Wow's Silent Dungeons

… four reports is not getting you banned.

Stop this hyperbole.

4 Likes

Gonna call bs on that.

4 Likes

What dungeons did you do where people said anything? I have never experienced that in my life in WoW. I don’t do a lot of group play, but what little I did was long ago and nobody said anything unless it was an expected part of the run.

The only people who talk in groups are pre-made groups of friends/guildmates.

This is not a recent thing and I am confused why you made a thread claiming it is. Today is not Sunday, yet.

2 Likes

I’ll always respond if someone speaks, however the quote above I think is what causes a good chunk of less chatting.

If I’m fighting, I can’t type in chat.

Also, most of us know the dungeons inside-out and player power eclipses any need to know a lot of mechanics regardless.

Even now in LFR, bosses are going down so quickly we don’t even see some of the mechanics we did at the start of the season.

TL;DR
No one speaks, because there is no need to.

oh, the trolling potential.

you of course immediately told him you’ll teach him some manners, right?

and that he’ll be acting like a proper lady in no time. saying to you “good morning” and “thank you, sir”.

right? right?

No it does not and no they are not. The most other players can do to you is get you squelched for a while until it drops off or a GM reviews it.

If someone gets an actual week Silence of a Suspension then the GM checked the logs and they did indeed break the rules.

The trick here - is not to say things that break the rules even if provoked and trolled.

The people who go to the CS forum with wild claims like that usually end up finding out that it was not a lot of reports, and that the GM actually read the logs before they got a time out. Like this

or this

The issue we have is there is this belief that “mass reports” are the cause. They can be, to a degree, because unless the behavior was reported the chat wouldn’t be reviewed and nothing would happen, but that also just takes one or more people just reporting it. It doesn’t have to be a “mass report”.

3 Likes

We have lost a LOT of things in this game for the sake of expediency.

When I play WoW, I’m usually in a voice channel on Discord with friends (who may be playing WoW or some other games), so that is where I do the talking while I play games.

I don’t usually type in queued content unless necessary (someone asks a question), and in M+/raid PUGs only when there’s need for it, e.g. asking when they’d like BL or what the route is if there are multiple options.

I occasionally add someone to my friends list after playing with them if they stood out to me, and while leveling an alt I met a couple chatty fellow foxes that I also added to my list, but beyond that I moved my WoW socializing from the game’s text chat to Discord’s voice chat.

1 Like

Yeah it does actually, volume of reports is the only thing that matters

3 Likes

Youre not going to get mass reports in a 5 man group

No, as that’s not my job, and not my place, I’ll right click > report it and go on healing the poor tank trying to keep up with the dps.

Blizzard can teach them some manners.

Take Nokhud for example, not even the trolling potentials, the outright unwillingness to expect someone’s not done it before, and don’t know that they have to fly, or where to fly too, or that there’s a flight path, and then instantly swearing in chat because they had 35 seconds of their ever so precious time “wasted” in a game, that’s wasting their time by design.

People in WoW by and large are just purely apathetic at this point, and if I’m ever forced to listen to that garbage on voice, I’ll just stop running dungeons with strangers, full stop.

With guildies? We’re all in a Discord anyways.

1 Like

While volume of reports can be a factor in escalating something faster, it is not the end determinant. Enough reports in a short enough time triggers a Squelch which was put in LONG ago for advertising really, but has been abused by a few streamers - who got suspended for abusing the reporting system by having their followers falsely report.

This is what determines actual penalties. The actual game logs.

2 Likes

Hi Mirasol.

Well I’ve been playing Wow for 20 years. And yes we use to talk a lot. Specially the crowd that came from Everquest. This Silence in dungeons is a relative new thing within the last year or so… I’m surprised that you were offended by my post? I would refer you to the other posts in this thread that acknowledge the situation.

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure where you got the idea I am offended. Text is difficult to tell tone from I suppose. I just have very different experiences than yours. PUGs through the group finder have always been pretty silent and there have been dozens of threads about it over the years.

I just disagree with your idea that it is “new”, because it is very much not new, as other posts in here also have shared.

I am glad your experience was more friendly, and yes, pre- dungeon finder groups were much more chatty and the dungeons took a long time. They were the pre-made groups made without the dungeon finder though. It was a very different thing back then. Yes, I have been here playing the whole time too.

That is not how Dungeon Finder groups work though. Nobody talks, never really has.

The forums reset in 2018, but not long after the “not talking in dungeons” threads resumed, like this one.

You are free to be wrong if you like :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

You ended your comment with “Today is not Sunday, yet.” implying that my post was nonsense.

You haven’t posted a dev post, and you’re being inflammatory. By your own admission, my flag would action your post yes?

1 Like

I am stating that people not talking in dungeons is not new, despite your claim that it is. Threads started on false premises tend to be Sunday fodder.

I could go find you dozens more links about the “people don’t talk in WoW/Dungeons”, but that seems overkill.

I am sure folks have many opinions on why, but most of it boils down most people knowing the dungeon runs and going as fast as possible. If you have to talk you are likely to be left behind and then maybe even kicked. That is just how the dungeon finder flow works. Private groups made outside the game tools are much more likely to be friends, relaxed, or chatty.

No, because I did not break any forum rules. You are also mixing in-game moderation with forum moderation which are separate teams and separate software. The most another user can do on the forums is get a post greyed out pending Mod review. People have to click to read it, which means they will. Does not do anything beyond that. Takes more than your single report to trigger the forum software to grey it out. IF I were to get penalized, that would indeed be a Mod. I would have to break the forum code of conduct, which correcting misinformation does not break.

5 Likes

Well that’s not exactly a kind way to phrase it in my opinion. But fine lets just agree to disagree. I hope you have a wonderful day.

1 Like

Yeah actually you did.

1 Like

I’m hoping that you will explain this accusation.

2 Likes