Should there be more casual content on retail wow?

It used to be before the queue up random dungeon finder thing existed.

The level squish tells me we have a lot more expansions to go. It’s not dying. Has it changed? Sure. It has to. But it’s far from dying.

At least this isn’t another Lilithia Sylvanas butt kissing thread.

Of course WoW is dying. We’re literally going to the death world. We’re all dying.

1 Like

Peak times in legion and classic show it can be successful. Bfa and shadowlands prove the opposite.

Well I left that judgement to Blizzard as this thread got removed but now it’s back, so for me that makes me feel they are listening to some of my concerns about the game, that I want a reason to keep logging in, and the ability to do some more casual content should help with that.

The guild/player housing suggestion I made was just one option, another option might be to have more balanced story line content, like at the moment, we literally have nothing at end-game except the final raid for months on end, as most of us have done the war campaign and other things.

Which by the way I would like to say I really enjoyed the war campaign, particularly the story of Thomas Zelling, I think that was masterfully done, and very good part of the lore.

I do agree with some of what you are saying that part of the problem might be a personal one, that I am not getting any younger, so I might be becoming a bit of a dinosaur stuck in the past wanting the glory days to come back, but if I was to be very honest a big problem at the moment is actually how Classic has divided up a lot of my wow friends as a lot of them are over there playing that and not on retail at all, maybe they will get sick of classic and come back for Shadowlands I don’t know.

People keep repeating this. I’ve been a forum regular for a long time, and I am not seeing it.

I suppose if you consider any and every sort of criticism of Blizzard by a tiny minority of forumgoers the moral equivalent of everyone saying wow has died, but I don’t. Nobody actually says that.

Because your passion for the World of Warcraft erodes, it does not mean the game is dying. You should not focus on things you don’t have in game. And what people think or do should not affect you.

(If player housing is your thing, for example, and WoW does not offer it then simply find another game, don;t ask Blizzard to implement it. WoW should not be a collection of all the other games, imo.)

The game is also changing, not everyone like changes.
Blizz created Classic for Nostalgia and because some enjoy it.

Simply focus on the fun part of the game for you.

There is many reasons a person may choose to play solo player content which is a form of casual content. In this thread you can read some of those reasons.

Ontop of what is described in that thread, when it comes to general casual content. It’s the most important part of the game. You can only use one raid a week then it’s locked out. So that may cover a few hours a day for 1-3 days. What do you do with the other 6-4 days? Just do mythic+? Casual content is needed for everyone it works like the time off between raids. It also provides additional income to Blizzard from people who don’t like the high end content. Allowing them to make better content for those that do enjoy it.

4 Likes

Just read this from the post you linked. I wish more people still had that perspective.

As a solo player i personally want more content devoted to it. But i also worry that in catering to players like me it diminishes the wider game and kills the experience that sucked me in all those years ago for new and returning players. I really empathise with his perspective.

2 Likes

There is plenty of casual content

Name all then casual content in 8.3 then (after you’ve got your cloak)

Im totally down with Hazelnutty’s position on this (being an ESO player as well). No power aspect at all to player housing.

Just a nice little house you can buy. And decorate. And phased.

Actually, it probably makes a decent thread. I wont do it, because im overly yappy and struggle to edit into salient points.

But imagine this:

Blizzard design 100 or so housing plots around the world.
Deeds drop like ye olde legendaries (random mobs) and in elite content (plus 10 mds or bosses in heroic raids (incentives!)). Theyre BoE and can be sold on the AH (this HAS to be a feature of it to encourage as much uptake as possible).

Prices will of course be insane initially, but will come down as more duplicates exist.

The point here is threefold: First, this is classic casual content (that doesnt mean its SOLELY for casuals, just that it has no actual power benefits). Second, it acts as an incentive for players to move into more hardcore content. And third, it acts as an incentive for players to do world content and build up their gold to buy out those lots.

This is step 1.

Step 2: Professions have a tonne of new recipes for decorating your house. Again, its pure cosmetics. Now professions have a second revenue stream outside of power progression. Not only this, but it lasts throughout the course of multiple expansions. Making a solid wooden alchemist table in expansion 1 will always be an option for players even if theres a far more elaborate table requiring more resources in expansion 3.

And here’s what i really like about it… this is solo player content that doesnt impact the wider design philosophy of the game. It also has a little incentive to pull players out of the solo game (having your deed drop in mythic tens might just encourage solo players to break out of their comfort zone in a way that perhaps gear doesnt).

Sure, resources need to be devoted to this. And those resources could be spent elsewhere. But this is pure living world, avatar permanence stuff enriching the experience of all players. And that does keep players subbing.

1 Like

You mean like 90% of the game isn’t enough? People are pugging heroic raids these days. Pretty much the only thing hardcore players have is mythic raids, high tier mythic+ keys and high end rated PvP.

The casual content would be all the daily/weekly quests you can grind or making new alts to repeat the process.

It’s so weird. I remember playing Vanilla and all there was to do was grind professions stuff, dungeons, PvP, or raid at the end game and I kept myself entertained everyday. I never got bored.

More content like suramar pls

Only if transmog is the same as Barbie dress up.

It’s called adding an instant catch-up mechanic for alts on your account.

It’s not hard

We do need more casual content since SL would be gated again and i don’t know about you guys but that’ll get pretty boring after the 20th time in a week.

lol word.

Covenants will be like raiderio v2, separate the casuals from the elitists.