Sharing accounts needs better terms of use

A lot of things in life are like that though, however unfortunate that might be. You don’t realise something is a problem until you see it for yourself. And then you might decide to do something about it.

I can certainly take the feedback on board that I need to do this in a different place. And I will. Thanks,

I can appreciate your want to help your friend, just because I’m blunt and to the point doesn’t mean I don’t feel bad for the situation that you are in due to their poor choices. They are of course welcome to appeal their sanction, depending on their history perhaps they might lessen the time-out, perhaps not. We aren’t privy to all of that.

I do wish you and he all the best, however things turn out.

3 Likes

Due to my background I am a “how to prevent this from happening again”. Here is info to consider next time friend wants to give it a try.

What is the World of Warcraft Starter Edition?

The Starter Edition is a free version of World of Warcraft. It allows gamers to try out the game before they buy it. It comes with limitations on the content you can play and does not allow you to level your character above level 20. However, you can upgrade from a Starter to a full account at any point to keep all the progress you made.

How do I get the World of Warcraft Starter Edition?

Getting Starter Edition access is simple. You can begin by going to worldofwarcraft.com and clicking the “Try Free” link at the top of the page. This will take you to a screen that will download the game. After launching the downloaded file, your computer should pull up a login screen where you can sign into an existing Blizzard account. There is also an option to “Create a free Blizzard Account” on the login screen. Creating a Blizzard account is mandatory to play World of Warcraft, even for the Starter Edition.

5 Likes

I understand your frustrations, but I just want to say you’re not doing yourself any favors by breaking Blizz’s CoC, FYI. We’re not supposed to be talking about account actions via the forums nor advocate the overturning of someone else’s account actions, either.

One poster here already expressed what you needed to do. Take this to the in-game suggestion ticket system (which I can never find) or the General Discussion forum (if you can take the heat here, you’ll do fine, over there). There’s really nothing that can be done, here (on these CS forums).

So you acknowledge that your friend broke the rules, yet don’t think he should be punished.

If everyone agrees that your friend violated the EULA by sharing his account, what exactly do you believe needs to be reviewed?

No, you end up with cheaters leaving the game, and I think most other players are fine with that.

3 Likes

A 6 month ban for trying out a priest, makes me think your friend isn’t sharing the full details with you. Ultimately though, there’s no information you can get here, and account security is more sacred than you believe, so no account sharing policy doesn’t need to change.

13 Likes

That is not really a good representation of what is going on. Blizzard has free ways for players to try the game and classes. It does not hurt their bottom line - they make nothing of that.

Account sharing is an account security issue, largely - and a legal issue when it comes to holding an account responsible for actions on it.

Blizzard needs to be able to enforce their EULA, a contract. That contract needs to be between one adult and Blizzard. Not one adult and any number of others they share with. Being able to hold one adult responsible for account actions and violations of the contract are important, esp when removing access due to breaking the contract.

Secondary to that, is that Blizzard does repair damage in the case of a compromise. They have to be able to PROVE that though - and account sharing muddles any of that. Yes, people can be vindictive and damage/delete things on an account. There is also the issue of divorce or breakups. Blizzard is not going to get involved in any of that. It is far easier to specify one adult and no account sharing.

Even for kids, Blizzard recommends a new Bnet account in the adult’s name that only the kid plays. Set up Parental Controls, etc. That ensures anything done on it does not impact the parent, parental controls don’t impact the parent, and when the child is old enough it gets put in their name. All mounts, pets, achievements, heirlooms, transmogs etc are Bnet account bound, so it ensures the child keeps all those too.

13 Likes

I think this horse has been beaten to death now.

Blizzard is not going to allow or make changes to allow account sharing.

/thread

This thread still up?

1 Like

I don’t doubt what you may have been told, Twyll, but generally speaking it feels like an unlikely scenario. Someone jumping on a character to test out a class for PvP is unlikely to result in that kind of action. Unless by “testing” they are actually spending a good deal of time on that character and possibly “testing” the ranking system to boost their cousin.

That kind of behavior is what usually results in a 6 month suspension. Not usually a quick “oh I want to check this out” scenario.

No, things absolutely can change, in areas that make sense. Adding weird stipulations to who can access the account, for how long and what conditions, seems like it would lend itself to confusing what may or may not be allowed. We want to keep policies simple, so they are easily understood.

Only the registered user on the account may access the account. The only exception is that the registered user may allow a minor child, that they are the parent or legal guardian, access.

It really is best for General Discussion as you are requesting a change to game policy, which is entirely in the hands of the Game Development Team.

Given the back and forth so far, it would probably best to create a new thread. I’m going to lock this one up. Good luck.

16 Likes