Shaman Tank guide - Learn how to master World of Warcraft BurningCrusade Classic as a proficient Shaman Tank

I’m Caperfin. Questions? twitch.tv/caperfin

Intro: Can Shamans tank? The short and to the point answer is, yes. You might be rubbing your eyes in disbelief. Maybe conjuring a ten page manifesto about how only warriors can and should tank. Although, I can go on a long rant about the many other classes that can tank, today, I’ll be focusing on our totemic friend, the shaman.

The topic of viable and optimal is contentious as some don’t see the difference or mix them up and levy a misguided philosophy onto it. Optimal is the most efficient and foolproof solution that eliminates as many negative variables as possible and favors an easier path. Viable is seen as the more challenging path but to many is a greater personal triumph. Shaman Tank is labelled as Viable.

Many Shaman tanks agree their motivation is from the glory of seizing a feat the rest of the realm dares not try. If this resonates with you, please continue reading. You shaman tank for a challenge and a refreshing perspective from a 15 year old game.

When experienced players Shaman tank and put in the effort, it shines tenfold. Shamans can fully tank 5mans, 10mans, off-tank & main-tank raids. But, this relies on personal and guild experience. Our overall defensive statistics won’t reach a warrior’s. However, it isn’t necessary to do so, to tank.

Races
Video: Tank Races - Video Explanation
Dreanei Shaman, thus the Alliance, can have all classes use Bag of Marbles on a raid boss. Tauren Shaman get Endurance. Dreanei excels, if Bag of Marbles is involved, otherwise Horde Tauren wins.

Professions
Video: Professions - Youtube
Enchanting for Enchant Ring - Stats and Blacksmithing for Embrace of the Twisting Nether (its “use” effect).

Threat
We can increase threat in many ways, notably: Frost Shock, Stormstrike & Lightning Shield. Install a threat tracking addon, ex: ThreatClassic2. Consumable items deal threat, ex: Super Rejuvenation Potion based on half of the Health & Mana gained. Damaging Buffs, ex: Thorns and items, ex: Supper Sapper Charge deal threat equal to their damage. See the complete detailed Threat List: https://tinyurl.com/yy3p5pw9

Allies can reduce their threat, through items, ex: Fetish of the Sand Reaver. Mage have: Invisibility & Burning Soul. Warlock: Soulshatter. Paladin: Blessing of Salvation & Blessing of Protection (prevents aggro). Shaman: Tranquil Air Totem (stacks w/Salvation). Hunter redirect threat: Misdirection. Rogue & Hunter wipe threat: Vanish & Feign Death. Items can “pseudo-Taunt” a lvl72 elite boss: Masterwork Target Dummy. Classes in the 30-40 yard range won’t get aggro t’ill they surpass the threat level of the mob’s current target by 30%, as opposed to 10% for melee classes.

Totems

We don’t get threat from totems. Common totems: Grace of Air Totem, Stoneskin Totem & Healing Stream Totem. For AoE Tanking: Stoneclaw Totem followed by Fire Nova Totem & Earth Elemental Totem. Other Shamans can Earth Elemental Totem to help with a pack of mobs.

Talents

The main setup 16/45/0: https://tbc.wowhead.com/talent-calc/shaman/2503015-050500015550133500151

Rotation

• Pre Pull: Cast Lightning Shield & Windfury Weapon. Get all Buffs the group can supply. Put, Stoneskin Totem, Grace of Air Totem & Healing Stream Totem. Mark the mobs in front of you by right-clicking their portrait, pick Raid Target Icon, choose from a Skull = kill 1st, red X = kill 2nd, blue square = Freezing Trap and a moon = Polymorph.
  • Pulling: Rank12 Lightning Bolt, recast, followed by as many Rank1 Lightning Bolts to possibly get: Elemental Focus. At 20yards, Frost Shock.
  • Melee Range: In a fight, use Frost Shock ranks that suits mana & threat, lastly Stormstrike if need be. If Lightning Shield expires, recast. If death is imminent, equip a defensive weapon, ex: Grom’tor’s Charge, use: Heroic Potion, Shamanistic Rage & Nightmare Seed.
    Buffs + Debuffs There’s a cap of 32 Buffs, avoid nearing the cap as it may lead to unwanted Buff removal, the Addon: Buff Cap Tracker helps. Get defensive Buffs, ex: IronShield Potion before Threat Buffs, ex: Onslaught Elixir. (To learn more about Buffs, see this detailed Buffs List: https://tinyurl.com/buffs-list).

Buffs + Debuffs

There’s a cap of 32 Buffs, avoid nearing the cap as it may lead to unwanted Buff removal, the Addon: Buff Cap Tracker helps. Get defensive Buffs, ex: IronShield Potion before Threat Buffs, ex: Onslaught Elixir. (To learn more about Buffs, see this detailed Buffs List: https://tinyurl.com/tanking-buffs

Only 40 Debuffs can be on a mob. Having the most Debuffs is major in raids. There’s defensive Debuffs: Insect Swarm & threat Debuffs: Winter’s Chill among others (see List of Debuffs: https://tinyurl.com/debuffs-list With the raid leader’s consent, suggest ideal Debuffs without overstepping.

