t CC anything so you died.” grounds for me to be punished. and for those who are curious a DH tank pulled the whole room in BRH with the archers and other frontal mobs and not a single one got cc’d so people were dropping like flies. by the end of the dungeon we had 12 deaths but we still timed it. i submitted my appeal to Blizz over 2 days ago and they just sent me a link to the rules. i read them and no where in there did it have a rule that says “get silenced for not out healing big mob damage.” it’s even more frustrating that i just moved on from the disagreement because I don’t have time to wallow in anger over an MMO i didn’t get irritated until i logged on the next day and got the message “your account has been reported by multiple users check your email for more information.” and then even more so i cant talk to my friends in game i cant run M+ i can’t do heroic raid. the only things i can do is heroic dungeons through DF and non rated battle grounds. I CAN’T EVEN PING. imagine being in a team based game mode and you can’t communicate or even ping your teammates. I’m seriously considering quitting after this and i’ve been playing this game since the lich king fell. never in my years of playing have i had this happen and this just goes to show me that both blizzard and the community at this point are corrupted. over 2 days of waiting on a response from the multi billion dollar company with a team dedicated to disciplinary actions and i get a link to the rules that i didn’t break I’m posting this in forums now in hopes that a Game manager will see and actually read my appeal because as it stands right now they did not.

There are no GM’s on the forums, if you want to appeal your penalty you will have to continue sending in a ticket until they decide to honour no more appeals (they will state this clearly).

That said, if there’s some time a Blizzardian may check briefly what it was exactly that you did and reveal a snippet of it.

We’ve however seen quite a few cases of players claiming they didn’t do anything only to be revealed that they infact, retaliated with toxicity or anything else. Remember: Swearing is also considered against the game rules and is a valid reason for a penalty.

Please in the future write in paragraps for easier reading.

10 Likes

It is not, and it would not have gotten you penalized. Something else you likely said, possibly another day, is probably what did it. Penalties are often well after the infraction.

So you have a Silence penalty then. That is usually applied for first time infractions on the account and lasts a week.

If you still feel it was an error, you can always appeal again via ticket. There are no GMs on the forums and they don’t accept appeals on the forums.

14 Likes

I would agree with Forumcat, paragraphs would be extremely helpful in being able to read your post, Arcaneist. Additionally, at no point is posting profanity okay. I removed it this one time, but it can cause the removal of posting privileges.

Let me be clear on this, because this seems to be the same song we’ve heard many times now… You weren’t penalized because you were “mass reported”, you were penalized because you violated our Code of Conduct and were simply reported.

I’m not sure what “meta mindset” is supposed to mean or how it justifies any actions that otherwise violate policy, but you weren’t punished for not being a good enough disc priest. You were penalized mostly for using profanity.

First, “defending yourself” is never justification to use toxic or inappropriate language. Second, that isn’t what you said, or at least that isn’t what you said that got you in trouble.

The first expression you used when posting, which I removed, the Dog one, you also said that and seems to have been used by you several times, mostly referring to the game. You also used other terms that would be considered profanity, and doesn’t help if you also whisper another user calling them a name starting with a B.

So, I’m sorry, Arcaneist, it doesn’t seem you were silenced for being bad at the game, but simply for violating our Code of Conduct by using profanity. Your aptitude while playing isn’t a factor.

29 Likes

So true and another one comes to reality. If I have 1000 gold each time someone claims they got mass reported and did not say anything worth the punishment.

7 Likes

I Marked out parts of the words in an attempt to quote what was said in a more professional manner. I’m sorry. In addition to that I understand that forums are not the place for appeals however 2 days is a long time to leave someone in the dark on a matter when they are paying to play your game.

Communication

When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

So being reactive is what got me in trouble… and the only difference is they reported and i didn’t.
Ok makes sense to me I misunderstood the situation.
That is good constructive criticism I’ll be more mindful.

(The following paragraph is based off my experience in the game and in no way an attempt to argue or justify my silence I’ve already accepted that rules are rules.)

