Sick of the Layering posts, Actiblizz? Get rid of it

As stated.

1. The OG Vanilla/Classic Community, who signed the petition for Vanilla servers, doesn’t want layering, sharding, or phasing of any kind.

2. We never asked for layering, sharding, or phasing of any kind.

3. Activision Blizzard promised an authentic Vanilla WoW experience, using Vanilla and Classic interchangeably plenty of times.

So common sense shows, if this company wants to see its customers stop posting the same problem every day, then remove this failed feature/technology (look at your current FrankenWoW) or at the very least, give us alternative servers and let the BFA tourists have their single player servers.

Ezpz.

That is all.

43 Likes

Blizzard doesn’t care one way or the other.

It’s the pro-layering folks who want to see the layering threads stop popping up.

13 Likes

17 Likes

lol @ wanting authentic vanilla wow experience.

Its delusional to think you can get authentic experience in modern setting. So many things have changed over last 15 years that its impossible to have authentic vanilla experience. Even such basic thing as your knowledge of vanilla makes authentic experience impossible.

As for layering, its a necessary evil. In vanilla there were no BfA tourists that would join at launch and disappear few week later. In vanilla there were no nostalgia players, who would join for few weeks, then after scratching their nostalgia itch quit because nostalgia has effect of remembering only good parts, but there are bad parts too.

In vanilla launch was only beginning, game had massive influx of new players after that. That resulted in servers constantly getting new players and not dying.

Classic will be different. There will be massive initial spike of players. Its a new thing that Blizzard needs to find solution for. Without layering all realms would be dead just few months after release. With layering realms can stretch far above their intended limits at start then when players leave, end up being healthy realms.

Your chase for “authentic” experience, which you can’t possibly get (anyone with functioning brain understand that getting authentic experience is impossible, except for hardcore purists whiners) would only result in death of Classic. Blizzard came up with decent solution. If you can’t accept it, wait until layering is gone. Blizzard did state that its a temporary solution that would be removed before P1.

13 Likes

Anyone with a functioning brain knows that absolutely no one expects to recreate the exact social dynamics of 2004 deleted memories and all, we just want the damn game as it was.

When people say they want the authentic classic experience they are clearly talking about experiencing the authentic game as it was, I don’t know how so many idiots misconstrue this into the idea we’re all trying to hop in a literal time machine.

You say the game “would die” without layering (lmfao), is crap.

Tell me, warlords of draenor was released with no layering, it also saw one of the biggest subscription plummets in wow history a few months after launch…

Yet the servers were perfectly fine.
There will always be high, medium, low pop servers, and people have always chose what server type they liked accordingly.

To many people just lap up any bullplop blizzard feeds them, they change the game how they want and come up with excuses later, if they wanted layering, it was going to be in the game, its only later they come up with whatever excuse to justify it later.

11 Likes

https://i.redd.it/rmnlycjspl931.png

One of the original main features of Vanilla:

"Indulge in seamless beauty"

It was one of the biggest features that set Vanilla apart from it’s competitors, which all had instancing and loading screens in their “worlds”, while WoW enchanted people by presenting an actual World with seamless beauty.

I always disliked it so much when i ran into so many loading screens in games that looked like they had their own world. When i started playing WoW, i got so drawn into it’s world, i lost track of time and became so immersed i felt like i was really in that World.

Layering is gonna remove one of the main features of Vanilla for weeks or months. Meanwhile everyone thinks they’ll get the original game presented to them on the 27th August, because that’s what Blizzard has said they will do, and advertised as such:
https://imgur.com/a/ChhciYu

If anything is a “necessary evil”, then it’s to keep the 1 world 1 community intact in one way or another, even if it brings it’s own drawbacks. Alternatives exist, and we posted them many times now.

Layering/Sharding cannot be considered an option if they truly wish to present this game as a “love letter to the community”, as they’ve said themselves they were going to do.

8 Likes

Did they promise? Is there a link I can see this at?

1 Like

One of the problems with todays wow developers, is that they are in love with “tech solutions”.

LFG, LFR, Layering, sharding, leeway, spell batching, flexy raids, multiple raid difficulties, phasing blah blah, wow developers always hail such tech solutions as the greatest thing to ever happen to wow, despite players popular opinion saying otherwise.

Notice when it came to listening to players or recreating classic they ignored EVERYTHING, they had no interest beyond doing the minimum of recreating 1.12, HOWEVER when it came to minor tech solutions like spell batching and leeway?
That IS something the tech dummies would get excited to work on, so naturally that’s what their focus is.
Suddenly ensuring these minor mechanic details are in the game is of utmost importance, yet they wont dedicate a drop of energy towards making an authentic AV, which would be infinitely easier.

