Sharding alternatives

I think what people are missing out on is the lack of control with sharding.

Even if you’re in same group, you can be sharded out in retail. The system doesn’t work right.

Then you add in free accounts. Just about everyone has a free WoW account. If we have them in Classic, and we have sharding, players could use these alt accounts to force additional shards to be created for certain zoness, and then mass farm content that shouldn’t be mass farmed to gain an advantage over the rest of the server.

Other exploits for sharding, I’m not sure. But I’m not the devious type. Others will find a way.

And some players plan to be max level in a week. So the whole only sharding at launch thing could still break economies for months.

1 Like

It’ll take WAY longer than a week to level up to 60 unless you’re somehow capable of not eating, drinking, sleeping, using the toilet, showering, anything hygienic or good for your health for that period of time.

Yeah, I know, but some players are saying 6 days.

you see the video of the guy who was invited to group on demo, he accepted the invite and instead of grouping him, the sharding server sharded him ?

Then they are grossly uninformed.

or the video of the guy who was dueling in front of ogrimmar, the guy filming it decided he wanted to duel the winner. he challenged the winner and instead of putting them in a duel, the sharding server sharded the other guy?

I mean, that’s as young as something like 26. So I am just going to assume from now on you are 26.

1 Like

seems more conducive to a functional game, that if the devs want to use sharding to keep launch from being a fiasco, that they instead use it to create semi permanent server shards that can re-merge with their parent shard when the population evens out. i know i’m repeating myself but it doesnt sound like the current state of sharding is worth letting it control the population beyond that

oh bless you and the nightsaber you rode in on!

1 Like

Heh, think nothing of it. My mom claimed to be 25 for at least 15 years. Well past the point of it being impossible for her to be that age.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is missing out on this. The thing is though they said it was only for the starting areas. One can assume at the very max this is 1-12. You don’t need a group for these and even if you do, this can be done in a matter of hours.

A couple hours of pain is well worth a healthy population for the servers long term life. And if it REALLY is that unacceptable you can just simply wait until it’s turned off and all is well.

What exactly are these players going to mass farm in starting areas that is going to cause any real damage that they wouldn’t be able to farm on an unsharded server? They kill extra kobolds? They get 10 extra copper ore? We aren’t talking about sharding areas with anything meaningful in them…

Even if they do, what are they going to farm that they wouldn’t be able to make more of a profit actually going into a higher level zone and farming? Even though it doesn’t have sharding in it.

I reall think you’re missing one of the biggest aspect here. They aren’t sharding the whole game. They are only sharding starting areas.

1 Like

And that’s if they even turn out to need sharding at all.

Honestly, the only thing that I know would at least help the load, which I know a lot of people are against is just simply adding a collectors edition that gives you the OG collectors edition goodies and gives you a week or a couple days early access.

I know people despise early access junk but me personally, I was fully expecting to pay full box price on classic. And now that it’s ‘free’ from a box price the majority of players I believe at the start aren’t going to be logging in very frequently… So giving a box price on it with early access will spread out the populations substantially.

me too. i’m assuming there’s some legal jargon in there somewhere. like international laws are different. one way the private servers in foregin countries have gotten away with not being shut down is arguing that the product is no longer available . once vanilla is remade, it’s available. could be a similar argument that charging for it, would be like charging for the same product twice. i’m speculating though, but you can imagine foreign countries manipulating loop holes in international laws regarding copyrights and what not, using those kinds of arguments.

That people should not trip over themselves before blurting out a new thread without checking to see if there are not already dozens of threads on the same subject.

DRAT

Trolling aside, that’s not what you’re asking for though whether your aware of it or not.

If blizzards plan pans out the way that they think it will, they need to have this necessary evil to make the game even playable for the first couple weeks in the starting areas.

So really, this feature is going to give you a truer classic experience and community in the long run compared to having that ‘true’ launch experience and then dead servers everywhere because they are ghost towns.

which is why my idea would work. since its just a shard anyway, the tech is already there to automatically re-merge it. the coders would just have to determine at what pop numbers the new shard should re-merge with the main shard its copied from and named after.

I myself chose not to report the OP for trolling (I reported it as spam)

But then you run into issues that Manhammer was talking about. The whole world would be sharded and people could actually take advantage of things like farming/gathering high level goods.

its just like being in a queue but you’re still able to do…oh wait, are you saying people deliberately creating new shards?