Should characters age, retire, and die?

Bwahahah, unless I get really sick I got a few thousand years ahead of me! No retiring for me!

As long as you stay away from any giant trees, you should be fine.

Too soon… Too soon.

What about DKs, who don’t age, or DHs, who have an immortal demon soul?

2 Likes

Die?

Of old age even?

Ha!

No, not with all the succubus “blood” I’m drinking.

Definitely not going to die of old age.

I don’t believe you’re actually qualified to suggest treatment for anyone’s mental health or emotional maturity.

1 Like

i hate to break this to you but this isn’t d&d.

How would that work in WoW?

1 year in real time = 1 year in game time (with exceptions being made for the 1000 years that Turalyon and Alleria spent in the Nether and the 30+ years spent in the AU after the portals closed, where we did see Grommash age considerably).

So… our characters age as we do, that means they retire at 50 when I’m in my 60s/70s? Yeah I’m not even sure if WoW will be a thing by then. It may be, but then again it may not be.

1 Like

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/becoming-pregnant/528874

1 Like

Jesus christ this. This cannot possibly be overstated.

I don’t want to lose a character that I’ve spent the better part of THIRTEEN YEARS playing.

I can see a generational MMO work if its designed as such from day 1. The great thing about it theoretically, it can have romance/family content similar to mass effect and some RTS games. If anything the romance/relationship content is what keeps me coming back to mass effect.

I can see it doing well in an mmo setting. Just choose which toon you want to play and just pass the gear down the generational line.

They will die. When we do.

Only if we can have kids that we can control. Retirement options include politics, leading armies, or just opening an inn for adventurers and maybe giving quests.

1 Like

This is how I play too, this guy is my og druid. Even though he’s been race changed a billion times it’s still the original same character and I just enjoy that.

Same with like The Sims… the generational/super family stuff is so boring to me when I can make a vampire dude that does everything amazing and never dies.

People wont want all the stuff they’ve done to a character to become irrelevant because their character dies of old age or something. And i think that anything you do that allows players to keep their progress/gear/mounts and let it carry over to their offsprings sorta just makes the system pointless.

Its a feature that works in some genres but i dont think it would work in MMO’s.

Absolutely not.

The only reason this game is still active right now is because players are attached to their characters and their achievements.

1 Like

Sounds pointless.

Even though I’m probably more pro-freedom I still like the train of thought here.

The question is would it make the min-maxers come to the table, be a digital culling of them, or would it just embolden them?

Anyway judging by the responses you definitely hit some truths there.

Are you wanting to play Sims?

Yes, but as long as my character can procreate so I can continue playing the ‘same’ character, but with a different name.

Would be kinda if cool if worked in properly.