Should TBC be a fresh start?

That’s… extremely ignorant. TBC adds the BE/Dranei zones (which can get you to 20) and expands dustwallow marsh (helpful in the 30s).

The rest of the game is literally classic leveling, which anyone playing classic has just done.

Asking people who want to play TBC to mandatorily level a new character from scratch is asking them to play about 35ish levels of classic, and while it’s a bit faster than it is now it’s still a ridiculous wait to play the game you signed up for.

Some form of transfer is needed in order for the game to actually succeed. And in my opinion, it doesn’t make sense to make it arbitrarily meaner than it was in classic. No one stepping through the dark portal lost professions, that’s simply asinine.

No matter how you phrase it. It is different. It is not classic. Childish words cannot change that.

That is not what I said. Moving from one game to another is not the same as stepping through the portal. Nice try tho.

1 Like

It was the same back in 2007. You’ve yet to provide a compelling argument as to why it should be different now.

No one stepped through any Portal, in Cata.

No, it is not the same. They did not make classic back then. It was vanilla. Vanilla went on to expansions yes. Classic was created for the people who wanted vanilla. The 1-60 level. It was created for what we have now. Show me where a developer says they are going to create TBC, or Wrath. It is not the same because people wanted classic now to stay classic. sure there are people that want BC. That is fine, I would love TBC as well. But not at the expense of Classic. TBC should be treated the same as how Classic was treated. Its own stand alone game with its own community. Fresh start and all. I think many people that want the transfer are the people that have horded gold and items through layering abuse and want to carry the spoils over to TBC. I do not want that. YMMV

1 Like

Ya, I have, you just refuse to see it. I feel like I am talking to an empty chair.

2 Likes

A whole lot of reeee going on in this thread.

Irrelevant, the topic is about what should happen if they decide to do it. It doesn’t make sense to come in and argue they’ll never do it, or have no plans to do it, the question is about if they do decide to do it.

I don’t agree that your suggestions “allow classic to stay classic”. No one (or at least not I) is arguing for a forced transition. Classic servers should still exist unchanged.

If you really want TBC to be treated the same as classic was treated, then your position should allow for level 60 characters with gold and gear and professions on day 1. That’s what happened the first time.

I sympathise the most with the last argument, the hoarded gold and items. But I have to admit, there were people who did that in vanilla as well (through obviously different means than phasing). If blizzard wasn’t going to remove their gold IN classic, in the game that ALREADY EXISTS, then it’s not fair to expect them to do it with TBC. The move would hurt everybody there, most of whom did not exploit anything.

1 Like

No, it shouldn’t because TBC overrode Vanilla. It didn’t appear as a separate server option. As a separate server option, no one came in with maxed toons, just like Classic.

At least, there’s no Copy & Paste Characters from Classic to Standard.

1 Like

If you notice, in my post, I said its my opinion. Its hard to argue an opinion, but you keep on trying. Take it or leave it, its what I think.

See, you are coming from the standpoint that the game will proceed from the classic to TBC in the same client. I already addressed that. If they do that lots of people will just quit.

I, also, don’t know how Private Servers work, entirely. I do know both Nostraluis and Elysium came up with a deal, but are there Copy & Paste Character services from Vanilla Servers to TBC Servers, outside of Nostraluis and Elysium?

Genuine question.

No clue, never touched a private server.

I understand TBC would be it’s own set of servers with a seperate menu option. They don’t let you copy from classic to retail because there’s like 6 expansions of difference between the two. This is different, TBC came directly after classic. Apples and Oranges.

It’s not. Here, let’s take out the fact that it’ll be a TBC Server Option. Let’s call it a Wrath Server option. Hypothetically speaking, let’s say there was more of a demand for a Wrath Server Option than TBC.

We now have a Standard Server Option, Classic (Vanilla) Server Option and Wrath Server option. Does it still make sense for not Copy & Pasting our Classic Characters to Wrath?

I wouldn’t personally use it. but it would make sense, yes. The main reason they don’t allow it for retail is that they’ve changed so much the code would require significant work to transfer. Items are different and have been removed, squished, stats removed, set bonuses deactivated, etc.

Heck I’d say the argument is stronger here. With no character copy, fresh characters would start at level 1, and have to play the entire classic and TBC levelling before they got to play the product they signed up for. That’s a terrible deal!

If they make TBC or Wrath servers, then people will want to be playing TBC or Wrath content, right away. Not classic.

Not really. Main reason is to keep Classic and Standard separate.

Not really because there’s still BC stuff that’s accessible prior to hitting level 60. Guild Banks, level in Draenei/Belf lands, Class changes, etc.

No, they want that version of the game. DKs still have to plow through BC content.

Only way what you’re thinking will work is to override “Vanilla”.

Was this hypothetical not about Wrath? How does TBC content invalidate my statement? I explicitly mentioned they would have TBC content.

DKs would be locked until the level requirement is met, which with no transfers would also require leveling through the expansions. Either 60 or 70 to unlock IIRC.

Seems like a lot of work before you even get to play the game you wanted to. Transfers would avoid this.

No, your argument was

That’s when I said this:

Guild Banks are BC Content, Draenei and Belves are BC Content. At the very least a perk.

You don’t need to be level 60, plowing through Outlands, in order to access this.

No, you said:

Outlands (at least in your opinion “TBC Leveling”) is not all of BC.

Fair. Better example, Duel-Specs and Achievements. Don’t need to be in Northrend for that.

No because you’re playing that version, of the Game.

My mistake, I thought we were talking about your hypothetical where they released Wrath servers would we allow transfers from classic servers still. Hence your they still have TBC content argument throwing me for a loop.

I guess the crux of our disagreement is that you consider it enough to be playing on the patch associated with the expansion; whereas I consider being able to take a previous character into the new content vital to the experience. I don’t think we can reach a consensus here; the views are fundamentally different. Agree to Disagree, I suppose.

2 Likes

I think any other game should be a fresh start. Every past version of WoW included levels 1 to max. No version was intended only for max-level players.

If there is enough player interest to convince Blizzard to create TBC, it does not come from Vanilla players who want to “move on”. People have been playing Vanilla for 15 years. They prefer that game. They don’t want to move on to another game.

And I accept this.

1 Like