Shaman Tank

Posting here before my sub ends, and I'm still hoping for Shaman tanks.
1 Like
We can't get decent balance in the specs of shaman that do exist.
2 Likes
11/04/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Akston

I think they would remove enhance to do it.
11/04/2018 08:40 AMPosted by Hypnodumper

I would be so pissed. I have played enhancement since 1.0. This is my favorite spec, no matter how it fairs against other classes. I'm not one for "I quit" posts, I make fun of them a lot, but I would definitely stop playing. Not out of spite, I may stick around on my pally for a while, but from boredom. Every time I've taken a break from WoW, I get bored playing the class I was playing, and when I come back, it's always to enhancement.
2 Likes

Not necessarily! It's possible for Shaman to become a 4 spec class like Druids.
1 Like
Why would they even need to remove Enhancement or even Add a 4th spec to a shaman to make a Shaman tank? Enhancement already has all the necessary properties to be the Shaman tank class granted we would need to change somethings around however realistically Enhancement Shamans are pretty much set up already to make that tank switch. I for one would love to see Blizzard do this however we all know that they wont. The main Developer at Blizzard that actually cared about Shamans has gone into retirement and will not come back.
1 Like
This. A million times, this. I want to be able to tank on my Shaman.

This sort of talk has existed for a long time, and that shows the legitimate interest and I just pray that Blizzard will one day listen.

Not only is the concept/fantasy/lore already super easy to conceive (Just a shaman who utilizes the earth to ward himself from damage), but it's time that we get another class that can do all 4 roles. For a while, it made sense to only have 1 class (druid) that could do all 4, but we've since added DKs, Monks, and DHs. With the amount of classes we have now, I would say it's more than fair that a 2nd class be allowed to do all 4 roles.

I love the Shaman class as a whole, and certainly understand the "they can't even get the current specs balanced right" argument, but I'd still want to see the tank spec.
5 Likes
I have always wanted this. That would be the missing thing that makes the class complete for me. I always come back to the Shaman and there is that one little itch that doesn't seem to get scratched. I think this would do it.
1 Like
Prior to Vanilla they had intended that Shaman become tanks but it never happened. The original rockbiter increased aggro.
Shaman tanking is literally all I want. I'm 1000% behind this.

I envision using the earth element to make it happen. Not that there's any reason we couldn't utilize the other elements. Fire/lightning for threat, water for passive/active self heals, but I think earth makes the most sense in active mit. Maybe forming a stone shield out of the earth, or creating rock armor that is visible on your character. Can you imagine being the thing from the fantastic four?! Rock form whaaaaa lol

Every time this idea is brought up some salty !@# shaman troll works his/her way outta their bucket of tears and tiny violins to shut it down because of tuning. Tuning?! Come on man, I got after some ele/enhance in Legion and that shiz was fire. Things go around and they come around. Please stop being a debby. Do better at making shaman better.

Keep it up OP. Love it. I'm currently leveling a shaman on the classic demo to see how far I can push shaman tanking in vanilla. I know it isn't optimized but maybe one day in the future we'll be main tanking if you keep it up!
3 Likes
We have a term for that, we call it the Earth Warden spec.
1 Like
11/04/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Klowdywilde

I would be so pissed. I have played enhancement since 1.0. This is my favorite spec, no matter how it fairs against other classes. I'm not one for "I quit" posts, I make fun of them a lot, but I would definitely stop playing. Not out of spite, I may stick around on my pally for a while, but from boredom. Every time I've taken a break from WoW, I get bored playing the class I was playing, and when I come back, it's always to enhancement.

same, i would be devastated if they removed or severely changed enhancement. :'(
I would support Shammy Tanks if they were OP like Blood DK's.
Earth Wardens. I love it. And so it shall be..
3 Likes
11/04/2018 08:31 PMPosted by Jonathanreed
Why would they even need to remove Enhancement or even Add a 4th spec to a shaman to make a Shaman tank? Enhancement already has all the necessary properties to be the Shaman tank class granted we would need to change somethings around however realistically Enhancement Shamans are pretty much set up already to make that tank switch. I for one would love to see Blizzard do this however we all know that they wont. The main Developer at Blizzard that actually cared about Shamans has gone into retirement and will not come back.

The same reason bear and cat can't be in the same spec, balance. Enhancement would either lose strength in attacks, wouldn't be defensive enough, or be a powerhouse (not opposed to this). Tanks do do as much damage as DPS, so in order to balance, too much would need adjusted.
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. However what I imagine may be completely left field from the lore or norm.

I love the concept of an Earth Guardian. Axe/mace & board wielding, elemental enhancing meat shield.

