Sick of the Layering posts, Actiblizz? Get rid of it

yeah…

You don’t care if it damages the brand and the hobby. As long as it’s “authentic”.

1 Like

Queues are kind of hard to miss. They’re very noticeable. Layering will never be noticed by your average player.

Big difference.

2 Likes

No, I just disagree that actually providing people what they want is harmful.

We asked for vanilla. We want vanilla.

Uh huh. You must have a pretty low opinion of the average player.

I mean, I’m a bit of an elitist myself and even I think the average player could tell when they’re being phased into another layer.

1 Like

Sure. But how often will that happen? I’d imagine it’s impossible to interact with players on other layers without whispering them directly.

I’d guess many/most players will never switch layers.

And we’ll destroy Vanilla/Classic to get what we want. You’ll burn it all down just to get a “authentic” experience.

1 Like

You should, as the one thing that will be the same on private servers as it will be on retail is the players involved. Their behavior has been consistent for a long time, it would be wrong to think now it will change.

I think you’re just arguing semantics at this point. Preventing something would be 100% avoiding it–but that can’t be done because let’s be honest, someone will be unhappy, while mitigating something just reduces the effects of, what I see to be a 100% guarantee–flooded servers and eventual ghost servers in many cases.

They’re interchangeable to me in this regard, because the goal is to prevent dead server.

We’ll have to disagree on this point. I’m very pro capital punishment.

We’re not getting 1.12, as that would imply BWL/world bosses would be open on release. The whole game being offered to us is a frankenpatch.

I don’t think it’s worth complaining about.

Not as much as you think, and I’ve done the math myself.

Objectively true when you realize the damage that is done to server’s economies when people farm Maraudon/DM for hours on end. There’s a reason private servers had to make their own changes to those instances.

How many layers you think there will be on a realm? 6? 7? I think 3-4 is pretty realistic. So say you’re getting attacked by another player in world pvp, you call out in /world chat “INVITE TO ANOTHER LAYER PLEASE”. You’ve got a decent chance that you don’t even switch layers (if someone even invites you by the time you die because you were too busy typing).
I don’t consider appearing on top of targets without getting to that position significant, as that only affects streamers.

So the 3000 people on a layer can’t form a community by themselves? How do you feel about CRBGs being implemented from the get-go (as far as the honor system goes) by the way with regards to this community building?

Does it affect it positively or negatively though? it’s not quantifiable and I think most people arguing that it negatively affects the community don’t have stable ground to argue that from.
Coming from someone who played on Nost at launch and other megaservers, I felt like I only really knew my guild because there were so many faceless adventurers out there.

Because 90% of the population isn’t going to be lvl 60 in a month. “High level resources” is #1 issue people have. Yet there wont be high levels for a long amount of time, They are already implementing a CD for layer hopping. Cant switch layers mid combat so pvp is just fine, besides honor being added later. The economy on any MMO, let alone wow, never stabilize until, at the very least, 3 months from launch, when layering is long gone.

Those are what hundreds of layering posts all depict as the worst symptom of layering but they are not as severe as people proclaim.

The factual worst symptom is for the 1%ers that are going to have huge issue finding people to play with if they are way ahead of the pack and any potential others are stuck on separate layers. It wont happen if you stay near the median in terms of leveling speed.

Even with layering I don’t expect to be able to play launch night. Without layering, it’s going to be literal weeks before queues get to a reasonable level, little on go away at all. And let’s say they open more servers to alleviate the queue times. How many of those people do you think are going to give up because a) Classic wasn’t for them, or b) they don’t want to wait in queue? How do you think that is going to affect those new servers?

Y’all can’t have it both ways. Either you’re going to have a small subset community that is willing to put up with queues spread across many servers, or you get the opportunity to have a larger community with layering. The people that could potentially stick around are not going to with a queue, regardless of anyone else’s opinion on “instant gratification”.

You also have all four timezones in the US connecting at the same time, instead of being staggered over 4 hours. And all of those at prime time, instead of 12AM. So yes, it still does matter.

Which, again, community-wise all you’re left with is enough people patient enough to wait for weeks to actually start playing reliably. I’m willing to bet that number will not even be enough to fill a single server.

Fairly often. There’s also other people phasing into different layers all around them.

/1 Invite me to the fun layer.

Intentionally, maybe not. They’ll get swapped whether they want to or not.

Cute, but asking that vanilla be recreated faithfully is the exact opposite of asking for it to be destroyed.

Cut it out with the strawman. I don’t care about the “authentic experience.” I want the game.

Which layering will not do.

I’m also pro-capital punishment. Capital punishment is not murder. Murder is the unlawful killing of one person by another.

