Sharing accounts needs better terms of use

Dunno I ain’t blizz. They can do what they want to.

1 Like
  1. This forum is more like an information desk directing people where to go for assistance. They do not take suggestions and do not pass info along to the devs. There is an in-game suggestion feature under the help menu that routes suggestions directly to the devs for consideration.
  2. You have no dog in this fight. Account actions are between Blizzard and the person who holds the account. You cannot appeal on their behalf. You have no status regarding the issue and Blizz won’t discuss it with you.
  3. The only way an action can be overturned is by the person named as the account holder submitting an appeal ticket. The appeal process is not a court of law where someone gets to argue their case. It involves a different Blizzard employee looking at the logs to see if the ToU has been broken. It either has or it hasn’t. There are no extenuating circumstances.
  4. If your friend has been playing for years, They are aware of the dangers inherent in account sharing. They chose to take the risk, sounds like they lost.
17 Likes

No your friend thinking he was above the rules and they dont apply to him is what got him into trouble. This is why account sharing is bad.

ex bf/gf share a account bad breakup SO deletes all toons and sells off there gear and what not.

ex2 2 friends share a account friend B goes into bg and starts mouthing off now the whole account is silenced/acctioned whos fault is it original account holder for not folowing the no account sharing rules.

2 Likes

Thank you Nok - this is a fair reply.

I am advocating for policy change. I don’t think the devs design policy but I could be wrong and am happy to try elsewhere.

To be clear I understand current TOS and I appreciate what he did was wrong. I just think the current ToS is too harsh.

Well never say never but im pretty sure this is 100% not gona change your friend can apeal and hope they lower the punishment theres a better chance of that then a policy thats as old as wow.

Any sugestions here basicly get lost to the maw general or ingame suggestion feature is the best place for this.

I’m neutral on it but I don’t really see how it could be effective without sticking to the letter of the law/ToU.
It’s easy to view it as too harsh but beyond my capacity to say how to make it more lenient yet still remain effective.

If you have any thoughts on that, include them with your feedback/suggestion.

3 Likes

Unfortunately the rules are the rules. And the rules state that under no consideration are accounts to be shared between other people, with the one exception being for a SINGLE child in your direct care that you have guardian powers over.

Your friend broke the rules. They dont discriminate with the punishments. its the same for everyone.

Edited to add - the policy doesnt need to be changed. The thing is, in account sharing, the policy is very black and white because the punishment needs to be consistent across the board. How long youve played, how much money your poured into the game, how many accounts you have have zero impact on a rule like this. Weather your a 10 year veteran or a brand new player. If you account share, you suffer the same punishment. When you introduce multiple variables and instances then it does several things such as making the appeal process and account action process take more time and be less efficent. It also opens up to people to try and lawyer their way out of things and when you make exceptions to one you need to make it to all because again, regardless, no one is any more or less special and important than anyone else. Keeping a policy like this rigid means there is more consistency in the customer and company experience. Which is a good thing.

3 Likes

He’s not contesting that rules were broken and punishment is warranted.
His concern is regarding the severity of the punishment as applied to this, and similar, cases and it’s a valid opinion to have.

4 Likes

Well i supose the othe alternative was to close the account completly but they decided on a velvet glove aproach.

Considering this was a 6 month suspension this tells me you account may have had other actions against it previously. Now this may not be the case however certainly possible. We do know blizzard has been known to increase account actions for repeat offenders.

3 Likes

It keeps the punishment consistent. So people cant lawyer themselves out of it.

We dont know the account history or what actually was going on behind the scenes, Blizz does.

2 Likes

I’ll bet he won’t share his account again, will he? Nor will you be tempted to. So, lesson learned. The punishment has done what it is meant to do.

Means absolutely nothing. One of the great things about Blizzard is they treat all players equally and fairly. Someone who has been playing since Vanilla’s alpha is treated the same as someone who picked up the game two weeks ago. One would also go as far as to point out that hey - they’ve played this long now, surely they know the rules they agree to, right?

Take that up with your friend who broke the rules. This is their fault, no one else’s. Certainly not Blizzard’s.

You don’t have any place in that discussion. It is only between Blizzard and your friend. Nothing you do or say will do anything at all to help his case.

8 Likes

This is a very good summary, thank you.

Yup - that could be true. I am unsure though. Thank you.

Though this still doesn’t change my mind that the TOS regarding account sharing is quite harsh. I will think on this and submit a feature request if that’s the best path to go.

You kind of cherry picked here. I think Nok summarised this case best:

He’s not contesting that rules were broken and punishment is warranted.
His concern is regarding the severity of the punishment as applied to this, and similar, cases; and it’s a valid opinion to have.

I cherry picked key points because everything else I would have said has already been addressed by others. Those things, hadn’t yet been.

People have definitely railed against my friend for what he did, and that it was deserved. I don’t discount this opinion at all. But your reply wasn’t a new opinion. And didn’t address the core argument I was putting forward at all.

One person gets mad at the other and does something egregious to the account is the obvious reason. If Blizzard allowed account sharing, then they would have to support fixing any accounts that the reason I listed would cause. That would take man hours and money. They are in the habit of making money, not spending it frivolously for such things as fixing accounts for players who shared accounts.

As for your suggestion, you are posting in the wrong place for it to be seen by anyone who could make such changes to it. You would need to post in the General Discussion Forum where they do take suggestions and feedback.

5 Likes

“Family drama hurts Blizzard’s bottom line”… I actually wouldn’t doubt it :sweat_smile:

Thanks. Will do.

1 Like

You’re missing the part entirely that this isn’t the place for your argument. You’ve been given the proper venues for your feedback and suggestions.

What I pointed out was the point that you have absolutely no part to play in what transpires between your friend and Blizzard. You can’t speak on their behalf, you cannot get them unbanned or their punishment lessened. You can make a generalized suggestion (again, in the proper places), but that is really it. That part I hadn’t seen brought up in all of the other back and forth.

There are no GMs here, there are no Devs here on this forum. None at all. Our SFAs do not pass along information. So you’re preaching and trying to validate your thoughts and feelings to us, your fellow players. And since your friend broke the rules, as you’ve readily admitted to, you’re not going to find too much sympathy here. And to be fair? You likely wouldn’t care about this policy in the slightest except that your friend got burned and you don’t have your play buddy anymore.