Problem is literally no one cares about these tech solutions beyond the people who came up them, I think the developers who come up with kind of tech solutions think people will really love the QOL stuff they come up with and are kind of shocked when no one likes it.

Problem is these QOL things would be great… on any other game!
They just don’t apply well to warcraft, a game that is supposed to be brutal and difficult is not enhanced by making everything easier and streamlined.
Imagine dark souls where I can just teleport to whatever boss I want lol.
Take these fantastic QOL tech solutions to any other game they will be praised, just not in warcraft where the entire point was standing on your own two feet in a brutal scarce unforgiving world.

5 Likes

I don’t think it would be wise to not use layering on launch.

Could remove this thread though this is after all entirely unnecessary.

4 Likes

I disagree. I think it’s a necessary evil. :wink:

1 Like

I can’t think of a reason not to offer both options, it seems like a fair compromise to provide that which was promised.

2 Likes

I wish they could layer the forums so I could stop reading layering threads.

Pro or anti layer it doesn’t matter. Subject has been beaten to death. Bliz doesn’t care.

Gg wrap it up boys.

6 Likes

There are so many different threads on this forum. The nice thing is, the ones about layering tend to be always marked by having “layering” in some form or another in the title, hinting that this thread may contain layering content.

If you don’t care to read about it, or join the discussion, that alone should be a big :no_entry: for you, so you can turn the other way before you end up in one of the threads you don’t enjoy.

However…seeing as you’re not the only one who keeps saying this, yet still stumbles into these threads and posting about your opinion of the thread creation, not necessarily the issue at hand, it does seem like you do get some form of entertainment out of it that other threads can’t quite do the same…:wink:

Whatever floats your boat, really. We’re gonna be here for a while longer though depending on whats gonna happen, so i suggest to fasten your seatbelt.

If you’re fine with layering… well, as of now, that’s Blizzards chosen plan, so you can sit back and relax until they release the game in this state, while people like us can talk about layering until we’re done with it.
If layering is such a great plan in Blizzards mind, they won’t listen to us anyway, and push it through to release.

5 Likes

Yet people are using authentic experience as counter argument to layering.

It is asking for impossible. Subscriptions will have massive jump at start then huge dip few months later. There is nothing authentic about that. Choose one: experience without layering or dead realms. Neither is authentic experience.

Thus using authentic experience as counter argument to layering means player has no thinking capability and just throws buzzwords around like it means something.

I guess you forgot about server merges and you aren’t aware of dead servers. Also that subscription drop was accompanied by subscription rise when expansion was released. So population increased then decreased. Its a completely different situation.

2 Likes

But they do. That’s why they added layering.

Or by “Bliz doesn’t care” you mean they don’t scrap layering because of few vocal posters? That’s because anti-layering crowd has no alternative solution. Come up with alternative solution and you’ll have something to discuss.

3 Likes

I don’t get it… Why are people so against spell batching when there were threads with thousands of posts asking for it to be brought back? And then blizzard did so and now it’s a “terrible technical solution” lul

2 Likes

My point is lots of people asked for lots of things, they ignored all of it, the only vanilla requests they paid attention to were those that requires tech solutions, something blizzard has been obsessed about for years now.

If they are so passionate about recreating spell batching and leeway mechanics then they should be just as passionate about delivering an authentic AV, removing x realm bgs or implementing progressive itemization, but they aren’t, they don’t care about these things at all.

The whole point of my post wasn’t to debate what should be in the game, but to point out most blizz developers are more interested in coming up with in game tech solutions than actual game development and how this has negativity affected the game as a whole over the years, not just in regards to vanilla.

3 Likes

Alternative solution, we stop being babies who throw a tantrum because we don’t get what we want immediately, we understand launch is gonna be chaos for a week but also comprehend how everything will be also be fine and back to normal in a week, so this is nothing to worry about and plan accordingly.

Also if I’m so hopelessly addicted that I have to take 2 weeks off work so I can play a video game and my biggest worry is there will be to many players getting in the way of me speed leveling I should recognize I am the one with the problem and I should probably seek some serious help.

Addicts and idiots want layering, I don’t know how anyone would prefer 4 months of layering over an easily avoidable week of chaos at launch, your all insane.

5 Likes

Not really. Pretty simple: provide vanilla with no changes.

3 Likes

Read their full post, they literally think you want some sought of experience only a time machine could provide.

I don’t know why so many idiots assume this, it comes up all the time, when we say we mean we want the authentic experience, it just means we want the authentic game to play.

We’ll make our own fun today, these clowns actually think we’re somehow asking for a MIB mind eraser pen scenario, I don’t get know how they reach this conclusion, but it’s a result of the mental gymnastics vanilla haters go through.

3 Likes