Gear + Enchants

Solidify defensive stats when gearing, threat is second. The Resilience & Defense stat helps us reach the 5.6% Crit Immunity Cap, PvP gear helps, ex: Gladiator’s Mail Helm. General Stat priority: Resilience/Defense (t’ill Cap) > Stamina > Armor > Parry > Dodge. For Heroic Dungeons: 12k Health & 11k Armor unbuffed. For Karazhan: 10.5k & 10.5k Armor. For Magtheridon’s Lair and Gruul: 13k Health & 12k Armor. See Gear List: https://tinyurl.com/tank-gear to learn more.

There’s two situational types of enchants, defensive, ex: Heavy Knothide Armor Kit. And offensive, ex: Enchant Gloves - Threat. Here’s a complete list of relevant Enchants: (https://tinyurl.com/enchants-list)

AoE Tanking

Many actions can further solidify AoE cases, ex: Oil of Immolation, Stormchops, Force Reactive Disk, etc… (see List: https://tinyurl.com/AoEtanking) At the start of a fight, items like Thornling Seed/Masterwork Target Dummy & spells, ex: Fire Elemental Totem/Fire Elemental Totem can distract mobs by tanking them while you deal threat on them.

Group Composition

For Dungeons: Shadow Priest, Retribution Paladin, Beast Mastery Hunter & Healer Priest. In raids, offer an ideal comp without overstepping. In our group, Warlock: Blood Pact, Paladin: Devotion Aura, Druid: Tree of Life, Warrior: Commanding Shout. A member (pref healer) can use: Thick Felsteel Necklace. Outside the group, ranged classes are favored over melee. If melee are needed, Rogues are best.

Shaman Tank Youtube: youtube.com/caperfin
Warden Gameplay: twitch.tv/caperfin
Shaman Tank Discord: https://discord.com/invite/CJ6c893y5h
Wotlk Shaman Tank Guide

6 Likes

Haven’t you already posted this thread like, multiple times?

1 Like

How to tank as a shaman:

• delete shaman
  • create druid, warrior or paladin.
  • use the right spec.
8 Likes

Good joke.

2 Likes

At least put a disclaimer on this.

Not intended.
More difficult runs for everyone.
Longer runs for everyone.
Lacks meaningful tanking tools.
Not suitable for progression.
Not recommended for pugs.

3 Likes

the amount of hoops to jump through in your guide makes this seem less viable and more extra work to make a class kind of work as a tank for dungeons sometimes. The build has the threat reduction talent even?

Aka, play the game like its a cookie cutter since Thereza can’t understand how creativity or joy work.

And if they’re hand isn’t held they’ll just complain. Some people need an easy game to feel good about themselves.

2 Likes

I’ve seen you post this topic a couple of times but never in the BCC forum.

It’s always nice to see helpful threads and people having fun, thanks!

1 Like

I’m sorry I don’t find enjoyment from playing those classes that have been heavily dissected and expunged of any sense of challenge. I like people talking in voice chat and working as a team to resolve an obstacle ahead.

Shaman tank isnt viable. Viable requires it to be successful. It will never be successful in Sunwell. There are many bosses in T6 that it cannot successfully tank. By definition Shaman tanking is not a viable choice. If it is unable to tank a boss even with everything you possibly can use to do so, then it isnt viable. Shaman tanking is fine if you want to do it, but dont kid yourself that its a good choice or viable. Its just something fun to do on the side. People are welcome to do it, but at the end of the day it is not a viable tank. A rogue can successfully tank gruul. Would you call that a viable tank?

1 Like

I love seeing how these off-meta posts always make people on the forums get so angry because you’re trying to have fun in a way that they don’t approve. I hope there are many more of these posts so that I can see all of their collective stress levels explode.

Thanks for writing up a nice guide to an alternative way of enjoying the game. I’ve always loved playing games differently than the accepted way and it has always been more enjoyable doing that. Keep up the good work OP!

2 Likes

So you’re just going to ignore all the content it was viable and successful in? Why is it always druids that get the most worked up about Shaman tanks?

1 Like

“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

Yes, that is literally the definition of viable: capable of working successfully; feasible.

The word you are thinking about is optimal. Also, no one is saying shamans can Main tank all content.

1 Like

Here’s a much easier route that doesn’t require forcing a class to do something it wasn’t intended nor any walls of text to explain how.

1. Roll a paladin.
  2. Spec protection.

Some people like to play with a handicap, and make life harder for the entire raid.

For those kinds of people, there are Shaman ‘tanks’.

Don’t DPS have to throttle themselves so shaman’s can hold aggro?

Some people like things harder. Ask your mom.

Mom jokes in 2022? LOL

Sup Mennarch! How are you doing?

I play on arcanite reaper. smallest server in the world. We pull shamans off the street and put them in as a tank.

Sham tank is good actually.

There is worse kinds of tank than a shaman. For example, a hunter tank. If I knew about shaman tank when I was Lv15, I wouldn’t be a Lv62 rogue right now, but it’s too late.

You will offend most non-shamans, and a lot of shamans too, by being the shaman tank.

Sham tank is like Mario, due to the ANKH… If he gets crushed, he loses a life. If he ankhs, he gain a life (green shroom). Think about it.