Yeah, unfortunately.

As I said, though, the whole “which patch” issue is different than something that was never in vanilla.

I’m aware.

Uh, okay. Take a look at druids’ talent trees, as just one example.

It won’t be a “significant impact” as in “we clear Molten Core twice as fast” kind of thing, but there are significant impacts made by the changes throughout vanilla’s lifecycle.

Just because something else does as much or more harm to the economy does not mean something that does less harm has had no impact on the economy.

If you think N number of layers, all full with people farming resources, mobs, questing, leveling, and such, won’t impact the economy, you’re deluding yourself.

Because private servers are inauthentic garbage. I’d much prefer Blizzard doesn’t provide me more of the same.

I’d imagine whatever cap Blizzard puts on the number of layers that can be created. That number will be reached with ease.

If it weren’t, then the queues wouldn’t be as big as problem as pro-layering folks think.

Or maybe you’re asking to be invited to another layer because you were already killed and are now getting camped, and you just want to continue questing peacefully on the layer where the faction balance leans more in your favor.

It affects everyone all the same; streamers are just an easier target for it.

Hm. Fair point. Sure, they could, but that doesn’t change the fact the other 3,000*N people all playing at the same time are going to be hidden away in other layers.

The original 3,000 people on a layer also run the risk of being swapped around between layers, inhibiting the community forming. Not preventing, of course, but inhibiting.

How I feel about it is inconsequential. They were part of 1.12, so they’ll be part of Classic. I want vanilla, for better or for worse.

The debate about CRBGs, using 1.12 AV, etc, is one I think that is totally separate to that of layering.

Negatively.

That depends on how you’d intend to quantify it.

Was layering in vanilla? No. Therefore, having layering is quantifiably less vanilla-like.

Whether or not you consider Classic being faithful to vanilla as a positive or a negative probably depends on if you actually want vanilla or if you just want a good game whether it’s vanilla or not.

I already think vanilla is good. It has its flaws, but I’d rather not change it, because none of the good changes are worth the bad changes that’d come along with them.

I’d rather they just give me the game I already love and enjoy rather than try to change it to make it better. This is especially true with Blizzard, because I no longer trust them to make the distinction between good and bad changes.

No, the #1 issue people have is that it wasn’t in vanilla. All the other issues with layering are just more reasons to justify complaining about it.

Alas, that’s not really a valid argument. You don’t have to be 60 to get the highest level resources, it doesn’t take 100% of the player base being 60 to cause problems, and what’s to say layering only lasts 1 month anyway?

Which is far too short, but that’s a good step, yes. The more they do to limit people’s ability to swap between layers, the better.

Ideally, you’d pick which layer you wanted to play on, and you wouldn’t be able to swap between them at all.

Well, we’ve seen evidence proving otherwise. Hopefully that’s just a bug that’ll be fixed. I’ve heard some claim it already is fixed.

Alas, that doesn’t really fix the problem, though. You can still swap layers outside of combat, which presents all the same issues.

I guess that depends on how many people plan on playing, how many of those are playing at the same time, and how many realms there are.

All data that I lack, unfortunately. At best, even Blizzard can only speculate as to those numbers.

Let’s not. That’s what causes dead realms. Adding realms just to deal with the initial launch population is foolish, since that population will greatly decline, or at the very least spread out their logins.

I’d imagine the number of people who’d quit over a queue on launch day is pretty minimal, especially given they pay a monthly subscription and can just try again later if they really aren’t willing to wait.

They could play on a less populated realm with shorter or non-existent queues, as well. The population would spread out perfectly even. There will be some realms with ridiculously high queues, and some “dead” realms.

We don’t want it both ways. We want it one way: the way it was in vanilla.

If that produces only a small subset community that is willing to put up with queues, then so be it.

[quote=“Hanners-emerald-dream, post:128, topic:222655”]
The people that could potentially stick around are not going to with a queue, regardless of anyone else’s opinion on “instant gratification”.

Why not? That’s exactly what happened in the past.

I’m pretty sure that’s never how it worked. They weren’t staggered over 4 hours; they were all logged in at the same time. It’s just that it was midnight for some, 1 AM for others, 11 PM for others, and so on.

I said the regions don’t really matter, because all the EU players logging in at the same time as US players won’t affect either in any way, since they’re connecting to different region servers.

It won’t take weeks to be able to start playing reliably, even without layering. Even if by “playing reliably” you mean “no waiting in a queue,” it still won’t take weeks.

1 Like

So what you’re saying is that 5 layers filled with 5 groups of people all farming resources will somehow result in a different economy than 1 layer with 1 group of people farming? If all layers are filled with people farming resources, then there should be no change to the economy.