I have 2 completely different concepts based on the same idea that while the role is tank they are also a heavy group enhancing function as well (sorta like the old enhance actually was)

Maelstom generators:
Rockbiter: ST and draws upon the earth to create a small stacking shield on the shaman for x amount.
Generates x maelstrom
Call of the Bog: calls forth a bog under the shaman increasing healing recieved of all party members and infecting enemies within the bog with conduction. Conduction slows the enemy by x% while in the big and increases dmg from Lightning Crash by x%. Generates x maelstrom
Lightning Crash: calls down Chain lightning on the target and chaining to all enemies within x meters. Damage increased to primary target by x% for each enemy hit. Generates x maelstrom
Cyclone: calls forth a cyclone lifts the target off the ground preventing actions for x sec. Does x dmg initially and x dmg over 5 sec. Dmg increased by x% for targets immune. Generates x maelstrom. Has 2 charges. 6 sec recharge.
Fire Nova: shaman emits pulses of fire radiating out scorching enemies dealing x dmg initially and causing the enemies to burn for x dmg over 3 sec. Stacks up to 3 times. Generates x maelstrom.

Maelsteom spenders
Sundering earth of (famous earth ele): shaman rips the earth apart stunning knock all enemies down and slams them with the power or earth dealing x dmg yo all enemies.
Healing Monsoon of (famous water ele): calls forth a healing monsoon that heals shaman for x and all allies for y. Healing on shaman increased by x for each ally healed. Healing increased on shaman by x if standing in bog. Healing increased on allies by y of standing in bog.
Cleansing flames of (famous fire ele):
Summons fire from the heavens to rain down in area searing away all curses and diseases from allies and deal x dmg to enemies. Dmg increased if enemies affected by fire nova debuff.
Gale winds of (famous wind ele): calls forth gale winds removing all movement impairing effects on all allies and increases movement speed by x% for x sec. Pushes enemies away from shaman and slows them by x% for x sec.

Totems:
Searing totem ST
Magma totem Aoe
Fire ward totem: increase ally crit by x%
HST prioritizes shaman then others less healing than resto
HTT smaller radius and less healing than resto
Water ward totem: allies generate x mana/rage/energy/maelstrom/x/x every x sec. If no allies within x increased maelstrom generation of shaman by x.
Wind fury totem: grants x% haste to all allies. If no allies within x increase shaman haste by x
Need a ST totem idea
Earth ward totem: reduces dmg taken by x% of all allies. If no allies within x range reduces shamans dmg taken by x.
Stoneskin totem: hardens shamans skin reducing dmg by x% and reflecting x% dmg taken back.

Elementals: shan shares HP pool with all elementals summoned. Only one elemental cen be summoned at a time. Elementals are fully controlled by shaman. 5 min CD each so you can basically rotate every min.
Fury of (famous earth ele): calls forth x to side the shaman. Taunts enemies in the area not aggroed by shaman.
Has a aoe stun
Has a shield/dmg reduction for elemental and shaman.
Has main attack that tremors out to aoe dmg.
Fury of (famous fire ele): calls forth x to aide shaman. Has a toggle aoe or ST. Has a aoe dot with CD.
Fury of (famous water ele): calls forth x to aide shaman. Has water bubble which is a short CD cc that suspends target incapacitating them and causing them to incur breath holding.
Has a long CD channeled water bubble that affects all targets in an area.
Fury of (famous wind ele): calls forth x to aide shaman. Vortex pull ability with charges. Reverse vortex push ability with charges. Cast LB or CL.

Ascendance: embraces all the elements. Cant be slowed, stunned. Immune to knockback and knockdowns. Calls forth mini versions of all 4 elementals that cannot be controlled for a shorter duration.

Enhanced abilities become:
Rockbiter becomes earthen sledge: Weapon become encased in earth fire wind and water increasing dmg done by x% and causing the target to take increased dmg from all shaman abiilities.
Call of the bog becomes rolling swamp increasing movement speed and rooting all enemies in place. Spell emits from shaman and moves as the shaman moves. Increases the effect of call of the bog.
Lightning crash becomes lightning overload and will always overload and each additional target affected has a reduced chance to create an overload.
Cyclone becomes unharnessed winds: generates two smaller twisters that seek on near by targets.
Fire Nova becomes volcanic eruption which causes volcanic eruptions to sprout forth from under targets hit with fire nova causing small aoe dmg.

Maelsteom spenders stay the same during Ascendance.
1 Like
You guys over here fantasizing about a pipe dream when shamans cant do anything well except press riptide and stormstrike in 3s.

I have no issues with this. Enhance used to be an off tank spec
1 Like
Lots of good ideas there Madalynn! If we're going to be taken seriously, the shaman tanking spec needs to be cohesively integrated into the current class balance. I think that means in terms of design and niche gameplay.

For example, Blood is self healing. Brew requires a healer but can smooth inc dmg like no one else. Warrior will sit at full and if they start to dip, things are probably getting outta control. Paladins bring party utility and healing, while DHs are arguably the most mobile out of the bunch with a bit of everything. (Honestly DHs have an ability from every class it feels like..) How will a shaman tank fit with these classes?

We also need a name for the spec. I love Earth Warden and think this is what we should go with. Open to new ideas though!
3 Likes
11/08/2018 09:43 AMPosted by Insolence
You guys over here fantasizing about a pipe dream when shamans cant do anything well except press riptide and stormstrike in 3s.

Why would ANY of this bother you salty dog?