Should TBC be a fresh start?

If Blizzard chooses to open TBC servers instead of Classic+, should they be fresh servers where everyone has to start from scratch? Or should you be able to copy over your character from Classic?

Definitely a lot of pros and cons for both.

1 Like

You should be able to copy your characters just like how TBC was where you continued your level 60.

36 Likes

Yes.

I don’t really like TBC version of priest anyway, so I would definitely reroll.

4 Likes

I like the idea of a fresh restart…but like a month or 6 weeks in advance so people have time to level up and be 60 when the TBC launches.

2 Likes

Why do people assume there will be TBC?

This movement was always about Classic. If you want TBC/WotLK go ask about it on the general forum. In terms of design philosophy TBC and focus is by no means the same(such as flying, arenas, etc), so it is by no means a “logical continuation” of Classic.

10 Likes

I don’t think anyone here is suggesting there will be a TBC or that there should be. Just speculating on how a transition could be handled.

4 Likes

I originally wanted this. Now I don’t. Here’s why:

We always moved on from our home server for expansions, so I feel this should be the same. Perhaps we should be able to take as snapshot of our toon before we take that next step. This snapshot would then be dumped into a server that’s a preservation of Classic. Those who want to keep going with the old content can, and they wouldn’t have to reroll their toon (though guilds will likely need to reform.)

Simply allowing folks to copy their toons to TBC would probably completely kill the Classic servers.

1 Like

you will not know for 1.5 years.

1 Like

In an ideal world, you’d be able to “clone” your character and save state one to Classic and one to whatever TBC ends up being called.

The characters would not be able to interact in any way as they’d be on different servers, but this way you don’t necessarily fracture the community as much?

10 Likes

The reason people assume there will be a TBC gets repeated quite often is because Blizz said it would be relatively easier to do now that they have the groundwork for classic, and that it would be up to the fan base as to if they would do something. So here is the fanbase showing their support that they want TBC. It is considered logical continuation of classic, as it was specifically the next expansion of Vanilla so directly BC was the logical continuation of vanilla, and would be so for Classic.

Now to the OP:
I would be opposed with forcing a fresh start due to the length of time it takes to level/gear a character. Most of the consensus from the customer base is leaving classic on classic servers to appease that fanbase, while allowing character transfers from Classic to the new BC servers to appease the BC fanbase. Now some will be upset at this option as they feel it would kill classic, to that I say if Classic doesn’t have a big enough of a draw to maintain it’s fanbase than it deserves to be shut down eventually. I feel Blizz would continue to merge Classic servers until only a handful or less are full. If they continue to drop in customers then servers will continue to be removed until all gone. Such is the life of any MMO though.

8 Likes

a F R E S H TBC server (everybody is level 1, all level 60 raids are already unlocked) would be a nice option, but I’m gonna just march my existing characters through that Dark Portal

The ideal scenario is a replication of current servers, copied as is, to a TBC platform.

Fresh wouldn’t be authentic to the original launch.

Character copies to new servers would not work at all.

6 Likes

Yes, fresh start. To much has happend in classic for people gaming the system. No gold carryover, or mass farmed items from layering.

3 Likes

no way. Just give the option to copy.

1 Like

God no. There are only cons and hardly any pros to starting over. Tired of a few vocal minorities complaining about the economy. If people have to start over thousands of people will quit WoW.

I say upgrade all current servers to TBC and offer a copy to new classic servers. The majority of the player base will want to contiue to play TBC. This allows people to keep their names and contiue to play with their old guildies and friends they have made on the server.

8 Likes

You all are not prepared!

2 Likes

This is why I feel that the current servers should carry on as TBC servers. If folks want to preserve their Classic toon, they should be able to copy it over to a server that’s dedicated to Classic only. We might not need the creation of a new server for this, either. Perhaps they could designate one of the low-pop/dying servers for this purpose (which would help boost said server!)

2 Likes

It is because it followed vanilla. Content in the expansion is irrelevant.

Who cares its years away enjoy classic as it is now

2 Likes

Tbc in general will kill classic. They’d need only like 2-3 servers for classic.

2 Likes