I’m saying that Maraudon/DM being in absolutely destroys the economy compared to whatever layering does. Comparatively speaking, layering is a non-factor compared to a hypothetical surplus of devilsaur leather/arcane crystals for the first few months.

Are they? The playerbase is the same more or less. DM/maraudon farming was viable in 2004-06. It was on private servers as well until players started abusing it after the stratholme box bug was fixed. After it came to light how profitable it was, it was changed because the inflation it was causing was destroying the economy.
If you really are #nochanges, I hope you’re okay with the same thing happening on retail servers. It’s not a question of “if” dire maul destroys the economy, it’s a question of “when”.

And what’s to stop me from following that player to that layer? Or the more cowardly option, reporting them for breaking the ToU?

thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods;

I’m pretty sure they implemented an IGCD on swapping layers that gets changed when actions are taken anyways.

How are you going to get on top of “someone” you don’t even know is there? You’ll be just as surprised as he is that you popped out of thin air.

Sure. But from my experience, people add me after 5 mans and they’ll be able to play with me if they need a tank ever. I didn’t really notice being on a different layer ever.

It’s of consequence to me. Consistence should be key, and if community building is something you hold dearly as it seems to be, that should be reflected with all of your views.

I think Classic being faithful to vanilla is a detriment, personally.
If I had it my way, we wouldn’t have spell batching as lax as it is, CRBGs would be gone, DKs wouldn’t exist, and raids would actually be hard. :upside_down_face:

Times have changed, and mistakes were made. I don’t think we need to make the same mistakes twice, but I’ll play as long as my guild does regardless of the final outcome.

How is 5x the number of people gathering resources simultaneously not a change to the economy?

I don’t disagree. That doesn’t mean layering doesn’t affect the economy.

A stab to the heart does more damage than a stab to the thigh, but a stab to the thigh is still harmful.

One is caused by the other, and the first few months are when those resources will matter most.

By the time people are clearing BWL or AQ or Naxx, no one is going to care about the price of Devilsaur Leather.

Yes, as you clearly described:

So what? The player base doesn’t make them authentic.

Obviously, because I’m actually in favor of no changes. “Warts and all.”

Knowing which layer they went to, for one. Risking phasing into a mass of enemies and ending up getting camped yourself, secondly. The fact you might also just want to quest peacefully and the fact there’s no enemy faction members there to disrupt that makes you perfectly content, and the only reason you were PvPing is to fight over the mobs, thirdly.

I’m sure I could think of other reasons.

Breaking the ToU? What? How is using an intended feature of layering in violation of any Blizzard policy?

Nice try. Quote the whole thing next time:

cheats; i.e. methods not expressly authorized by Blizzard, influencing and/or facilitating the gameplay, including exploits of any in-game bugs, and thereby granting you and/or any other user an advantage over other players not using such methods;

Okay? But you can still swap. The frequency at which you can do it doesn’t really matter.

What’s to say you don’t know they’re there? If you’re being invited to another layer on top of someone, it likely means you’re communicating with someone who does know they’re there.

“I’m dead. I see him. He’s sitting right on the corner. He’s eating. Okay, accept my invite, he’s half HP!”

There’s more opportunities for communities to form than after a dungeon.

Then you should know I am consistently disregarding my own personal feelings about a particular feature and concerning myself almost entirely with whether it existed in vanilla or not.

This speaks for itself.

Then maybe you should be advocating for Blizzard to make another MMO instead of Classic.

No one would be here complaining about #nochanges if it weren’t meant to be a recreation of the game they already know and love.

1 Like

its not going to bother me at all, thats whats important

Good for you.

To someone who doesn’t want vanilla, sure.

1 Like

Because there would be 5x the amount of people buying those resources up. Supply and demand will be the same.

I disagree on that, devilsaur leather remains a popular item well into and past BWL. You can see for yourself on servers that have Naxx released, it still sells for 10g.

And retail will suffer the same problems private did when it left the issue unchecked. Unauthentic?
Yes.
But player knowledge/use of DM/maraudon was limited back then and it wasn’t a problem back then, which is unauthentic in itself.

But the behavior of the playerbase is predictive of what will happen. It’s the most authentic part of private servers.

No changes in this case would actually lead to a bigger change from what you experienced in 04-06, ironically enough.

So blizzard expressly authorized changing layers to help you farm, avoid pvp, etc? or was layering intended for other reasons?

I’m pretty sure when Kazzak got one shotted by that paladin, blizzard considered that an exploit. That’s why it was fixed the next day–it offered a user an advantage over other players not abusing it.

If it’s a different layer every 5/10/15 minutes it negates the scouting for resources reason.
I’d say the frequency matters a whole lot.