However if these are the guidelines then you might as well remove the chat system.
Battlegrounds, Dungeons, Raids, etc. you can’t play this game without hearing toxic or offensive language it’s apart of the games culture at this point and many other games.
I’ll sit through the silence without complaint since you made it clear what happened, sorry for the inconvenience. I’ll make sure to watch what I say.

I’ve been playing World of warcraft for quite a while now and never had this happen before, in a competitive environment things get heated between competitors. my buddies said that it sounded like a mass report and to submit the appeal and it should get thrown out. Thanks for the clarification, have a nice day.

No your choice of the language you used is what caused this! I believe the blue pointed out fairly well what caused this. Honestly the best thing you can do in that situation is keep your fingers out of chat and move on.

4 Likes

Not so much being reactive, as using profanity, masked profanity, insults, etc. Those have been against the rules since the game released. It is just easier now to report it with right click capturing the data logs.

And yet, even though we have had these guidelines since day one, we still have a chat system.

Yes, people still violate the rules. Right click and report them. Don’t join in. Blizzard is trying very hard to get it across to people that creating a toxic environment is not what Blizz wants.

The next account penalty is a Suspension for a week, not just a Silence.

11 Likes

That’s what i meant by being reactive, I tend to use profanity when I’m heated. Like i said i understand, I’ll watch what I say. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is exactly why people think it’s “okay.” If people aren’t reporting folks who break the rules, then Blizzard does not know to investigate or sanction them.

It shouldn’t be, though. Blizzard has been making some pretty good strides in really nailing it to people who break the rules, but they do it in tandem with players who are sick of that “gamer culture.”

Not everyone acts like that or attacks other players or use inappropriate language. People have somehow managed to play this game since it’s opening day without ever getting a warning, let alone sanctioned.

REPORT PEOPLE WHO BREAK THE RULES.

It’s not being a sell out, simp, boot licker or any of those other lovely terms. It’s cleaning up the game and holding other people accountable. Period.

12 Likes

Oh I understand! Everyone can be a bit colorful when heated. Just yell at your screen instead of type :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Usually i can just ignore it XD but everyone has off days.

I’ll keep my negativity in the discord chat, i agree that toxicity should not be apart of the game. I will also make an attempt to start reporting the instances that I see from now on, i did not realize actions were actually taken against it because it is so common.

Thanks again!

5 Likes

They do take action when reported and it should not be common!

5 Likes

I agree! After everything’s said and done being apart of it doesn’t combat it.

7 Likes

:100: :100: :100:

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

What you are paying is irrelevant, we generally do not provide the chat lines that you got you in trouble. Much like the forums, you are supposed to review the Code of Conduct to determine what you said that may have violated them. Sorry.

I have no idea if they may or may not have been reported for their behavior, but that you were reported and that we were able to verify that you violated our policies is what got you in trouble.

I’m sorry , but that is like saying, you might as well remove freeways because people often speed on them.

Yes, there will be people who break the rules. Some do so because they want to, others because they are ignorant of our policies and others still because they don’t think there will be any consequences. Simply reporting the behavior when you see it can help with all three.

The issue we have is there is this belief that “mass reports” are the cause. They can be, to a degree, because unless the behavior was reported the chat wouldn’t be reviewed and nothing would happen, but that also just takes one or more people just reporting it. It doesn’t have to be a “mass report”.

That’s all we can ask. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I do want to throw it out there this has changed my perspective on what blizzard is aiming towards, even though I did end being on the receiving end of the HOJ. XD

7 Likes

Tell your buddy to stop listening to streamers. Mass reports will not gaurentee a action only time you will be penalized if rules are broken.

4 Likes

We can agree to disagree on this one, from my point of view if i am paying for a service i need to know the reason it gets revoked, whether i did or didn’t commit a violation (which I realize i did after it got explained). For me I’m not going to accept that i already paid for it but I’m not going to get to use it without an explanation of why. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, you already know what was the reason, with your post here, talking about talking and knowing what you’ve said towards other players. Even Vrak pointed it out: