Should GDKP be banned now?

While its possible to dole out loot that quickly, some loot councils (like ours) will gather a collection of gear to make the most informed decisions/benefit the raid the most out of the pool of gear. Even if you talk about who gets what beforehand (which we do) its not always black and white. It would be a mistake to put loot on a 5 min window in the current landscape of raiding.

Every single person who participates in GDKPs buys gold via RMT, dont let anyone tell you otherwise, especially individuals in this very thread who are lying through their teeth. GDKP should have been a perma-bannable offense a long, long time ago, and the fact that it hasnt been banned is the #1 reason why we now have the token - enjoy.

4 Likes

citation needed.

Got one! This is too easy.

Fixed that for you.

2 Likes

Cool story bro

Only way to fix this is to do personal loot.

But then you’ll piss all normal guild groups.

Blizzard tried that, Blizzard also admitted it was a mistake.

It would have gone better if they loosened up those crap drop rates they put in since some complained about how loot “rained from the skies” in BFA.

Personal loot and crap drop rates…had that experiment setup for failure imo.

The mistake Blizzard was to disable master looter for guild groups. Since groups are cross-realm on retails, it could have prevented a lot of issues.

Wouldn’t work in classic to do that since people would just join a guild for the gdkp and leave.

I am fine with GDKPs, let people enjoy the game the way they want, I do it the normal way and it’s fine too… it’s a lot more rewarding to run a regular gdkp group than any pug group since nobody leaves and you always get something… but people always fixate on the buying part of it for some reason.

I´ve seen a flare being sold for 130k at week in ulduar.
Bought my mage a flare for 90k.

Problem is that people really dont realize how to get their share of the insane amount of gold that is circulated on the megarealms.
Making ~20k a week just through AH is pretty easy.

The general problem is not GDKP, the general problem is botting.
Wotlk added a lot of goldgains for everyone in general, pushing the total amount of gold in circulation to an insane amount just by itself

Everyone can calculate the influx on available gold that occured just through naxx 10man bossgold drops for their own realm by themselves via warcraftlogs.

On top of that is the influx of raw gold bots - and this is a huge one.
Most bots nowadays do not farm herbs or ores anymore, since they get banned to fast while out in the openworld, and stick to rawgold farming in dungeons (botanica for example).

This gold enters the market, and in the end eithers ends in the hands of the players who buy it, or via redistribution of trade and gdkp in the hands of players who know how to make gold.

Trading is something that is hugely underestimated when it comes to bought gold in my opinion.
If i flip gems, and suddenly a gem worth ~8gold is being sold for 40g, and theres ~200 of those gems being sold till the prices stabilize, that means theres up to 200 people buying gems because they do not care about their spendings at all. Is the gold those people spend in the auction house from DM jump runs ? From dailys ? Or from RMT ?
I dont know, and i dont care. Im making the profit, then spend it in Gdkps.

A buddy of mine is preparing his stock for ICC release (hes a warrior, so he will need insane amount of gold for smourne) He does one big flip each week, and currently sits at around 900k gold.

So no matter how you look at it, the only “solution” is preventing bots from happening, which is basically impossible, or alternatively changing the economy to either do not require gold at all, or reducing the amount of gold drastically via big gold sinks.

Funny enough, if you are a seasoned GDKP player since TBC, chances are high that gold is absolutely worthless for you atm, and there would be barely a difference between GDKP and just DKP in your raids at all.

Very good post. I also agree that making gold in this expansion is extremely easy. I have stated over and over that i have never bought gold. However, as you pointed out, i am sure that much of the sales i was able to get are from players that have bought gold. Its that way for everyone also.

I bought the mount with the vendors on it and at the time i was hesitant because i didnt want to spend that much gold. But the more i thought about it, WHAT THE HELL ELSE WOULD I DO WITH THAT GOLD? I was earning gold and the amount of gold i had jept slowly going up and up and up and i seriously could not think of amything current or future that i would spend it on. Maybe epic flying for my gazillion alts?

But it was then that i realized, if i have all this gold and im not really trying, and there are ppl that complain about not having gold, the only explanation could be that it was because i played a lot more and didnt throw my money around in silly gambling games and i bought what ever i needed when prices were low. And then i saw that gdkp was a loot system that rewarded ppl like me and gave me an advantage over the raid loggers. The more i thought about it, i realized, gdkp is the perfect loot system. It just needs a way to catxh gold buyers.

this.

People often dont realize that non gold buying gdkp players are adamantly against gold buyers, since thats basically the same thing as someone getting cheated dkp in a dkp based raid.

Im pretty lucky, since my GDKP´s are 90% by the same organizer, and we´ve established a system since ulduar where most of the runs is basically the same players out of a pool of around 30-40 players and their alts.
Its nice for reliable quick clearruns, prevents weird onetime characters with suspiciously high amounts of gold, allows for new alt gearing during the end of a content phase, and the gold spend is basically only circulating through the same pool of players anyway.
We are currently honestly thinking about switching the loot model to a dkp instead of a gdkp in 10 mans next phase, or alternatively just running without any lootsystem, since 10 mans tend to be the same 10 people more or less each week anyway on the specific times of the week.

Not a fan of banning player organized activies like a GDKP. I don’t run GDKPs, but I support them being able to exist. There’s zero reason to ban something that has been around for a very long time and to this day people spend gold buying runs in Retail from the top raid guilds.

1 Like

Yes if it is the same 10 then its not really that competitive or whatever. One thing i run into a lot is that my guild is constantly need to have 3-pugs. Different pugs each week. They are good ppl. I dont have anything against pugs. I like to be able to collect off spec. If we had the same guild members week after week, eventually i would get the off spec pieces. But because we have pugs og the same class, i dont get to roll because it is thier mainspec and my offspec. Next week its a new pug and it happens again. The part that i dont like about it is that i know some of these pugs are just alts from players in other guilds. Gdkp solves this. Or at least makes that gear within reach.

no way gdkp get banned they are an approved way of moving gold in wow its economy.

There are almost as many if not more GDKP raids on Benediction than there are guild raids.

My discord hosts almost fifty 25 man raids, almost all of our raids are under 2.5 hours (some are under 2 hours) and 9/9 HM +Alg Clears, several weekly 0 light clears. Apparently this is better than majority of guilds on benediction in terms of clear time.

I see us being a net benefit since gdkp raids are the main way people want to raid on their alts.

The Only way to BAN GDKP is to remove GOLD from the game. You never get gold , never buy stuff , no AH, no gold transactions at all. Then you give gear at the start of each patch.

You give ULD HM gear when ULD patch was release, then you increase the difficulty of the raids. Then people only need to raid for achievement and mounts.

you have it backwards. remove gdkps and the value of gold plummets.

personal loot would kill most.

the classic community has proven it’s way too toxic to distribute loot

“The players that would log in for raids and then not be seen from again until next raid would not have the gold to outbid.”

What’s wrong with raiding like that? Assuming those players take enough time to farm their own flasks and enchants, etc.

I would rather log in for other activities, and use my imba raid loot to pwn noobs, but I don’t see a problem.

1 Like