That’s weird that I’m communicating with someone from another layer, must mean that there is some degree of community forming in that case :upside_down_face:
Fair point though. But a great way to encourage World PvP.

“Did that guy really just layer in help? I’m going to do the same”.

Seems like it could actually build community at that point, doesn’t it?

Then I don’t think you should be using it being harmful to the community as one of your reasons for arguing against it, as there are other things that are more harmful to the community that are “vanilla features” regardless of the duration of time they were in vanilla for.

It does. I know better than to think we’ll get the same experience in 2019 than we did in 2006.

The issue is this, I want an experience that is authentic to the way the game felt back then, not the way the game was back then.

Subtle difference, but two very distinct and very different games.

I figured if the posters screaming about dire maul being included at launch were appeased, maybe they’ll make other changes that actually make sense as well.

Supply is higher than demand in an MMO. There’s a reason costs go down over time.

I didn’t say anything about its popularity.

And the fact it sells for 10g is totally meaningless information without knowing the amount of gold circulating the economy on a realm. 10g can be expensive or cheap depending on the realm.

You just said they didn’t leave it unchecked.

That’s not a change to the game.

Okay? Cool. They still made changes, which makes them inauthentic.

I don’t care about what I experienced. I care about the game.

Yes. Do you think people phasing into other layers when invited is an unintended bug?

Dude, if they decide swapping layers to avoid PvP or farm more efficiently is an exploit that needs to be fixed, I would laugh hysterically. It would validate everything we’ve said about layering being a problem.

Do you really want to make the case that hopping between layers is an unintended exploit that needs to be fixed? That will do a lot more for my argument than yours.

Assuming there’s only one person doing it, sure.

There’s also the fact there’s multiple layers worth of people gathering the same resources at a time, even if they don’t swap between layers.

It changes the severity of the issue, yes. Obviously being able to do it once an hour is far less of a problem than being able to do so without limitations, but it’s still a problem nonetheless.

I was working under the assumption that these two people already knew each other and were communicating in someone outside of the game.

A very different and inauthentic form of world PvP, sure.

Not really, as it’s entirely possible to avoid those scenarios whereas without layering, it wouldn’t be.

If someone brought in help, they’d have to ask for help of their own to deal with it. With layering, they can just phase away to safety.

First and foremost, being true to vanilla is my concern. Everything past that point is just helpful to my case.

There are things harmful to the community in vanilla, I’m sure, but they were part of vanilla.

The only reason I make any point other than “it wasn’t in vanilla” is because pro-changes folks don’t think that is reason enough not to implement something.

It’s a sad state of affairs when “it wasn’t in vanilla” isn’t reason enough not to implement something in what is meant to be a recreation of vanilla.

Why do you keep bringing up the experience? “The experience” is subjective and varied from person to person. It is literally impossible to recreate, yet the game is not.

Then get a time machine or bash your head against a wall a few times to cause some brain damage to revert back to your younger, less experienced state of mind.

Not including Dire Maul at launch isn’t really a change, though. Vanilla didn’t launch with Dire Maul.

If anything, asking for Dire Maul not to be available at launch is asking to revert a change, not to make a change in the first place.

1 Like

It’s a good way of putting it. And do you know what was the catalyst in creating those experiences? The community.

Community is by far the biggest factor in what made Vanilla WoW Vanilla WoW. So while it’s important (and necessary) to get all the little things right, the most important feature of the game, aka the community, shouldn’t be put to the side and given a lower priority.

1 Like

And how would you know that?

Do public chat channels actually send to all layers? Do you see all layers when you /who? I really don’t know.

But I do know it’s easy to communicate with streamers across layers. And that’s where most people’s knowledge of how layering works comes from. So you can imagine how skewed their perspective may be.

Again you’re making unfounded assumptions. As far as I know the only way to switch layers is to join or leave a group of another layer. Maybe it’s just joining because if it’s also on leaving that’d be quite a bit more jarring.

whatever, im not a purist. i have better things to worry about

Remove layering, it is so bad and will introduce more issues than it fixes.

1 Like

Videos, streamers, forum posts, personal accounts from folks in the beta.

Yes. At the very least, that’s how it worked in the last stress test.

I’m not sure how it’s skewed, exactly. They’re playing the same game as the rest of us.

It’s not unfounded. If there is a cap to how many players can be in each layer and someone decides to be invited to another layer, what do you think the system does? It rather defeats the point of having a cap if it allows that cap to be exceeded.

What happens is someone, somewhere in the world, will be forced into a different layer.

Then you never wanted vanilla. That’s okay. Some of us want vanilla.

1 Like